• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New PWC ratings

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Thorpe?

Terrible isn't it when someone makes you look silly?

Not difficult, though, in your case. I'm only claiming half a point.

:P
Doesn't he hold it left way round?

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Harmison didn't play in Sri Lanka - he was injured. Funnily enough, the Cricinfo (spit) staff produced the following gem on December 10 last year :

Harmison considered history by England

Oh, I love to gloat.
I don't think you should be gloating about that - at least not at CricInfo, because they weren't the only ones who had that story.

The SL tour was a rather depressing affair, hot and uncomfortable and England's backs were against the wall the whole time. And back home, the injury-prone and inconsistent Harmison wasn't at Loughborough with the Academy but whingeing about not being given a central contract. And he's always been known for homesickness, and this was further evidence thereof.

I suspect there were quite a few people in the England camp who were Not Happy, and were quite prepared to say so to any passing journo. Since neither they nor the journos were in any real position to confirm what was or was not happening with Harmison back home, the story grew legs.

What they didn't know was that Harmison was growing up. Neither did we. Those of us with open minds had noticed that he'd bowled very well in his last two matches and were at least prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think any of us had expected the improvement we have witnessed.

Cheers,

Mike

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
Now Marc, on the other hand, is a pedant-peddler........someone who deals in pedantics (at least with seemingly every point I make)
All I do is comment on posts that I have something to say about.

The fact that a lot of your points lead me to make a comment is irrelevant.

biased indian

International Coach
harmisons rise is a joke. Of his 63 test wickets 31 are aganist really struggling W.I and bangladesh in four matches and his other 11 test has produced only 32 wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
harmisons rise is a joke. Of his 63 test wickets 31 are aganist really struggling W.I and bangladesh in four matches and his other 11 test has produced only 32 wickets.
And look at the names of the players he's got out - 63 wickets @ 23.25 cannot be a fluke.

Gayle (4)
Gibbs, Lara, Sarwan, Martyn (3)
Gilchrist, Kirsten, Love (2)
Chanderpaul, Flower, Ganguly, Hayden, Hinds, Pollock, Ponting, Rudolph, Dw Smith, De Smith.

That's 32 wickets there and some pretty decent batsmen.

Swervy

International Captain
koch_cha said:
this coming from an Indian...hahahahaha.

Look yeah the West Indies arent at their strongest, but it is still a team with Lara in it (who before this series was in blistering form!!!),Sarwan (who is still a very very good batsman in my opinion),Chanderpaul (remember what he did vs Australia last year), etc.

To call Harmisons rise a joke, is a joke in itself. He has bowled extremely well to get where he is now. Give the man some credit.

Swervy

International Captain
and i will tell you what...i would much rather have this england bowling attack (Harmison,Hoggard,Jones,Flintoff and Anderson in backup,and then Goughy to come in for ODI's) and any Indian 'attack' I have seen recently

Raj123

U19 Debutant
this coming from an Indian...hahahahaha.
what is this supposed to mean.:!(

and i will tell you what...i would much rather have this england bowling attack (Harmison,Hoggard,Jones,Flintoff and Anderson in backup,and then Goughy to come in for ODI's) and any Indian 'attack' I have seen recently
and i cant think of a single england batsman that i have seen for a long long time that would get into this indian side.:rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
I'd sooner have it against any Indian seam attack in their history -with the possible exception of 1992-93 when Srinath was just starting and Kapil Dev was just ending - provided you threw in a couple of decent spinners as well.

twctopcat

International Regular
and i cant think of a single england batsman that i have seen for a long long time that would get into this indian side.:rolleyes: [/B]

This thread is about bowling in case you didn't notice, don't think anyone is disputing the superiority of the Indian batting. But for the record give me Thorpe over Ganguly and Vaughan over Chopra in Test matches any day.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Raj123 said:
and i cant think of a single england batsman that i have seen for a long long time that would get into this indian side.:rolleyes:
Opening wise there'd have been a spot for Vaughan.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Raj123 said:
No-one has disputed that - I even wrote the other day that any of the Indian middle order would get into any other team in the world.

Only a blind man cannot see that India have an absolutely wonderful batting line-up. That was never the point, however, but I don't really expect you to understand.

Swervy

International Captain
Raj123 said:
what is this supposed to mean.:!(

well that is supposed to mean that there is a tendancy for people to slag of English bowlers, if they do badly then its coz England cant produce good bowlers, if they do well, they dont deserve it.

I find it ironic that an Indian supporter can diss Harmison's performances when India have no-one of note who have performed like this for years...and yet all we here about is that Zaheer Khan is the greatest (when the world cup was on), or Pathan is great etc coz he bowls the odd good ball.

If you are trying to hint at me being racist, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

Yeah you might be right about Indian batsman, but i will tell you something, the Indian batsman apart from Dravid and Tendulkar may well struggle in English conditions, and so I would rather have Thorpe than Sehwag,I would rather Flintoff than Yuvraj or Kaif or whoever,in English conditions....and then there is Vaughan.

Anyway we were talking about bowling

The top and bottom of it is India arent as good as many Indian supporters seem to think they are,and England arent as bad as many of those Indians fan think they are.

Last edited:

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Opening wise there'd have been a spot for Vaughan.
hes been cold for a while now. so i'd stick with chopra, thanks.

Thorpe over Ganguly
and the reason would be......cos they have same batting average and the latter is captain of the side.

This thread is about bowling
this thread is about "new PWC ratings" and for a while the discussion has been on harmison. how is this thread any way connected to the history of indian pace bowling and has anyone claimed that indian pacers are better than this lot of england bowlers. so what are you guys rambling on about how none of the indians would be in this lineup. anyway i dont expect you to understand this.

Swervy

International Captain
koch_cha said:
raj...look at what started this.Its that kind of comment that gets peoples backs up...i just find it all rather amusing that an Indian can say that,when you look at the state of Indian pace bowling

Raj123

U19 Debutant
well that is supposed to mean that there is a tendancy for people to slag of English bowlers, if they do badly then its coz England cant produce good bowlers, if they do well, they dont deserve it.
arent you doing the same thing when you say "Pathan is great etc coz he bowls the odd good ball". i mean isnt there a tendency to do the same cos indian dont have good pacers.

If you are trying to hint at me being racist, then you are barking up the wrong tree.
no, you missed the point. claiming that indian cricket never had pacers fit for the england team is totally uncalled for.

The top and bottom of it is India arent as good as many Indian supporters seem to think they are,and England arent as bad as many of those Indians fan think they are.
and the same can be said about england supporters opinion on indian cricket

Swervy

International Captain
hahahaha...Chopra over Vaughan????? thats a classic, I mean Chopra has set the test scene on fire with his mind boggling performances of 2 test 50's in 13 innings and an average of just over 30...it must be his scintillating stroke play, a strike rate of 35 is breath taking (in the way the grim reaper is breath taking)

Ganguly over Thorpe...do me a favour....hahahahaha

Raj123

U19 Debutant
raj...look at what started this.Its that kind of comment that gets peoples backs up...i just find it all rather amusing that an Indian can say that,when you look at the state of Indian pace bowling
so tell that guy how wrong he is. all im saying is dont ridicule countries cricket histories cos you dont like someones comments.