• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over rated Vettori?

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
No.

The midlands is an area divided by the wasteland that is Staffordshire, but I'd rather not talk about it.
Is it because Rik lives there? :D :p :lol::laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
So out of interest what does everyone think now?

Also, I prefer over hyped to over rated because if everyone says someone is over rated then surely they mustn't be because no one rates them? I think I picked that idea up from someones post in the other thread, Just a thought.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Now one perhaps the best spinner in ODI cricket, but very so-so in Tests, basically due to NZ conditions. Left-arm offies have never really been big wickettakers in tests anyway.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He averages 34 at home and 33 away - and 30 in Asia. Still think he's slightly underrated in both forms. People will always say "he's not much of a turner" though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very fine ODI bowler, I've never once disagreed with that. However, in Tests, he's positively mediocre, a huge minnow-basher.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He averages 34 at home and 33 away - and 30 in Asia. Still think he's slightly underrated in both forms. People will always say "he's not much of a turner" though.
Against Test class sides he averages 36.68 at home, 39.73 away and 40 in Asia. It's not good enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Very fine ODI bowler, I've never once disagreed with that. However, in Tests, he's positively mediocre, a huge minnow-basher.
Yeah agree with that basically.

Still love watching him bowl though. Wish he was a better test bowler. Been hoping for improvement for ages but it just doesn't come.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Nothing wrong with Vettorri really but he is a little over-rated as other people are....

He's just a normal spinner

:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not a great follower of Vettori's career but i reckon Stats probably don't tell the truth about Vettori.

I have gathered based on his success againts Australia is that he is a very clever bowler in the sense he knows how to bowl to batsmen when they are looking to get after him. But when batsmen look to play him circumspectly he does have the repertoire of Warne, Murali or Kumble to work a batsman over. Just my 2 cents though, probably you Kiwis who follow him more indepth may know a bit more about him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Been hoping for improvement for ages but it just doesn't come.
People will always be disappointed when they expect big things from a fingerspinner, TBH. Fully expecting the same thing to end-up happening with MSP.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
fairly average player tbh, with elements of goodness and badness, tbh you could formulate the argument that he is a microcosm for the entire new zealand side.