• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Zimbabwe thread

Langeveldt

Soutie
Kind of like the test match from hell...

Farce of a match
Farce of a Zimbabwe XI
Farce of a bowler taking a farcical amount of wickets..

Shame its in the backdrop of what i think is the nicest FC ground in the world...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
why is taylor opening the batting?he doesnt have the technique to open.i recckon he should bat at 4.

Well seeing as he's been an opener all his life (per his CI profile) I guess that's the reason?

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Kind of like the test match from hell...

Farce of a match
Farce of a Zimbabwe XI
Farce of a bowler taking a farcical amount of wickets..

Shame its in the backdrop of what i think is the nicest FC ground in the world...
Yes with 519 Test wickets, I wouldnt mind being a farce of a bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
these zimbabwe bowlers need to learn to pitch the ball up. how can you continously bowl short and wide to jayasuriya?!

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Well seeing as he's been an opener all his life (per his CI profile) I guess that's the reason?
so?its not as though hes been tested as an opener by the quality of bowling in zimbabwe. i think the way he played in the ODI series was a clear indication that his technique is not quite upto the mark as an opener. you dont expose what is potentially you're best player by sending him up front now do you?

Loony BoB

International Captain
tooextracool said:
so?its not as though hes been tested as an opener by the quality of bowling in zimbabwe. i think the way he played in the ODI series was a clear indication that his technique is not quite upto the mark as an opener. you dont expose what is potentially you're best player by sending him up front now do you?
This coming from a guy who says that Gayle plays with an awful technique. :)

Taylor had the second highest average of the Zimbabwean batsmen, and the second highest score. I think it's safe to say his technique, for the whole five games he played, is a lot better than the rest of them, with the possible exception of Taibu. They need someone at the top and in the middle who can last a decent time, and in the middle they have Taibu and at the top they have Taylor. I'm honestly shocked at your perspective, but I guess it's each to their own.

EDIT:
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
They call this Test cricket? The ICC is ridiculous to let this go on.
I agree! Say, how many days do you think Sri Lanka will bat for? What kind of score would we be looking at? Any guesses?

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
This coming from a guy who says that Gayle plays with an awful technique. :)
1) i was loking at it from zimbabwes perspective.....now zimbabwe wouldnt mind a gayle in their side now would they?
2)gayles technique is worse(but he does make that gap up with his extremely good eye and power stroke play)
3)gayle has the worst temperament that you'll ever see.
those are reasons why for me gayle shouldnt be in the WI test side.

Loony BoB said:
Taylor had the second highest average of the Zimbabwean batsmen, and the second highest score. I think it's safe to say his technique, for the whole five games he played, is a lot better than the rest of them, with the possible exception of Taibu. They need someone at the top and in the middle who can last a decent time, and in the middle they have Taibu and at the top they have Taylor. I'm honestly shocked at your perspective, but I guess it's each to their own.
taylor does not have the best technique in their side but hes potentially their best player. you dont throw a player like that upfront when the pitch is doing a bit. generally good players bat at 3-4 and not upfront to shield themselves from the new ball.id rather they send someone whos not as good to open....because you're probably going to get the same amount of runs from taylor opening the batting as well.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well Tatenda's brought himself on and got rid of Jayasuriya, and Matsikenyeri's accounted for Sangakkara.

Atapattu is on 140*, and I thoroughly expect him to go on to another double - I reckon we'll have a declaration just before the end of Day 3 when Marvan makes his treble century, then Zimbabwe will fall over on Day 4.

Expect a feature article on Zimbabwe soon.

a massive zebra

International Captain
KC Sangakkara c Taibu b Matsikenyeri 11 38 26 2 0
DPMD Jayawardene c Utseya b Chigumbura 37 52 52 5 0
TM Dilshan c Utseya b Mahwire 10 69 33 1 0
TT Samaraweera c Taibu b Panyangara 6 21 17 1 0
+HAPW Jayawardene b Panyangara 4 4 4 0 0

Whats going on here?????????

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Sri Lanka's lower order bludgeon their way to 541, 342 runs ahead on first innings.

Zimbabwe are now 17-4. Nuwan Zoysa 4-2-3-3.

PY

International Coach
Make that 18/5 as Zoysa claims his fourth wicket for three runs.

A total joke.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Test Totals Under 40
26 New Zealand v England Auckland 1954/55
30 South Africa v England Port Elizabeth 1895/96
30 South Africa v England Birmingham 1924
35 South Africa v England Cape Town 1898/99
36 Australia v England Birmingham 1902
36 South Africa v Australia Melbourne 1931/32