• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Tendulkar a choker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
madcricketer said:
Hey there man. You wrote in your previous post that you dont think Sachin is a good batsmen and then you say that I think that Sachin is a chocker. I said Sachin is not a chocker and if you dont like Sachin you should agree with this statemenr. Apparently you dont know what you are writing
You misunderstand me madcricketer, I was merely trying to figure out what exactly your position on the matter was. I absolutely think Tendulkar's a choker, and I've had many arguments with fellow Indian fans about this.

Bapu Rao Swami

U19 12th Man
The highest electronically-measured speed for a ball is 160.45km/h (99.7mph) by Australia's Jeff Thomson against the West Indies in 1975.

However Shaoib Akhtar, officially is the fastest bowler that cricket has ever seen.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Merely piling on run after run shows me nothing except he can put bat on ball
only, he has put the bat on the ball more times than anyone else in the history of the game(or close to it anyway).

I absolutely think Tendulkar's a choker
he's single handedly won matches for india by the bucket fulls. i dont give a damn if he cant, in a few instances, contribute when a match is already doomed.

its funny how all this cr*p about sachin being a choker coincides with his bad form. Typical attitude of indian supporters (selective amnesia coupled with a very short-term memory).

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
There was a poignant touch at the end, when – with nine Pakistani second-innings wickets down – Sourav Ganguly tossed the ball to Sachin Tendulkar. For much of the previous decade, team India had ridden piggyback on Tendulkar's shoulders. And time after time, they had fallen short, despite his immense efforts. Now, after 15 years in international cricket, he finds himself part of a team worthy of his talent. Having ploughed an almost-lonely furrow for so long, he can now reap a rich harvest.

It's been a steady progression, from Headingley in 2002 to this first-ever series victory in Pakistan. There was a noticeable blip in New Zealand just before the World Cup, but that was largely due to appalling pitches that made both Test matches a lottery. What was most important, as Shaharyar Khan, the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board, pointed out after the game, was the mental strength of the side, and its evolution from being a two-man army – Tendulkar and Anil Kumble carried the team for most of the 1990s – to a complete outfit.
From Dileep Premachandran's Wisden Verdict

Do you consider yourself the best batsman in the world at the moment?
No. Look at a [Brian] Lara or a [Sachin] Tendulkar. These guys have achieved so much over such a long period of time. They are special players, each a genius. Look at the way they bat, take on so much pressure and the expectations of people. I have done well over the last couple of seasons but I don't go around rating batsmen. I guess I am one of the few successful batsmen over the last couple of seasons.
Rahul Dravid in his interview

Ok. I think enough has been said. This is Tendulkar's hour as much as anyone else's, and those who don't recognize it as such are woefully short-sighted.

Attachments

Last edited:

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
tendulkar being a choker?......
i would not call him that......
but his performances in crunch situations and on occasions where his team has been in a hole have not been upto the mark.

in pressure situations like the world cup final, the natwest trophy final against india, the vb series final, the 1997 encounter against paksitan in india (where anwar scored 194), the tri series final(1999 ind vs pak which pakistan won in india), countless finals played against pakistan(yes i know that a lot of people are gonna come up with the 98 he scored in the world cup), 96 world cup semi final against sri lanka, pressure situtations aginats aus in 2001,

ill post more

he is one of my fav batsmen though....
but i think dravid is more reliable in tough situations....

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
thehellraiser said:
tendulkar being a choker?......
i would not call him that......
but his performances in crunch situations and on occasions where his team has been in a hole have not been upto the mark.

in pressure situations like the world cup final, the natwest trophy final against india, the vb series final, the 1997 encounter against paksitan in india (where anwar scored 194), the tri series final(1999 ind vs pak which pakistan won in india), countless finals played against pakistan(yes i know that a lot of people are gonna come up with the 98 he scored in the world cup), 96 world cup semi final against sri lanka, pressure situtations aginats aus in 2001,

ill post more

he is one of my fav batsmen though....
but i think dravid is more reliable in tough situations....
I agree, when the chips are down, I don't think we (meaning Indian fans) can afford to have too much confidence in Tendulkar. And certainly not as much as we have in other players.

Swervy

International Captain
erm...I dont think India as a whole have a great record on ODI's that really count, so to single out Tendulkar is a bit unfair..

I am sure a couple of big scores by sachin will change the opinions of many people on him...please bear in mind that he has also kept India in a number of games which India havent even deserved to be anywhere near close to winning.

God...how many hundreds has the guy got in international cricket...some people are never happy

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Tendulkar is like everybody with extra talented gifts.. "like everbody" meaning he has his bad days etc too.. you cant expect him to score 100 each game with all that pressure..give the man his space.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
in pressure situations like the world cup final
who got them to the finals(could it be the record 675 runs after the whole world thought india wouldnt even get to the super sixes.98 against pak,must win game. run a ball 50 against eng, must win game).

I agree, when the chips are down, I don't think we (meaning Indian fans) can afford to have too much confidence in Tendulkar. And certainly not as much as we have in other players.
this when someone already posted sachin averages more than dravid in a losing cause and is just as impressive in drawn games.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Raj123 said:
who got them to the finals(could it be the record 675 runs after the whole world thought india wouldnt even get to the super sixes.98 against pak,must win game. run a ball 50 against eng, must win game).
this thread is about tendulkar choking in the big match situations(finals etc) i dont see how u could bring up the 675 runs that he scored before the semi finals and finals and use it to prove ur point.

Raj123 said:
this when someone already posted sachin averages more than dravid in a losing cause and is just as impressive in drawn games.
perhaps it is because tendulkar more often fails to finish the job after getting 50 while dravid goes on to actually get the big scores and WIN the game(thereby adding to his winning average!)?
the 1st test match in the 98 series against pakistan where he choked and lost the game for india?

Raj123

U19 Debutant
this thread is about tendulkar choking in the big match situations(finals etc) i dont see how u could bring up the 675 runs that he scored before the semi finals and finals and use it to prove ur point.
first match against holland - scratchy pergormance from india
lost 2nd match embarrasingly
everyone wrote india off. demonstrations were carried out in india and abuses hurled at their families. india had to get to the 6's. i'd say at that stage every match was a big match. and he passed each one with flying colours. that is how it is relevant.

the 1st test match in the 98 series against pakistan where he choked and lost the game for india?
136 is choking? only if someone bothered to stay with him.

tooextracool

International Coach
Raj123 said:
136 is choking? only if someone bothered to stay with him.
yea at 254/6 chasing 270 it was not a question of other staying with him but him staying with others. it happens all the time with tendulkar....he never finishes the job. i seem to remember the recent 2nd odi match where he failed to finish it off yet again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If it's 254-6 chasing 270, you cannot blame the one man for defeat.

Had he got out early, they'd have been hammered.

The guy cannot win in some people's eyes, I wonder if it's just jealousy?

tooextracool

International Coach
i did not blame him for defeat....my point is he always chokes under pressure.this coupled with the fact that he is more of a flat pitch bully than an actually "great" player makes him overrated .

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
tooextracool said:
i did not blame him for defeat....my point is he always chokes under pressure.this coupled with the fact that he is more of a flat pitch bully than an actually "great" player makes him overrated .
you never explained properly what a flat pitch is on the other thread, evertime you said something about it, you contradicted yourself. I think this thread is overrated.

tooextracool

International Coach
maxpower said:
you never explained properly what a flat pitch is on the other thread, evertime you said something about it, you contradicted yourself. I think this thread is overrated.
how many times do u keep bringing that up??i never contradicted myself and u basically had no clue what u were talking about.just kept bringing up what javed miandad said

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
originally posted by tooextracool:

reply:
i agree, he has been known to get huge scores on flat pitches and not come to the party on dificult tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.