• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

High time ICC have a check on the umpires

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
Yes, the immediate problem can't be solved in the timeframe available. But that doesn't mean we should ignore the problem!
What problem?

The elite panel certainly hasn't weakened the standard of umpiring in Test Matches, but because a couple of decisions haven't gone India's way, it's apparently a major crisis?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
What problem?

The elite panel certainly hasn't weakened the standard of umpiring in Test Matches, but because a couple of decisions haven't gone India's way, it's apparently a major crisis?
No, that's not the problem. The problem, as you yourself have admitted, is that umpires are only human and will make mistakes. Surgeons are human, so if someone dies on the operating table, should we sit back, kick our heels up, and shrug our shoulders at the fallibility of human nature? No. (I apologize for the serious analogy, in no way can umpiring be compared to surgery, but I think it helps me make my point.) The problem is that umpires can make mistakes, we have the technology to help correct or prevent those mistakes, and yet we do not allow the umpires to utilize them. Why should a player be given out when he is not? Because a player fifty years ago would have been given out similarly? Absurd. Then let's not let players work out or take supplements, because they didn't have them back then either.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
I think the problem stems from the fact that these umpires are worked too heavily. They seem to be touring even more than the players. I saw bucknor in australia, then in Sri Lanka, back in Australia, then in Pakistan. It is just too much. The guy is getting on with age and he is tired. He will obviously make mistakes.

NikhilN

International Regular
ICC should let umpires send it to 3rd umpires if they are not sure...that would be the best thing to do

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Proud Indian said:
ICC should let umpires send it to 3rd umpires if they are not sure...that would be the best thing to do
For what? I am an Umpire and I don't want the game slowed down any more than it has to be by referals to the Third Ump!!

I have worked very hard to become an Ump and don't want my skills to be wasted by the over-use of the Third Ump...The only thing I want to use it for if and when I'm good enough to officiate in games where it can be used are for run-outs!

Sehwag309

Banned
Eyes_Only said:
For what? I am an Umpire and I don't want the game slowed down any more than it has to be by referals to the Third Ump!!

I have worked very hard to become an Ump and don't want my skills to be wasted by the over-use of the Third Ump...The only thing I want to use it for if and when I'm good enough to officiate in games where it can be used are for run-outs!
But a correct decision is preferable to slowing down. We can arrange a time-frame for say "did he nick it" or "pitch in line" that IF the umpire has doubts.

Technology is available, we should use it. Afterall, umpires are human and they can make mistakes but that mistake can cause a team to loose games, series.

Recent eg., Inzamam in 1st test, would have taken 2-3 minutes. And if 3rd umpire wan't sure, benefit of doubt should have gone to the batsmen

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
we have the technology to help correct or prevent those mistakes, and yet we do not allow the umpires to utilize them.
As yet the technology isn't actually there and 100% reliable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag309 said:
Recent eg., Inzamam in 1st test, would have taken 2-3 minutes. And if 3rd umpire wan't sure, benefit of doubt should have gone to the batsmen
And 2-3 minutes have been wasted when over rates are already tardy...

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Sehwag309 said:
But a correct decision is preferable to slowing down. We can arrange a time-frame for say "did he nick it" or "pitch in line" that IF the umpire has doubts.
Agreed

Technology is available, we should use it. Afterall, umpires are human and they can make mistakes but that mistake can cause a team to loose games, series.
The techonology isn't 100% fool-proof. Wrong decisions are still given while using techonolgy. Until the technology is 100% reliable, there will always be mistakes.

Too much time is wasted in a day's play as it is. Why do we have to slow it down even further but over-using the technology??

That's the way it has always and will always be....

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
Eyes_Only said:
Agreed

The techonology isn't 100% fool-proof. Wrong decisions are still given while using techonolgy. Until the technology is 100% reliable, there will always be mistakes.

Too much time is wasted in a day's play as it is. Why do we have to slow it down even further but over-using the technology??

:O

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Eyes_Only said:
Agreed

Yes, the technology's not 100%. But it's somewhere closer to it than the human umpire. With all due respect to you, I am certain you do your job with the utmost care and skill, but you are a human being! You can't do what machines can do! Anything which can improve the accuracy of calls should be implemented unless it's amazingly unwieldy or hurts the game, and I don't see how allowing hawkeye or something similar to be used would be that bad.

Time: If it's a question of do it right or do it quick, I say do it right. I don't think any real cricket fan will mind a test match starting 30 mins early and ending 30 mins later if it means their batsmen won't be out lbw to balls that are inside edged or their bowlers won't have to take fifteen wickets to end one innings.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
You are exactly right...I am human and I do make mistakes. While I try my darndest not to, they happen. I love umpiring and part of the charm of the game of cricket for me has always been the "Human Element"....

I know many umpires who don't feel the way you do, (Simon Taufel to name one) but I think I'll agree to disagree on this one!!;)

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
To me I dont like when an umpire takes an age to give a batsman out. If an umpire see's it, he/she shouldnt have to think about it and give them out, if you see it give them out.

That's how I work. If I dont give them out straight away then they are not out.

I also dont like when umpires change their minds (ok say a six signalled four that is different) or make decisions to suit the other team.

I also believe that an umpire should give an explaination if they made a decision.

This is how I umpire. This applies to indoor cricket though, but it isnt as easy as what you think when you have to umpire, work the score sheet, the score board and get two 7-ball 16 over innings for each side inside 75 minutes (5 min over isnt too bad) and have to concrate on getting it all correct.

And yes I have been told to get glasses. I could have told him to **** off but didnt.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Re: High time ICC have a check on the umpires

marc71178 said:
Were there - I can't say I remember too many glaringly obvious ones.
A fair few. For three, Ganga was out in each innings of the last Test and given not out, then he was given out to a horrible decision in the first innings.

Gayle was also unfortunate.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Give the umpire a pocket TV . Let him watch the replay in the ground itself and decide. Also he will get to watch the commercials in between the overs . ;)

biased indian

International Coach
Re: Re: High time ICC have a check on the umpires

marc71178 said:
inzamam,youhan where at the receving end at multan

Now we come to why this was posted - I find it strange you didn't post it when the 2 of them were sawn off...
please read all of the post u r missing some parts

inzamam,youhan where at the receving end at multan and both of them benifitted at lahore

biased indian

International Coach
the following is from cricinfo wisden site

The only jarring part of the day came at the start of the Indian innings, when the course of play was altered not by the players of either side, but by the incompetence of an umpire. Steve Bucknor was appalling during India's tour of Australia, and consistently so, through first the Tests and then the one-dayers. I had argued then that Bucknor's powers seem to have diminished with age – for umpiring relies on physical faculties that only get worse as the years go by – and that umpires should be regularly tested by the ICC to see if their abilities are still intact.

It is scandolous that despite the Indian team's complaints about him, based on an entire series and not a handful of stray understandable mistakes, the ICC has taken no action on this matter. John Wright, India's coach, reportedly complained to the match referee yesterday about the poor umpiring, and Bucknor gave India more reason for anguish today. After not upholding a number of good appeals during Pakistan's innings, he gave Aakash Chopra out lbw, after Chopra had inside-edged the ball. Given that Rahul Dravid was out immediately afterwards, run out without facing a ball, Bucknor's mistake had a huge impact on the game. It is unfair to Bucknor that his legacy as an umpire should be tarnished by his performance when he is clearly past the peak of his powers, and it is unfair on the players as well. (It is also unfair that he should be judged by technology that is available to everyone but him.