• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India cancel Bangaldesh series

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
So please explain how pulling out of a scheduled tour citing "too much cricket" then playing 2 lucrative One Day series isn't showing a lack of respect?
Well it's one 1-day tournaments, as the ICC Champions Trophy and Natwest Series were already etched into the schedule.

The tournament in question, to be held in Holland, is to be contested between Pakistan, Australia and India.

Surely the ICC has played some part. They want to spread cricket in Associate nations, and Holland, having played in the 2003 World Cup, is one of the most advanced cricketing-wise. So a ODI tourney between three of the most popular and exciting sides in world cricket would do nothing but showcase the best of world cricket, some of the best stars, and spread the love of cricket to the Dutch. This tournament is in the best interests of cricket.

As opposed to an Indian tour of Bangladesh, which would, not to be arrogant, be one-sided and depress the hopes of Bangladeshi cricket fans. How many more losses can they tolerate? The U-19 World Cup has given them hope, a crushing tour by neighbor and rival India would do nothing to boost them further.

But really, India wasn't thinking, "Hey, let's not gang up on Bangladesh." but were thinking in cash. So what? How is that disrespectful? They could have sent a sub-standard team to Bangladesh. That would have been disrespectful. Instead, the BCCI has stated that they will tour Bangladesh in 2005 with a full-strength squad. I'm sure Bangladesh will infinitely prefer a full-strength Indian team in 2005 rather than an 'A' side in 2004.

But then the argument will likely turn to, well why can't India cancel the Holland tournament and just tour Bangladesh? If they don't want to burn out their cricketers, why cancel cricket and just add more?

Well the Bangladesh tour is 2 Tests and 3 ODIs. The Holland tourney will probably result in India playing at most 5 ODIs. (Assuming the format is for each side to play another twice, and if India were to make it to the finals.) 4 or 5 ODIs in a country next to England, where they have to then travel to participate in the ICC Champions Trophy and Natwest Series, is much lighter than 2 Tests and 3 ODIs in a hot country far away from their next destination. And plus, India are looking to warm-up for the crucial Champions Trophy, and playing Bangladesh in 2 Tests won't do that.

India are not guilty of being disrespectful to Bangladesh, merely more concerned with their own self-interests, just like every other cricketing nation in the world. If you want to see disrespect in action, take a look at England's treatment of Zimbabwe. Even Australia are touring, what makes England so special?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lions81 said:
Well it's one 1-day tournaments, as the ICC Champions Trophy and Natwest Series were already etched into the schedule.
yes, but why didn't they pull out of the Natwest Series, and why did they agree to play in Holland, if they're "playing too much cricket" ?

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
yes, but why didn't they pull out of the Natwest Series, and why did they agree to play in Holland, if they're "playing too much cricket" ?
I did write a whole paragraph concerning this!

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
A paragraph is unnecessary - the word "money" would suffice.

There are no valid cricketing reasons.
Well, I thought my paragraph was literary genius. :lol:

But sure, that's a reason. What makes that disrespectful? These cricket boards aren't in the philanthropy business!

Craig

World Traveller
This a disresctful to Bangladesh. No way on earth should India be allowed to get away with this.

I think the ICC should take some of the blame - they organise tournaments like the ICC Champions Trophey and the ODIs in Dutch land are a waste of time as well.

How many actual Dutchies will be following or even caring about it since the European cycling season coming to an end (cycling is huge over there) plus football and Olympics?

Countries should not have the right to pick and chose tours no matter who you are. Nobody is above the law.

The BCCI should fined :!( :!(

Sehwag309

Banned
Craig said:
This a disresctful to Bangladesh. No way on earth should India be allowed to get away with this.

I think the ICC should take some of the blame - they organise tournaments like the ICC Champions Trophey and the ODIs in Dutch land are a waste of time as well.

How many actual Dutchies will be following or even caring about it since the European cycling season coming to an end (cycling is huge over there) plus football and Olympics?

Countries should not have the right to pick and chose tours no matter who you are. Nobody is above the law.

Would be cool, Dope and Cricket

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Craig said:

How can you say countries should not have the right to pick and choose their tours? That's one of the most insane things I think I've heard! Who else will decide then? This was not an ICC Ten Year Plan tour. The ICC's job is not to play matchmaker. The boards decide who to play, when to play and how often to play. the ICC did not order India to go to Bangladesh, they initially thought they could could fit a trip in, then decided against it. So on what basis would the ICC fine the BCCI? C'mon friend, let's be reasonable!

Craig

World Traveller
Lions81 said:
How can you say countries should not have the right to pick and choose their tours? That's one of the most insane things I think I've heard! Who else will decide then? This was not an ICC Ten Year Plan tour. The ICC's job is not to play matchmaker. The boards decide who to play, when to play and how often to play. the ICC did not order India to go to Bangladesh, they initially thought they could could fit a trip in, then decided against it. So on what basis would the ICC fine the BCCI? C'mon friend, let's be reasonable!
Then what is the point in the ICC ten year plan?

I mean what do you think is the point in the Holland and ICC CT tournament? Money.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Craig said:

I mean what do you think is the point in the Holland and ICC CT tournament? Money.
Very true. Just I wish they'd try to make some money here instead :P I'd love a Ind/Pak/Aus tri series!

Seriously though, I'm starting to get sick of teams cancelling tours and matches and what have you. If the 10 year plan was planned and STUCK to, then we wouldnt have the problem really. Cant they work out a schedule thats fair for everyone?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It is very disrespectful to Bangladesh. This is the reason why I dont like Jagmohan Dalmiya, He will even send our team to mars if it meant more money for him and BCCI. The Guy has no respect for ICC and other cricketing boards and above all Players. He created a mess during the world cup and ICC trophy before that.

This is the only reason I wasn't happy when Indian Govt lifted the ban from playing Pakistan, I knew that this guy will organize stupid & meaningless ODI tournaments in TIMBUKTU and make the Indian players play. Doing it at the expense of other TEST tours is even worse.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Craig said:

Yes, the ICC ten-year plan is the only instance of when the ICC dictates touring terms, and as I stated in my earlier post, India touring Bangladesh is NOT part of the plan. This is plain as day on the ICC website. In other words, this tour has absolutely nothing to do with the ICC ten year plan. According to it, India are not supposed to tour Bangladesh. So India are not pulling out of a mandatory tour, only a tour which they thought they might be able to pull off and then realized that they would not.

That being side, I again ask, so what if money is the concern of the BCCI? Does Cricket Australia demand India play 4 test matches instead of the 3 that they played in India because they enjoy Indian cricketers so much that they want more of their company, or are they interested in the extra revenues from another test match? Did the ECB invite Zimbabwe to tour them because they wanted the Zimbabwe cricketers to see what democracy is like and hopefully bring it back to Zimbabwe?, or did they desperately need money?

Let's not be naive about the state of the game. When you don't try to make money, the game falls apart. Look at the West Indies. They have no money, and that is the primary reason they are in the situation they are.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Sanz said:
It is very disrespectful to Bangladesh. This is the reason why I dont like Jagmohan Dalmiya, He will even send our team to mars if it meant more money for him and BCCI. The Guy has no respect for ICC and other cricketing boards and above all Players. He created a mess during the world cup and ICC trophy before that.

This is the only reason I wasn't happy when Indian Govt lifted the ban from playing Pakistan, I knew that this guy will organize stupid & meaningless ODI tournaments in TIMBUKTU and make the Indian players play. Doing it at the expense of other TEST tours is even worse.
I'd much rather see ODIs between India and Pakistan and Australia then any tests between India and Bangladesh? How can you say otherwise? The ODIs would be competitive (ok fair enough if you claim India can't beat Australia which is true) but the Tests would be one-sided affair which would benefit no one at all.

Swervy

International Captain
Lions81 said:
Did the ECB invite Zimbabwe to tour them because they wanted the Zimbabwe cricketers to see what democracy is like and hopefully bring it back to Zimbabwe?, or did they desperately need money?

erm...I dont think anyone would invite Zimbabwe along for the money

Swervy

International Captain
Lions81 said:
I'd much rather see ODIs between India and Pakistan and Australia then any tests between India and Bangladesh? How can you say otherwise? The ODIs would be competitive (ok fair enough if you claim India can't beat Australia which is true) but the Tests would be one-sided affair which would benefit no one at all.
how on earth are Bangladesh meant to develop if teams have that kind of attitude

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Natwest serie only three matches that will be a total of say 10 days commitment

but a tour of 2 test matches and 3 odis will take atleat 25 days

biased indian

International Coach
Sanz said:

its a tri series and BCCI PCB and ACB are at foul. when all of them know about the icc's ten year plan and that india was scheduled to play bangladesh. why would they support such a series because they also want the money