• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New PWC ratings

Swervy

International Captain
Tests batting
1 Matthew Hayden AUS

2 Rahul Dravid IND

3 Ricky Ponting AUS

4 Sachin Tendulkar IND

5 Brian Lara WI

6 Jacques Kallis SA

7 Herschelle Gibbs SA

8 Inzamam-ul-Haq PAK

9 Virender Sehwag IND

10 Graeme Smith SA

Test Bowling:
1 Muttiah Muralitharan SL

2 Shaun Pollock SA

3 Shoaib Akhtar PAK

4 Steve Harmison ENG

4 Shane Warne AUS

6 Glenn McGrath AUS

7 Anil Kumble IND

8 Jason Gillespie AUS

9 Makhaya Ntini SA

10 Daryl Tuffey NZ

ODI Batting:
1 Chris Gayle WI

2 Ricky Ponting AUS

2 Adam Gilchrist AUS

4 Sachin Tendulkar IND

5 Jacques Kallis SA

6 Brian Lara WI

7 Matthew Hayden AUS

8 Marcus Trescothick ENG

9 Michael Bevan AUS

10 Sanath Jayasuriya SL

ODI Bowling:
1 Muttiah Muralitharan SL

2 Shaun Pollock SA

3 Chaminda Vaas SL

4 Jason Gillespie AUS

5 Brett Lee AUS

6 Glenn McGrath AUS

7 Andrew Flintoff ENG

8 Jacob Oram NZ

9 Makhaya Ntini SA

9 Heath Streak ZIM

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The progress of Steve Wayward-Harmison is nothing short of dramatic.

I'm delighted for the lad.

Craig

World Traveller
<enters tooextracool mode>
While the hopeless Chris Gayle ranks at number 1 is an outrage.</leaves tooextracool mode>

No offence is intended.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
Harmison at 4 is still a joke though - what's he had, two good test matches??
Nope - 4 .

The second innings of the last test against South Africa (4-33), then 9 in a game against Bangladesh at Dhaka (5-35,4-44), the first 2 tests in the current series (2-61, 7-12, 6-61, 1-40) and the current match (3-42 and ????)

In his last 3 tests, he has been man of the match. In his previous game against South Africa, he made the second innings breakthrough which was largely responsible for ensuring that England would tie the rubber (with major contributions from Trescothick and Flintoff, of course).

Sorry. Harmison, at the moment, is a very good bowler indeed - not anything like the shambolic figure who could hardly put one foot in front of another in Australia during that infamous ODI against Sri Lanka.

The joke is on the people who believe THAT image is the true Steve Harmison.

The way he set Chris Gayle up yesterday was absolutely classic. Three short balls, all clobbered, the crowd baying for more, Gayle rocking back to repeat the dose - only it's full of length and the off stump goes for a sit down.

'Sucker' says Harmison.
'Oops' says Crystal.

He's not the finished article by a long way - but he is no longer a tearaway. Sure, there's going to be times when he errs in line and length a la Brett and Shoaib. There's going to be occasions when he's taken apart. Lara might to that today - he's certainly due - but England have now, finally, got a strike bowler worthy of the name.

(mind you, if he doesn't screw up, the duck loses half of his material)

Craig

World Traveller
He will have to continue bowling really well until the Ashes and at the end of the Ashes in 2005 and then we can say he is world class or not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So he has to bowl consistently well for 2 whole years to be classed as World Class?

Some people really like to set the bar high... :rolleyes:

Craig

World Traveller
No in that time he has to prove he is more then a one series wonder and the WI despite their talented batting line up are hardly the strongest of opposition no offence Liam.

And if you do well against Australia it does kind of look does it not?

Loony BoB

International Captain
I thought Kallis would be higher, but oh well. Nice to see Oram hitting into the all rounder list, too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
No in that time he has to prove he is more then a one series wonder
I would suggest he's done that already in performing against 3 different sides in vastly different conditions.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I would suggest he's done that already in performing against 3 different sides in vastly different conditions.
Sorry, marc. The popular opinion about Harmison is that he is a no-brain bang-it-in tearaway who looks for speed at the expense of everything else.

*cough*brett*cough*.

Sorry. I have a cold.

A few of us are willing to give credit where credit's due - and the dismissal of Crystal yesterday was the nearest thing to fast bowling perfection you will ever see.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor match this time by Harmison - just the 6.

That's what? 63 @ 23.25. Not bad for a guy who's a joke.

He'd better be careful or he'll be overtaking Shoaib (mind you, Warney will be blazing past him soon)

Last edited:

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Craig said:
No in that time he has to prove he is more then a one series wonder and the WI despite their talented batting line up are hardly the strongest of opposition no offence Liam.

And if you do well against Australia it does kind of look does it not?
I tend to agree.......a good performance against Bangladesh and two good tests against the Windies, and he's the number 4 bowler in tests in the world?

I saw him just over a year ago in Perth and he could barely land it on the cut portion........going to need a little more convincing I'm sorry.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Sehwag in the top ten is a little amusing.

I believe he's displaced Laxman -- which is certainly very surprising.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenny said:
I tend to agree.......a good performance against Bangladesh and two good tests against the Windies, and he's the number 4 bowler in tests in the world?

I saw him just over a year ago in Perth and he could barely land it on the cut portion........going to need a little more convincing I'm sorry.
Sorry. It doesn't work like that.

I could equally argue that Hayden doesn't deserve the number one spot because three of his best performances in the last year came against WI, Zim, Bang.

Similarly, what on Earth is Shane Warne doing in the top 4? Come on. The guy averages 55 against India. Let me know when the guy plays a series against them.

Funnily enough, the guy who isn't good enough to lick the Australians' boots bagged the wickets of the following on the rare occasions he hit the cut portion...

Damien Martyn - three times
Adam Gilchrist - twice
Martin Love - twice
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting

He only took the above 9 wickets in 4 games against the Aussies. I agree - not very good. No tail-enders, note. What was the cream of God's own earth doing getting out to such a poor bowler - and so often?

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
So he has to bowl consistently well for 2 whole years to be classed as World Class?

Some people really like to set the bar high... :rolleyes:
Well, if he bowls superbly for the next year and suddenly stops bowling well as soon as the Ashes series starts, it's going to be a bit bloody embarrassing, if nothing else, if we've been hyping him up as world-class all that time. All the labels you give him don't matter a damn if he doesn't keep on delivering.

Personally, I see no reason to make extravagant claims about Harmison or the other bowlers. It suits a number of people to believe that none of them are any good, and that most of them are in fact jokes. I entirely approve of this, as it will make their future repeated embarrassment all the more piquant.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
Correction, you missed the SA performance and the 3rd WI performance.

In those games, he's picked up Kirsten, Kallis, Pollock, Gayle (x4), Sarwan (x3), Chanderpaul, Jacobs, Smith, Smith, Lara (x3), Ganga, Hinds.

Out of 26 wickets, 19 are of pretty decent batsmen...

Oh, and I believe his ranking isn't full yet either as he hasn't got to 70 wickets.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
badgerhair said:
Well, if he bowls superbly for the next year and suddenly stops bowling well as soon as the Ashes series starts, it's going to be a bit bloody embarrassing, if nothing else, if we've been hyping him up as world-class all that time. All the labels you give him don't matter a damn if he doesn't keep on delivering.

Personally, I see no reason to make extravagant claims about Harmison or the other bowlers. It suits a number of people to believe that none of them are any good, and that most of them are in fact jokes. I entirely approve of this, as it will make their future repeated embarrassment all the more piquant.

Cheers,

Mike
I'm yet to see anyone on here saying that SH is world-class, although there seem to be any number now who are using the term in the same sentence as the Durham man's name - generally including the word 'not' as well.

I suppose the last 40 or so wickets could be all flukes, and that he'll start firing the old leg-side wides and no-balls again. Somehow, I doubt it though.

What he most certainly is not, of course, is a joke any more - although I'm inclined to hope that the arrogance of certain Aussie fans spills over into the team.

It won't of course, but we can always hope. Next year will be a real test - but a couple of months ago there were plenty who were saying that the West Indies would be.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Hey Eddie, ease up on the 'arrogance of certain Aussie fans' thing will ya?? :lol:
I certainly respect your opinion more than most on this board........and I acknowledge the fact that South Africa are a great side - but Bangladesh and the (current) Windies side?
If he is still taking wickets and having an impact against better opposition in the months to come, I will be the first to say he has come of age - but I don't feel that time is yet.
Serious question - what were his figures like against Sri Lanka (can't remember).