• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England

Newlands

Cricket Spectator
A massive congratulations to England for their 3-0 lead and effective win over the West Indies in Bridgetown (with two days to spare). It's fantastic to see that hard work has paid off especially in the bowling side of things. The bowling has definitely been better than the batting but it's good to see England winning consistently.

Well done Michael Vaughan!
Well done England!
:D :D :D :D :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yep, it sure is weird being a "neutral" when England are playing the most clinical and convincing cricket I have seen from an English side!

Still, congrats to them, and it has been excellent viewing...

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Yes they have done very well....but how good, or bad, are the West Indies. A bit of a rabble at the moment I would say.

England failed in Sri Lanka, when is the next serious test for them, besides Australia in 2005? :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Kenny said:
Yes they have done very well....but how good, or bad, are the West Indies. A bit of a rabble at the moment I would say.

England failed in Sri Lanka, when is the next serious test for them, besides Australia in 2005? :D
well i think the real test for them comes against NZ at home. then we would be able to guage how much they have come on since the SL tour. a win against NZ would definetly mean that they are amongst the top 3 teams in the world. a loss would mean that they are just as bad as they were in 99 ..... where does that leave the WI?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
So, if they lose they are one of the worst teams in the world, but if they win they are brilliant.

One series, one series, one series...

Kenny

U19 Debutant
A win against NZ at home, would make England one of the top three sides in the world?? Piffle.

To me the top three sides are Aus, SA and India, irrespective of whether England beat NZ at home.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
So, if they lose they are one of the worst teams in the world, but if they win they are brilliant.

One series, one series, one series...
and would you be saying that when they lose the ashes again?i think not

tooextracool

International Coach
Kenny said:
A win against NZ at home, would make England one of the top three sides in the world?? Piffle.

To me the top three sides are Aus, SA and India, irrespective of whether England beat NZ at home.
INDIA are at the top depsite their loss to NZ(hammered) and WI with what was essentially the same side as it is now.open ur eyes man....india are nothing more than flat pitch bullies.
the way i look at it is that australia lead by a country mile with SA and NZ in 2nd..india 3rd.....the rest of them bar bangladesh,zim, england(yet to determine until performance against NZ) are grouped in 4th.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
and would you be saying that when they lose the ashes again?i think not
The Ashes is a completely dufferent propsition to NZ at home.

By the same token, if the lose, they are still nowhere near as bad as '99.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
The Ashes is a completely dufferent propsition to NZ at home.By the same token, if the lose, they are still nowhere near as bad as '99.

:D :D :D :D so are u telling me that if they lose the ashes against a much better opponent they would be worse off than if they lose to NZ(a worse opponent) at home??
oh and btw comparing the teams from 99 to now....we had 2 good bowlers in caddick and gough(better than harmison and hoggard anyday), stewart,hussain, thorpe,atherton,read......now we have 2 struggling openers...hussain,thorpe,butcher, read(cant bat),flintoff,giles(garbage),hoggard,harmison and jones(useless).

not much difference between the 2 sides it must be said.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
tooextracool said:
INDIA are at the top depsite their loss to NZ(hammered) and WI with what was essentially the same side as it is now.open ur eyes man....india are nothing more than flat pitch bullies.
the way i look at it is that australia lead by a country mile with SA and NZ in 2nd..india 3rd.....the rest of them bar bangladesh,zim, england(yet to determine until performance against NZ) are grouped in 4th.
I admit I am largely basing my assessment of India on their performance in Australia recently........

Salamuddin

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
well i think the real test for them comes against NZ at home. then we would be able to guage how much they have come on since the SL tour. a win against NZ would definetly mean that they are amongst the top 3 teams in the world. a loss would mean that they are just as bad as they were in 99 ..... where does that leave the WI?
A win against NZ would not definitely mean Eng are one of the top 3.
A lot hinges on the outcome of the India Pakistan series whatever that may be.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Kenny said:
I admit I am largely basing my assessment of India on their performance in Australia recently........
Amen. India, in my opinion, are doing wonderfully. Still, I think NZ is starting to prove that they rate in the top four, somewhere. But, as always, people won't recognise that because NZ are forever the underdogs. :) I don't mind, though. It just makes it more fun because the underdogs are consistently winning, and I must admit I'm often a fan of the underdogs.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, there will always be just the one test series that matters, and that's the Ashes. Equally, I don't care a jot whether England are third, fourth or twenty-seventh in the test rankings.

Well, maybe twenty-seventh, because then we'd be behind Norway and Slovenia and my pal Krakin Slypkatch would be doing the match reports.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
:D :D :D :D so are u telling me that if they lose the ashes against a much better opponent they would be worse off than if they lose to NZ(a worse opponent) at home??
oh and btw comparing the teams from 99 to now....we had 2 good bowlers in caddick and gough(better than harmison and hoggard anyday), stewart,hussain, thorpe,atherton,read......now we have 2 struggling openers...hussain,thorpe,butcher, read(cant bat),flintoff,giles(garbage),hoggard,harmison and jones(useless).

I'm still trying to work out where you are coming from, so I'll do what you do (just make up some nonsense conjecture and pass it off as fact).

The reason why there is no comparison between the sides of 1999 and 2004 is absolutely nothing to do with personnel, but everything to do with coaching, mental toughness, attitude, Rod Marsh etc etc etc..

They most certainly did not have Darren Gough - he missed the whole of the season. They had Ed Giddins, Alex Tudor, Alan Mullally, Peter Such , Aftab Habib, Mark Ramprakash and the like.

Oh, why did I respond to this post? It's an April Fool but a few days late. I feel such an idiot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:

Yes, you are in fact Richard, but I must admit you had us going for a while.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
, I think NZ is starting to prove that they rate in the top four, somewhere.
By losing their most recent series and drawing the one before that?

All the people who have put England down obviously are forgetting that we drew 2-2 with SA about 6 months ago.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
You have misunderstood me. I mean that one series meant not a lot, unless it was an Ashes win. Apart from that, I would say we would need 4 or 5 series to determine how good a team is.

England happen to be matching almost every side in world cricket at the mome,t apart from SL at home, and Australia.

And Marc, he can't be, he doesn't live in Yorkshire...but I see what you mean.