Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High time ICC have a check on the umpires

International Coach biased indian's Avatar

High time ICC have a check on the umpires

This year alone there has been far too many mistakes made by the umpires in the game.they are now a dyas makeing more mistakes than correct decision.just look at the last two matches
    inzamam,youhan where at the receving end at multan and both of them benifitted at lahore.in the W.I vs england series also there was a lot of mistakes made.

Clearly icc should do something to check the mistakes made by umpires or other wise the game will be decided by the poor decision made by the umpires rather than good play by the players.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    'bad' decisions have always been made...but we now have the tools to analyse the decisions endlessly.

I think its time to get over it,umpires are humans and have to make split second judgements...more often than not, they make the correct decision
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Swervy
    'bad' decisions have always been made...but we now have the tools to analyse the decisions endlessly.

I think its time to get over it,umpires are humans and have to make split second judgements...more often than not, they make the correct decision
    point accepted the bad decisions are part of the game. but in recent past the number of bad decision by the umpires have been on the rise and that is not a good trend

Originally posted by koch_cha
    point accepted the bad decisions are part of the game. but in recent past the number of bad decision by the umpires have been on the rise and that is not a good trend
    do you have proof that the number of bad decisions is on the rise?

Originally posted by Swervy
    do you have proof that the number of bad decisions is on the rise?
    i guess u dont watch international cricket that often just have a look at the games played in 2004 alone

in the 2 test matches played between india and pakistan their were atleast 6 bad decision

i guess u dont watch international cricket that often just have a look at the games played in 2004 alone

in the 2 test matches played between india and pakistan their were atleast 6 bad decision
    so in actual fact you are basing your opinion on 2 tests...hardly constitutes a trend.

My point is,it is impossible to figure out whether there are more bad decisions now than in the past.

To Fan A, and LBW decision might be wrong if given not out
    Fan B might think there is enough doubt to given the benefit of that doubt to the batsman.

30years ago,you might have got a slow motion replay of the ball,but from a bad angle or even behind the batsman, so no-one could really judge whether the decision was right or not.

It seems as though bad decisions are on the rise,but in reality they probably arent

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Today's match a classic case in point - Imran and Gavaskar in the Sky studio, discussing all of the appeals. Their conclusion? None of them (the lbws) were 'bad' decisions, but Taufel got a caught behind wrong.

Now if two paragons of the game, one from each country, can agree that they were not plumb but debatable, I guess you would think that fans would follow their lead.

But no. Hell fire. The umpires have a difficult enough job as it is without the pressure Joe and Ranjit Public put on them. If you think I'm always taking the side of the umpires, you are dead right - and I have good reason to. A good friend of mine from the past was hounded out of test umpiring by ridiculous accusations.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Originally posted by luckyeddie
    Today's match a classic case in point - Imran and Gavaskar in the Sky studio, discussing all of the appeals. Their conclusion? None of them (the lbws) were 'bad' decisions, but Taufel got a caught behind wrong.

Now if two paragons of the game, one from each country, can agree that they were not plumb but debatable, I guess you would think that fans would follow their lead.

But no. Hell fire. The umpires have a difficult enough job as it is without the pressure Joe and Ranjit Public put on them. If you think I'm always taking the side of the umpires, you are dead right - and I have good reason to. A good friend of mine from the past was hounded out of test umpiring by ridiculous accusations.
    was he 'CONSTANT'-ly hounded?

Pinball Champion!
    Nah these guys have a hell of a hard job.. if you dont believe it then go and umpire in a club match where there is a bit of needle...

I know these guys are professionals and they are paid, but its incredibly hard... And what goes around comes around, the luck evens itself out eventually...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Its easy to say that umpires are making too many bad decisions when you are sitting at home with the benefit of replays, hawkeye and this new ultra something. Umpires can't spend four hours making a decision and discussing it with other people. He must make it on the spot and yes, he is going to make the odd mistake. Remember, some of these balls are coming down at 85/90 mph. Think you could take a car plate as it zooms past you at that speed?
    Generally, the umpires do a good job. They are much respected in the game and have the benefit of years of experience behind them.
    Do you think they feel delighted when they look up at the big screen and see a replay only to realise that they've made a mistake?

Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Nah these guys have a hell of a hard job.. if you dont believe it then go and umpire in a club match where there is a bit of needle...

I know these guys are professionals and they are paid, but its incredibly hard... And what goes around comes around, the luck evens itself out eventually...
    But it doesnt mean that we should try to have the best man possible for the job. some of them are not performing to their earlier standerd

i am not saying about LBW its been 50:50 all the time
    but missing edges is not a good thing

Pinball Champion!
    But it doesnt mean that we should try to have the best man possible for the job. some of them are not performing to their earlier standerd
    Judging the ability of an umpire is extremely hard though...

In my mind there are some brilliant ones (Simon Taufel and Venkat immediately spring to mind) and then you get BC Cooray and Asoka De Silva...

Well the latter shouldnt really be officiating, but if the others are busy elsewhere, then unfortunatly they have to stand in...

Add to that the fact that umpires have form swings just like players....

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar

Re: High time ICC have a check on the umpires

This year alone there has been far too many mistakes made by the umpires in the game.they are now a dyas makeing more mistakes than correct decision.
    Utter rubbish - there are far more correct decisions than wrong ones.

in the W.I vs england series also there was a lot of mistakes made.
    Were there - I can't say I remember too many glaringly obvious ones.

inzamam,youhan where at the receving end at multan
    Now we come to why this was posted - I find it strange you didn't post it when the 2 of them were sawn off...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    So please tell who you promote to the elite panel then, and who you'd drop from it?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information