• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New PWC ratings

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Fair enough. I dont think his bowling record for Surrey is hardly that great in both forms.
I think that's why he was rumoured to be wanting to leave Surrey - not getting enough bowling for them

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
My point exactly!

I was talking about series not matches.
That is a series of games interupted only by injury.

Surely the level of success over that period in different conditions is more praiseworthy than a similar run in just one series?

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
and i will tell you what...i would much rather have this england bowling attack (Harmison,Hoggard,Jones,Flintoff and Anderson in backup,and then Goughy to come in for ODI's) and any Indian 'attack' I have seen recently
with almost all of this players in england attack they had to settel for a 1-1 draw in test and lost 5 of the last 6 ODI aganist an india team

Swervy

International Captain
koch_cha said:
with almost all of this players in england attack they had to settel for a 1-1 draw in test and lost 5 of the last 6 ODI aganist an india team

yawn...whatever

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
marc...no way mate...Thorpe is technically a much better batsman than Ganguly.

I guess it is down to opinion, but I know who I would rather have to bat for my life out of the two!!!!! (and if you havent guessed,he plays for Surrey:D (unfortunately))
When u have a team with good 4 or 5 batsmen u will not have to depend on the same man all the time as england is now doing
with thorpe

so india can manage well enough with ganguly and he is one of the best captian the game has seen and surely the best that india has produced

Swervy

International Captain
koch_cha said:
he is one of the best captian the game has seen and surely the best that india has produced
hehehehe..dont make me laugh.

There are club captains I know who are more tactically aware than Ganguly is...in fact I can probably read a game better.

he has been captain during a time when India have probably had there best ever squad talent wise.

He cannot even lead by example in the field...his fielding is an utter joke

Swervy

International Captain
koch_cha said:
When u have a team with good 4 or 5 batsmen u will not have to depend on the same man all the time as england is now doing
with thorpe

so india can manage well enough with ganguly and he is one of the best captian the game has seen and surely the best that india has produced
well yes..coz India have a stronger batting line up than England..has anyone disputed that.

i dont really think England are relying solely on Thorpe..Butcher and Hussain have made some very important contributions in the current series

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
koch_cha said:
er, no.

We were handicapped by playing Candy Haddick, Tudor et al towards the end of the series.

Test 1 - Hoggard, Jones, Flintoff, White, Giles - more than enough as India are whupped.
Test 2 - Jones - injured - and Giles missing, Cork and Harmison in. The folly of the 'five seamer' attack, as England cannot finish India off in the second test. Vaughan takes 2 wickets, for goodness sake.
Test 3 - Giles back (at Headingley, ffs - yet they play 5 seamers at Trent Bridge), callups for Caddick and Tudor as Cork and Harmison fall by the wayside - injured. India deservedly win by an innings. The most brainless England selection I have seen in some time, but take nothing away from India.
Test 4 - Flintoff out now as Cork returns. Basically, stalemate.

Same attack as in the West Indies? I don't think so. They all put in an appearance once or twice, that's all.

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
hehehehe..dont make me laugh.

There are club captains I know who are more tactically aware than Ganguly is...in fact I can probably read a game better.

he has been captain during a time when India have probably had there best ever squad talent wise.

He cannot even lead by example in the field...his fielding is an utter joke
in u r early post u have clearly stated that india have a poor pace attack at present. and to win test matches with such an attack u sholud be a good leader because in cricket a captians skill is seen during the feilding not batting.

with such a poor idea about u r own post. i dont under stand how can u read a game better than ganguly as u have mentioned

and pls suggest that name of club cricketer to england because they might need him when england are playing india in the natwest challenge

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
koch_cha said:
with thorpe

Could say the same about India's seamers, but someone would only twist my words again.

Ganguly might be one of the best captains India have produced but that the game has ever seen? Do not kid yourself, pal. He is not worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Mike Brearley, Clive Lloyd, Alan Border, Steve Waugh, Lindsay Hassett, Peter May etc etc etc.

Swervy

International Captain
koch_cha said:
in u r early post u have clearly stated that india have a poor pace attack at present. and to win test matches with such an attack u sholud be a good leader because in cricket a captians skill is seen during the feilding not batting.

with such a poor idea about u r own post. i dont under stand how can u read a game better than ganguly as u have mentioned

and pls suggest that name of club cricketer to england because they might need him when england are playing india in the natwest challenge
lets have a little look:

Under the captaincy of Ganguly, India have won 1 of their last 8 tests.

In all,Ganguly has captained India 37 times..won 14 lost 11.

A breakdown of that:

P W L T D
v Australia 7 3 2 0 2
v Bangladesh 1 1 0 0 0
v England 7 2 1 0 4
v New Zealand 3 0 2 0 1
v South Africa 2 0 1 0 1
v Sri Lanka 3 1 2 0 0
v West Indies 8 3 2 0 3
v Zimbabwe 6 4 1 0 1

in Australia 4 1 1 0 2
in Bangladesh 1 1 0 0 0
in England 4 1 1 0 2
in India 14 8 1 0 5
in New Zealand 2 0 2 0 0
in South Africa 2 0 1 0 1
in Sri Lanka 3 1 2 0 0
in West Indies 5 1 2 0 2
in Zimbabwe 2 1 1 0 0

is that record really that outstanding????? This is the best INdia team we have ever seen...tons of talent..but is that a great record????...NO

Swervy

International Captain
and i think most of us have seen times when Ganguly has just looked lost captaining his team (nail biting portrays such powerful body language)....other senior players almost take over when thinks get tough

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
lets have a little look:

is that record really that outstanding????? This is the best INdia team we have ever seen...tons of talent..but is that a great record????...NO
When u consider the fact that inida have a realy bad bowling attack. ganguly will be the best captian if u take into consideration the bowling attack that other captians had may be fleming will be a little better

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
and i think most of us have seen times when Ganguly has just looked lost captaining his team (nail biting portrays such powerful body language)....other senior players almost take over when thinks get tough
other senior players u mean dravid and sachin just give me one single example to prove u r statement ????? mention the game

Swervy

International Captain
koch_cha said:
other senior players u mean dravid and sachin just give me one single example to prove u r statement ????? mention the game
certainly one or two of the tests vs England (which one, I dont remember)...Sachin was actually setting fielding positions, whilst Ganguly stood there biting his nails...great captaincy

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
with thorpe
Oh ignore Hussain and Butcher.

I seem to remember Vaughan scoring good runs in SL as well...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
Almost all?

For a start only 2 of the attack regularly play ODIs,

In the Tests I believe that Harmison and Jones played once each in that series, and Hoggard was top wicket-taker in ther series.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
That is a series of games interupted only by injury.

Surely the level of success over that period in different conditions is more praiseworthy than a similar run in just one series?
And I havent said he hasnt bowled well or doesnt deserve his spot.