• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cairns thinks hes got 1 more series of gas in the tank

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
A legend moves on

Chris Cairns to retire from Test cricket

What do you think? I think hes making the right choice.Now he can squeeze a year or 3 more of odi cricket.

Article here

**Mod Edit** - please don't copy/paste the whole article into forum threads because of copyright issues.

Craig

World Traveller
And I have carefully predicted all along that he will retire after England (well in Tests anyway).

Sad to see him go though.

anzac

International Debutant
I was amazed to read that while he has 59 Tests under his belt, he had missed a further 57 during that time frame!!!!!!

He was the 2nd fastest player to 3000 / 200 behind Botham - just imagine what his career could have been like if he had not been plagued by injury & what that could have meant for NZ cricket!!!!

:O

Swervy

International Captain
i firmly beleive that if it werent for injuries, cairns would have been considered one of the all time great all-rounders

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
i firmly beleive that if it werent for injuries, cairns would have been considered one of the all time great all-rounders

I would say there is a bracket with Sobers, Kallis, Kapil Dev in.. and maybe Cairns would be just below that... With guys like Hadlee, Imran Khan, Wasim, Pollock etc..

Definitely Great, but not all time great...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
I would say there is a bracket with Sobers, Kallis, Kapil Dev in.. and maybe Cairns would be just below that... With guys like Hadlee, Imran Khan, Wasim, Pollock etc..

So let me get this straight, you put Kapil in the top tier, yet Imran and Hadlee are in the 2nd tier and Botham is nowhere?!

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
So let me get this straight, you put Kapil in the top tier, yet Imran and Hadlee are in the 2nd tier and Botham is nowhere?!
I think what Kapil did on indian pitches was worthy of that...

Its midnight and i forgot about the "beef"....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
I think what Kapil did on indian pitches was worthy of that...
But what did he do on Indian pitches?

Not a great deal really - and his career bowling average doesn't suggest he did much outside India!

It's been suggested on here in the last couple of days that if he were anything but Indian he wouldn't have come anywhere near 131 Tests and 434 wickets.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:

Not a great deal really - and his career bowling average doesn't suggest he did much outside India!

It's been suggested on here in the last couple of days that if he were anything but Indian he wouldn't have come anywhere near 131 Tests and 434 wickets.
434 wickets is alot but then so is 131 tests. I mean even i would get 500+ wickets if i played enough tests (ok probably about 1500 tests but you see my point ;))

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Dev there but but hadlee or imran?

Bowling wise,Dev got 3 more wickets then Hadlee,but played almost 50 extra tests.

but I think we'll stop talking about that,and talk about cairns retiremtn,not the big 4.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I actually think that talking about the big 4 is relevant in seeing where he fits in with them in the overall scheme of things.

It's strange because I wouldn't have thought of him as being close to them (indeed wouldn't have ranked him number 1 of his generation) but he's the 2nd quickest to the 3000/200 double.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
kapil's career avg. is about 29, pretty close to botham. so both should be in the same bracket. i dont think botham was any better than dev.

from 1990-end to career he averaged at about 26(22 tests) with same batting avg. suggests to me he would have played for any country and still end up with 130 tests. its not his fault that he barely got injured(not bowling express pace obviously helped).

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:

excuse me.....kapil dev and kallis are in the same bracket as sobers??youve got to be kidding me...sobers was the best allrounder by a country mile. and imran khan was hell of a better all rounder than kapil could ever dream of. khan had to bowl on sub continental wickets too and had a better average than kapil. kallis isnt a complete all rounder...his bowling definetly leaves a lot to be desired.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Raj123 said:
kapil's career avg. is about 29, pretty close to botham. so both should be in the same bracket. i dont think botham was any better than dev.

from 1990-end to career he averaged at about 26(22 tests) with same batting avg. suggests to me he would have played for any country and still end up with 130 tests. its not his fault that he barely got injured(not bowling express pace obviously helped).
For the first 7 or 8 years of his career, Botham was MILES better than Kapil. After 1986, forget it. You could wheel him out every now and again against Australia, but all the motivation had gone.

As you so rightly imply, Kapil matured like a fine wine, whereas Botham went off like a strong ale which had been left out in the air too long.

Actually, when Kapil made his first appearances against the Aussies, their attack included bowlers like Dymock and Hogg and Hurst, so yes he would certainly have got into that side. We had Packer to thank for that, I suppuse.

I forgot about the Packer phenomenon, so all bets are off. In those days, if you were prepared to play for a pittance, you made the test team.