• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisdens Top 40 players

Swervy

International Captain
The top 40 players in the world based on performance have been listed in Wisden Almanac this year, with Ricky Ponting coming out as the player of the year...here is the full list:

Michael Bevan (Australia)
Andy Bichel (Australia)
Mark Boucher (South Africa)
Rahul Dravid (India)
Stephen Fleming (New Zealand)
Andrew Flintoff (England)
Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa)
Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
Jason Gillespie (Australia)
Matthew Hayden (Australia)
Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan)
Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
Michael Kasprowicz (Australia)
Gary Kirsten (South Africa)
Anil Kumble (India)
Justin Langer (Australia)
Brian Lara (West Indies)
VVS Laxman (India)
Brett Lee (Australia)
Darren Lehmann (Australia)
Stuart MacGill (Australia)
Glenn McGrath (Australia)
Damien Martyn (Australia)
Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
Mushtaq Ahmed (Pakistan)
Makhaya Ntini (South Africa)
Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
Ricky Ponting (Australia) - The Leading Cricketer in the World
Mark Richardson (New Zealand)
Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka)
Virender Sehwag (India)
Shoaib Ahktar (Pakistan)
Graeme Smith (South Africa)
Heath Streak (Zimbabwe)
Sachin Tendulkar (India)
Marcus Trescothick (England)
Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka)
Michael Vaughan (England)
Steve Waugh (Australia)
Yousuf Youhanna (Pakistan)

Interesting to see Bichel and Bevan in there,now without an Aussie contract...and for those Trescothick knockers,'Banger' is in the list

Swervy

International Captain
Tony Blade said:
Top 40 is a pretty large list....
yeah maybe...but the you have got to consider that it is for tests and ODI's (different squads etc) and with Mushtaq Ahmed in there I assume they dont really have to have performed on the international scene either..so out of what must be hundreds of first class players in the world, 40 seems to be ok.

Cloete

International Captain
Swervy said:
yeah maybe...but the you have got to consider that it is for tests and ODI's (different squads etc) and with Mushtaq Ahmed in there I assume they dont really have to have performed on the international scene either..so out of what must be hundreds of first class players in the world, 40 seems to be ok.

yeah but Wisden is always based strongly on the English First Class Season. It always has been and it always will be. Just look at their top 5 players. It's been that way since about 1880 or so if i remember correctly.

Swervy

International Captain
Cloete said:
yeah but Wisden is always based strongly on the English First Class Season. It always has been and it always will be. Just look at their top 5 players. It's been that way since about 1880 or so if i remember correctly.
i think this list is done differently...i think its based on opinions of journos around the world or something

Cloete

International Captain
Swervy said:
i think this list is done differently...i think its based on opinions of journos around the world or something

hmm..... you'd think Matt Elliott would get recognition then. He scored the highest ever total of runs in an Australian First Class cricket. 1429 @ 79.38 from 12 matches (21 Innings). So i dunno, it's still probably weighted towards englisj county cricket.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Cloete said:
hmm..... you'd think Matt Elliott would get recognition then. He scored the highest ever total of runs in an Australian First Class cricket. 1429 @ 79.38 from 12 matches (21 Innings). So i dunno, it's still probably weighted towards englisj county cricket.
It got Matt Elliot a CA contract........

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
So i dunno, it's still probably weighted towards englisj county cricket.
In spite of the fact that most of that list either didn't play or barely played in it?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
The top 40 players in the world based on performance have been listed in Wisden Almanac this year, with Ricky Ponting coming out as the player of the year...here is the full list:

Michael Bevan (Australia)
Andy Bichel (Australia)
Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
Jason Gillespie (Australia)
Matthew Hayden (Australia)
Michael Kasprowicz (Australia)
Justin Langer (Australia)
Brett Lee (Australia)
Darren Lehmann (Australia)
Stuart MacGill (Australia)
Glenn McGrath (Australia)
Damien Martyn (Australia)
Ricky Ponting (Australia) - The Leading Cricketer in the World
Steve Waugh (Australia)

more than a team of Australians....

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
In spite of the fact that most of that list either didn't play or barely played in it?

i'm not saying it's the whole list. i'm just saying that's teh reason people like Mushy got into it.

Btw Nikhil that's a very stupid thing to say. You should probably use the wors might or pobably. Because it can be seen as very bias if you say he WILL or WILL NOT be...

Craig

World Traveller
McGrath's name is interesting got his name on the list considering he has hardly played for Australia post WC 2003?

Lee and Trescothick along with Bichel and Bevan would of have to been picked mainly on their ODI performances.

Scott Styris would have been unlucky to miss out..

tooextracool

International Coach
surprised to see mcgrath on that list considering he barely played in 2003 and also to see stuart macgill.....class and form?neither in 03

bennyr

U19 12th Man
This list looks like it was compiled by a commitee made up of drunk spectators from Bay 13 in Melbourne and the SCG Hill.

Stuart MacGill?
Damien Martyn?
Glenn McGrath?
Steve Waugh?

Hell - why not throw in Warney in there?

Andre

International Regular
bennyr said:
This list looks like it was compiled by a commitee made up of drunk spectators from Bay 13 in Melbourne and the SCG Hill.

Stuart MacGill?
Damien Martyn?
Glenn McGrath?
Steve Waugh?

Hell - why not throw in Warney in there?
MacGill: Second most Test wickets in 2003. Gotta count for something, no matter how many bad balls he bowls.

Martyn: Erm, he batted well in the World Cup Final....I'm struggling after that :lol:

McGrath: Bowled well in the World Cup... Again, I'm struggling.

S. Waugh: That perfect day!!! Also knocked off a ton in the WI and tons against Bangladesh. Don't remember what his series was like against Zimbabwe but had a solid series against India. Probably one of the best 40 performed cricketers of 2003.

A list of 40 will always account for some general picks.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Andre said:
Martyn: Erm, he batted well in the World Cup Final....I'm struggling after that :lol:
What about consistently averaging 40 in his supposed "poor form" then 2 tons in SL?

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
What about consistently averaging 40 in his supposed "poor form" then 2 tons in SL?
Infact to add even more to his argument Martyns 2003 ODI year was his best ODI season ever. He pushed his OD avrage up from 39 to 45 at one stage now it's back to about 40-41 were it should be.

He avraged around 70 I think with a very high strike rate. How quickly people forget though.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Eclipse said:
Infact to add even more to his argument Martyns 2003 ODI year was his best ODI season ever. He pushed his OD avrage up from 39 to 45 at one stage now it's back to about 40-41 were it should be.

He avraged around 70 I think with a very high strike rate. How quickly people forget though.
His ODI average was 58.53 in the calendar year. Your point is taken. I will attempt to check my facts before relying on my poor, confused brain in the future.