• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Dangerous Match.

Deja moo

International Captain
My friends and I had bunked college one day and were cooped up in a hostel room for want of funds to enjoy ourselves outside.

the 4 of us decided to play a game of indoor cricket ....no teams, all bat one after another....therefore one batter and 3 bowler-fielders per innings....

it was a smallish room...just 30 feet long by 15 feet wide....one bounce catch out...no running...direct hit to any wall was out, minimum one bounce hit to the wall directly behind the bowlers was 4 .

NOT A GOOD IDEA.....

We played 5 rounds, and there was not one of us who hadnt experienced the hard rubber ball kiss our nuts or faces atleast twice in those 5 rounds....Not to mention the bruises and sore bones due to diving around on the hard tiled floor trying to take the quick one bounce catches.....

The game also spawned some wierd fielding positions.......As one bounce hit straight to the fielders was out, the batsmen began playing the backward defence to almost every ball, . It was MCC coaching manual stuff, the ball falling dead at the feet of the batsman after hitting the bat.
To combat this, a fielder was positioned at an insane short leg, 3 feet away from ther batsman ,the idea being that he would catch at first bounce the balls falling at the batsmans feet due to his defensive posture.
Of course, to counter this, the batsmen began hitting out wildly at every ball, injuring the unfortunate short-short leg for the duration of the few deliveries he dared to stand there.

Needless to say,we all had sore bodies for a couple of days.:(

Cloete

International Captain
orangepitch said:
My friends and I had bunked college one day and were cooped up in a hostel room for want of funds to enjoy ourselves outside.

the 4 of us decided to play a game of indoor cricket ....no teams, all bat one after another....therefore one batter and 3 bowler-fielders per innings....

it was a smallish room...just 30 feet long by 15 feet wide....one bounce catch out...no running...direct hit to any wall was out, minimum one bounce hit to the wall directly behind the bowlers was 4 .

NOT A GOOD IDEA.....

We played 5 rounds, and there was not one of us who hadnt experienced the hard rubber ball kiss our nuts or faces atleast twice in those 5 rounds....Not to mention the bruises and sore bones due to diving around on the hard tiled floor trying to take the quick one bounce catches.....

The game also spawned some wierd fielding positions.......As one bounce hit straight to the fielders was out, the batsmen began playing the backward defence to almost every ball, . It was MCC coaching manual stuff, the ball falling dead at the feet of the batsman after hitting the bat.
To combat this, a fielder was positioned at an insane short leg, 3 feet away from ther batsman ,the idea being that he would catch at first bounce the balls falling at the batsmans feet due to his defensive posture.
Of course, to counter this, the batsmen began hitting out wildly at every ball, injuring the unfortunate short-short leg for the duration of the few deliveries he dared to stand there.

would still have been alot of fun though :D

might i suggest the use of a tennis ball? also play on carpets, the worst you can get is carpet burn (still not very nice)

Deja moo

International Captain
might i suggest the use of a tennis ball? also play on carpets, the worst you can get is carpet burn (still not very nice)
It was quite fun actually , playing with the ruber ball....fear of being hit kept all the fielders on their toes. Plus the fact that none of us was willing to make the journey to the store 5 storeys down:D ...sheer laziness, you see.

As for the carpeting, this is India, non carpeted tiled floors are better at keeping the room cool than insulated carpetting.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
During the Millenium celebrations, we went for a six-night boozefest in a resort town in New Zealand. We started up games of cricket next to our dormitory. The twist was that every time the batsman got hit on a part of the body, he wasn't allowed to use it any more until he got out.

For example, if he got hit on the front arm, he would have to put it behind his back and bat just with the bottom hand. If he got hit on the leg below the knee after that, he would have to hop, and if he got hit on the other leg in the same area, he would have to kneel. Any more hits after that, and they would have to lie down in front of their stumps and hope for the best.

Taking wickets no longer was the name of the game - just wanton disregard for your mate's safety as you tried to maim him with a tennis ball.

2 fast 2 furios

Cricket Spectator
Deja moo said:

NOT A GOOD IDEA.....

As u may know pakistanis are also mad about cricket and would play it anyware. My uncle actually told us to play exactly that game and it is really fun especially when everyone is diving and trying to catch the ball to get a chance to bat .

Dydl

International Debutant
We have this huge spider web and spider in our backyard. When you bowled your head almost touched it. It was pretty dangerous at night. We thought (brother and I) that the spider was harmless. So, we typically went out at night and played cricket. He was bowling so was under risk of hitting the ''harmless'' spider and it's web. We played until about 10:15 PM and then my bro complained that there was something on his hair. We went inside and he saw a spider web, brushed it off and wanted to continue playing. Our mum saw us unfortunately and we had to go to bed. :wacko: The next morning our dad came up to us when we were outside and told us that he had just examined the spider web and had come to the conclusion that it's builder was a redback. Obviously, my brother bolted, was taken to hospital and was declared safe but he had received a little bite from the spider! That is by far my most dangerous match that I have participated in.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Most dangerous game I played a few years ago nearly cost me my sight.. it was in a narrow hallway and the guy drove it right into my eye, i didnt even have time to shut it..

My eye has been overly sensitive to changes in light ever since, but thank god my sight is 100%.. Means now I end up wearing sunglasses even when the sun isnt very strong.. Haven't played indoor cricket since :(

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
used to play quite a lot of cricket on a field with an electric substation, if you hit it in their you had to fetch it. The ambulance was only required once but after that we were a bit more careful in our shot selection.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
my most dangerous game was when i gave myself concussion.

it was a an indoor practice seesion at school and we were playing sorta kwik cricket.
I was fielding and the batsman hit the ball in the air. It was going a few yards to the right of me so i ran to catch it, keeping my eyes on the ball. But because i was watching the ball I forgot where the wall was. So i smacked my head off it running a pretty much full pelt.
I held the catch though.

)Swing(

Cricket Spectator
Hm, probably a round of bin cricket (bins as wickets). I opened the batting as usual (the bat was mine after all) and decided instead of playing like crap as I do most times I'll have a decent swing at the indoor ball. However we were playing a reasonably confined area so any sweep shot would result in a dangerously head crunchingly fast ball. Disregarding anyone elses safety and reminding myself that I was the best left handed batsmen to play bin cricket I play the sweep shot and bugger me dead if I didn't play it as timed as I could never do out on a cricket field. Off it went at 90000 kmp/h and dead flat too. It missed a prefects head by centimetres. If it'd've hit her it would have killed her. No doubt.

Moments later I played the same shot but quite finer. It missed a group of degenerates which I would have been happy to injure but alas that ball also missed. Too bad I've not played a shot like that this season.

Another moment springs to mind in a bin cricket related incident. I'd set off for a single (the other wickets were about 10 metres away) and the most unco-ordinated chap to have existed managed to pick the ball up and throw it quite hard. It missed my stumps by a long way and richocheted off the concrete and square in the face of a girl whom, in all fairness, we had told to clear off minutes before hand. Bang, bang Adams Red Cricket Ball came down on her nose. It split open and there was blood everywhere. That was unfortunately the end of bin cricket forever. The girl never came back to school.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mine would have been at school at lunch. i was batting at the non-strikers end, practicing some shots as the bowler was doing something. i decided to practice the hook shot, and swung as hard as i could, the bat swining around behind me at head height. well, i didnt know this, but just at that time a girl was walking along the pitch behind me. i heard and felt this sickening crunch, turned around, and had knocked the poor girl right on the nose with a wooden bat as hard as i could. blood was everywhere and she was rushed off to hospiital where it turned out she had a broken nose, and if apparently if i had hit her much higher i may have killed her. anyway, she came back to school in a week, and we were no longer allowed to use bats at school, which gave birth to hand cricket. anyway, i hate to sound kinda like fraz there, but thatd be the most dangerous game ive been in.

)Swing(

Cricket Spectator
Dydl said:
Was her nose permanently broken?? Do you know what happened to her?
I dare say it was permanently skewed. I never saw her again and probably just as well as we moved to playing hand tennis quite roughly too. None the less it was all good fun until someone got their nose broken.

v800

Cricket Spectator
mine would have to be on the weekend when i was 10. i got a ball quite high and a bit wide of me and so i hit it behind me and in doing so the keeper got a mouth full of ball he must have been is so much pain and dew to this he had a broken jaw and nose and lost a few teeth

Lance

Cricket Spectator
Me and my friends often play mini-back yard cricket. Although not dangerous, I did sustain quite an injury. We were using a white squiggy ball, and my friend was in the garden fetching it. He retrieved and threw it over to me. Unsuspecting the hardness, I went for a catch... with my mouth... and soon found out it was a white hockey ball. Blood splattered around as I floundered, but after a few minutes, play resumed :D