• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's Audience/Viewers

Sehwag309

Banned
I tried to search on the net but to no avail.

It may be my assumption but does Cricket have the biggest audience or some other sport.

Even if I take 50% of Indian population it makes 500 million people.

50% of Pakistan would make 70 million

Aussie, Eng...

Some would argue that soccer has the biggest audience, but combining small european countries wouldnt even make 70 million

Any comments/thoughts

Tom Halsey

International Coach
In Britain there is 59,000,000 people, or something like that. France is the same. And believe me, I would think you would get 70 million out of those 2 countries alone. Plus Spain, Portugal, all of South America, Germany, Scandinavia, etc, and you have a BIG following. I would say footie has the biggest audience, but cricket isn't far behind.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would actually doubt that - the Football World Cup gets watched by upwards of 2 billion I believe.

cbuts

International Debutant
cricket is usually said to be tthe 4th biggest sport in the world - both soccer and basketball are bigger, cant remeber the other one

Sehwag309

Banned
TDCC Young Guns said:
cricket is usually said to be tthe 4th biggest sport in the world - both soccer and basketball are bigger, cant remeber the other one
Basketball?

U mean just North America

Deja moo

International Captain
I'll say, get China to play international cricket, gift them a world cup victory, and then we'll have cricket as the most watched sport....

India wasnt interested in cricket big time till we won the 83 WC....nearly doubled or tripled viewership in india....and thats a huge number...

similarly....let china win a WC in cricket..

Deja moo

International Captain
I have always wondered why the UK gets to have 3 teams...England, Scotland and Northern Ireland ?????

Isnt it just one country?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are all separate countries.

The United Kingdom isn't strictly speaking a country.

There's also the Republic of Ireland as well.

Deja moo

International Captain
But England, Wales ,Scotland and Northern Ireland have a single head of state, dont they? And England and Wales have a single cricket board.. Plus its UK in the olympics,

Methinks its a ploy to group toghether in the olympics, commonwealth games etc, so there are more medals against the UK's name. Whereas in winner takes it all sports like cricket, football, rugby, there are 4-5 teams from the UK so that chances of atleast one team making it are enghanced.:!(

Craig

World Traveller
You can throw in the RWC as well. That would of been England's teop 5-10 most watched programs during that times especially in that final.

Deja moo

International Captain
Anyway,coming back to the main question,I think cricket must atleast have the highest viewership population per team ratio.

I mean, there are only 10 test teams, but with around 1.5 billion viewers, that gives us 150 million viewers per team.......which is higher than 5 billion viewers for 200 plus teams in football...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
You can throw in the RWC as well. That would of been England's teop 5-10 most watched programs during that times especially in that final.
I very much doubt it - about 11-12m watched it.

More people watch Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are all separate countries.

The United Kingdom isn't strictly speaking a country.

There's also the Republic of Ireland as well.

Yawn, lol one of my pet hates is people who get confused with this... I dont know why...

Your passport says "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", not "England" or "Scotland".. These are administrative divisions with some degree of autonomy.. not too dissimilar to American States.. (although not the same system).. Funnily enough, but not many people here know that strictly speaking the country they live in is "United Kingdom"

More examples, there is no customs when you cross the border into scotland, just a sign... You arent going into another country... Road numbering and traffic laws are identical... as are telephone systems and postcodes... They are also ruled by London (although with some autonomy)

A flight from London to Edinburgh or Belfast is domestic... It would be classed as international if you were going into another country..

The notion that England is a country in itself is only based on old fashioned tradition, such has having the English and Scottish football leagues, an England cricket and rugby team etc...