• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Tendulkar a choker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beleg

International Regular
Yes. And to clarify my position, the notion of Tendulkar being a choker sound ridikulus to me.

Sehwag309

Banned
Absolutely not,

If he was, he wouldn't have survived in Indian Cricket for 14 years, may he is getting out frequently in pressure situations becasue he forgets/confused what role to play. Natural or for the team

tooextracool

International Coach
Sehwag309 said:
Absolutely not,

If he was, he wouldn't have survived in Indian Cricket for 14 years, may he is getting out frequently in pressure situations becasue he forgets/confused what role to play. Natural or for the team

he isnt a choker but fails in pressure situations because he forgets/confused about his role to play??? proved your point there didnt you?

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
I am not sure on this, but how many times has he saved his country with a big innings?
thats the question i would ask....when tendulkar fails under pressure people say "you dont expect him to play well all the time do u?"... the fact 99/100 times he fails under pressure.contrast that to dravid and you'll see why i consider him a much better player than sachin.

Craig

World Traveller
Well in many aspects I would prefer Rahul Dravid over SRT and this is one area it is.

In saying that SRT has played some significant innings when under pressure, like that 116 in Brett Lee's first Test.

Loony BoB

International Captain
tooextracool said:
thats the question i would ask....when tendulkar fails under pressure people say "you dont expect him to play well all the time do u?"... the fact 99/100 times he fails under pressure.contrast that to dravid and you'll see why i consider him a much better player than sachin.
Keep in mind that considering Tendulkar is higher up the order, if he's batting well then there isn't any pressure in the first place. He stops the pressure from ever existing. You can't say an opener or high-order batsman consistently performs well under pressure because you don't come into the batting lineup in a pressure position. The middle and lower order are the people who face the real pressure about 95% of the time. Dravid is in the same position as Tendulkar, really. As for performing under this fairly equal pressure that they have - if anything, Tendulkar being one position lower has slightly more pressure than Dravid does - Tendulkar has been performing better than Dravid so far in these three innings they've been involved in.

Let's go to a lost series instead, just to see if that changes things. Say the series against New Zealand. In the first match, when things were evenly poised (obviously as they were 0-0), Dravid performed well. In the second test, when that was no longer the case and India were down one game (higher pressure), Dravid was out for low scores on both occasions and Tendulkar managed a 50.

Now, I don't think Dravid is a choker by any means. But I don't think Tendulkar qualifies, either. Dravid out-averaged Tendulkar during the Australian tour, too, but Tendulkar still averaged 76.6 - is that the sign of a choker? No, that's the average of a great batsman. Dravid just happened to have a higher average on that tour. That's two great batsmen. Go to the World Cup. Average of 61.18, high score of 152. Dravid managed an average of 63.6 which was higher than his high score of 62, so I don't know what to say about that. xD Too many not-outs and too little high scores to compare.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I suppose at the end of the day it depends what you mean by 'choking', as such it is open to interpretation in a number of ways.

For the purpose of this study, I have looked only at situations where India have been batting in their second innings. This doesn't include games where India only batted once - I suppose none of those would constitute clutch or pressure situations in the way this thread is engineered anyway.

Sachin Tendulkar has played in 102 games where India have had 2 innings. His averages (no, I don't think that they are an answer to anything either) are as follows:

(times batted, not out, overall ave, games won ave, games drawn ave, games lost ave)

72, 14, 46.98, 60.54, 72.71, 31.54

Rahul Dravid, on the other hand, has played in 71 games where India have had two knocks. His averages are as follows:

56, 11, 50.46, 66.60, 86.09, 27.41.

Dravid's figures in the second innings are consistently better than Tendulkar's when India do actually win or draw the game, yet by a similar amount are worse when India lose. That might actually imply that Dravid's the bigger choker when the chips are really down (i.e. when India are really up against it and fail to save the game) but that Tendulkar's the bigger choker when India are in with a chance of winning or saving the game, having to be bailed out by someone else.

I actually think that the figures show that both are quite brilliant players, but both play better under easier circumstances (i.e. when there is less pressure).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Both are very good players (SRT and RD)... I still rate Dravid higher though... However a lot of criticism has been dished on tendulkar (who is still a great great player)...

Coming next in cricket chat..
- Tendulkar or Rikki Clarke?
- Should Sachin bat at nine?

masterblaster

International Captain
Hell, you'd have to be insane to think so. People have such a short term memory, or they suffer from short term memory loss!

I mean, a man with that record who has saved India so many times doesn't deserve to get put down so much.

Are our expectations of SRT too unrealistic? I think they are, he is as hardworking a batsman in world cricket, and every time he doesn't make runs (which is completely normal by the way, as he isn't God) pressure mounts on him.

Give him a break, he's a legend of the game, but definitely not a choker.

Status
Not open for further replies.