• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chokers in the game today!

Which players do you think are the notorious chokers in the game today?

Players that are otherwise good and perform well, but in tight situation fails to live upto their reputation coz of pressure.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tony Blade said:
No one has to be called a choker. One team played better than the other....
yes but when one player play well in the preliminary games against a particular team and then fails in the finals against the same team ...what else could u call him?

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
Andrew Symonds and of lately Michael Bevan cant play test at all and no form in odis means no career just like what happened to slater but reverse he could'nt play 1 dayers too good bad luck bevo

Raj123

U19 Debutant
mr sachin tendulkar
and his 141 in the second odi....was a fluke right.
Umm. Well, in some cases a player may just get a really really good delivery.
lets just forget this fact for a while so people can come up with some pedestrian theories. :rolleyes:

Cloete

International Captain
Raj123 said:
and his 141 in the second odi....was a fluke right.

lets just forget this fact for a while so people can come up with some pedestrian theories. :rolleyes:
Yes but I think tooextracool is right. You Indians build him up into a superstar (I admit he is one of the best batsman in teh history of cricket) yet he often chokes in crucuial situations. I don't think you can really have it both ways. For someone that good they shouldn't choke, dare I say it, AS much as Tendulkar in cruycial situations. Sure he deos save the team on a fair few ocasions, but more often than not he chokes.

As for that Bevan and Symonds comment. I don't think that's exactly what the thread is getting at. I think he means that it's players who choke in pressure situations, not players who aren't good at one form or the like. So Bevan would definitely have to be one of the msot reliable players in ODI's, definitely not a choker for all intensive purposes of this thread!

Sehwag309

Banned
His test figures in each country are as follows.

Australia........646@46.14 with 3 hundreds
Bangladesh......18@18.00
England.........673@74.77 with 3 hundreds
India............3327@61.61 with 12 hundreds
New Zealand..398@49.75 with 1 hundred
Pakistan........215@35.83
South Africa...443@36.91 with 2 hundreds
Sri Lanka........670@111.66 with 4 hundreds
West Indies....289@57.80
Zimbabwe.......240@40.00

16 of his 25 hundreds have been scored in Asia.

Tendulkar has scored in
Winning series....... 2621@70.83 with 10 hundreds
Lost series.............2768@49.42 with 10 hundreds
Drawn series..........1530@54.64 with 5 hundreds.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Sure he wins them, but he tends to choke when they are on the back foot. Put it this way, he most certainly isn't as good as when they are on top.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
Sure he wins them, but he tends to choke when they are on the back foot. Put it this way, he most certainly isn't as good as when they are on top.
Which is not something you can accuse any other player in the world of?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
Oh yes because his average in a losing cause is a shocking one isn't it!

tooextracool

International Coach
Sehwag309 said:
His test figures in each country are as follows.

Australia........646@46.14 with 3 hundreds
Bangladesh......18@18.00
England.........673@74.77 with 3 hundreds
India............3327@61.61 with 12 hundreds
New Zealand..398@49.75 with 1 hundred
Pakistan........215@35.83
South Africa...443@36.91 with 2 hundreds
Sri Lanka........670@111.66 with 4 hundreds
West Indies....289@57.80
Zimbabwe.......240@40.00
amazing stats those....yet he has never won a game( let alone a series) outside the sub continent for india for the last 10 years. IMO tendulkar is a good player thats it....but for people in india to make him out to be like a cricketing god is just ridiculous. IMO he wouldnt even make the list of top 25 test batsman in the history of the game.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
yet he has never won a game( let alone a series) outside the sub continent for india for the last 10 years. IMO tendulkar is a good player thats it....IMO he wouldnt even make the list of top 25 test batsman in the history of the game.
mate, go have a nap for tonight. you can post again in the morning when you are sober. :laugh:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
IMO he wouldnt even make the list of top 25 test batsman in the history of the game.

OK then, go ahead and list 25 better than him - I'm sure we'd all like to see this list.

NikhilN

International Regular
Cloete said:
Yes but I think tooextracool is right. You Indians build him up into a superstar (I admit he is one of the best batsman in teh history of cricket) yet he often chokes in crucuial situations. I don't think you can really have it both ways. For someone that good they shouldn't choke, dare I say it, AS much as Tendulkar in cruycial situations. Sure he deos save the team on a fair few ocasions, but more often than not he chokes.

As for that Bevan and Symonds comment. I don't think that's exactly what the thread is getting at. I think he means that it's players who choke in pressure situations, not players who aren't good at one form or the like. So Bevan would definitely have to be one of the msot reliable players in ODI's, definitely not a choker for all intensive purposes of this thread!
Tendulkars getting old man...he has been player for 15 years now.You cant expect him to be as good as he used to be...

NikhilN

International Regular
tooextracool said:
amazing stats those....yet he has never won a game( let alone a series) outside the sub continent for india for the last 10 years. IMO tendulkar is a good player thats it....but for people in india to make him out to be like a cricketing god is just ridiculous. IMO he wouldnt even make the list of top 25 test batsman in the history of the game.
If thats the case then why does Tendulkar hold the record for the most man of the match awards in ODIs?