Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New PWC ratings

U19 Vice-Captain
    Originally posted by marc71178
    So he has to bowl consistently well for 2 whole years to be classed as World Class?

Some people really like to set the bar high... :rolleyes:
    Well, if he bowls superbly for the next year and suddenly stops bowling well as soon as the Ashes series starts, it's going to be a bit bloody embarrassing, if nothing else, if we've been hyping him up as world-class all that time. All the labels you give him don't matter a damn if he doesn't keep on delivering.

Personally, I see no reason to make extravagant claims about Harmison or the other bowlers. It suits a number of people to believe that none of them are any good, and that most of them are in fact jokes. I entirely approve of this, as it will make their future repeated embarrassment all the more piquant.

Cheers,

Mike

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Kenny
    I tend to agree.......a good performance against Bangladesh and two good tests against the Windies, and he's the number 4 bowler in tests in the world?
    Correction, you missed the SA performance and the 3rd WI performance.

In those games, he's picked up Kirsten, Kallis, Pollock, Gayle (x4), Sarwan (x3), Chanderpaul, Jacobs, Smith, Smith, Lara (x3), Ganga, Hinds.

Out of 26 wickets, 19 are of pretty decent batsmen...

Oh, and I believe his ranking isn't full yet either as he hasn't got to 70 wickets.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Banned
    I feel Dravid should be No.1 becasue of his consistentcy

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by badgerhair
    Well, if he bowls superbly for the next year and suddenly stops bowling well as soon as the Ashes series starts, it's going to be a bit bloody embarrassing, if nothing else, if we've been hyping him up as world-class all that time. All the labels you give him don't matter a damn if he doesn't keep on delivering.

Personally, I see no reason to make extravagant claims about Harmison or the other bowlers. It suits a number of people to believe that none of them are any good, and that most of them are in fact jokes. I entirely approve of this, as it will make their future repeated embarrassment all the more piquant.

Cheers,

Mike
    I'm yet to see anyone on here saying that SH is world-class, although there seem to be any number now who are using the term in the same sentence as the Durham man's name - generally including the word 'not' as well.

I suppose the last 40 or so wickets could be all flukes, and that he'll start firing the old leg-side wides and no-balls again. Somehow, I doubt it though.

What he most certainly is not, of course, is a joke any more - although I'm inclined to hope that the arrogance of certain Aussie fans spills over into the team.

It won't of course, but we can always hope. Next year will be a real test - but a couple of months ago there were plenty who were saying that the West Indies would be.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

U19 Debutant
    Hey Eddie, ease up on the 'arrogance of certain Aussie fans' thing will ya??
    I certainly respect your opinion more than most on this board........and I acknowledge the fact that South Africa are a great side - but Bangladesh and the (current) Windies side?
    If he is still taking wickets and having an impact against better opposition in the months to come, I will be the first to say he has come of age - but I don't feel that time is yet.
    Serious question - what were his figures like against Sri Lanka (can't remember).

I would suggest he's done that already in performing against 3 different sides in vastly different conditions.
    In a comination of one, one and two Tests, not a series.

I'm having a go at him by any stretch and yes he has bowled well, but it doesnt consistute a series just indivdual matches.

That is my point.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Originally posted by luckyeddie
    I'm yet to see anyone on here saying that SH is world-class, although there seem to be any number now who are using the term in the same sentence as the Durham man's name - generally including the word 'not' as well.

eg. Not Harmison he's world-class
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Hey Eddie, ease up on the 'arrogance of certain Aussie fans' thing will ya??
    I certainly respect your opinion more than most on this board........and I acknowledge the fact that South Africa are a great side - but Bangladesh and the (current) Windies side?
    If he is still taking wickets and having an impact against better opposition in the months to come, I will be the first to say he has come of age - but I don't feel that time is yet.
    Serious question - what were his figures like against Sri Lanka (can't remember).
    No probs. We Maiden fans have to stick together on some issues, and yet remain sensible and debate matters when we disagree.

<quack> You'd do him if you met him in the pub

Sssssshhhh.

I must confess to being surprised at how the West Indians have capitulated under pressure. Remember just 2 or 3 months ago in South Africa people were saying that their problem was related to the bowling and not the batting (average score was well over 300), the following individual scores were registered :

Lara 202, 115
    Sarwan 114, 119
    Chanderpaul 109
    Gayle 116, 107
    Smith 105*

4 tests, 8 tons against an attack I would take over England's any day of the week - Pollock, Ntini, Nel (wow!), Kallis.

Now, nothing. Spineless displays yet they have the makings of a decent bowling attack. Trouble at t'mill indeed.

Harmison didn't play in Sri Lanka - he was injured. Funnily enough, the Cricinfo (spit) staff produced the following gem on December 10 last year :

Harmison considered history by England

Oh, I love to gloat.

.and I acknowledge the fact that South Africa are a great side - but Bangladesh and the (current) Windies side?
    This current West Indian side still has batsmen of the quality fo Lara, Chanderpaul, Sarwan...

Last time I checked they weren't bad players.

Originally posted by Craig
    In a comination of one, one and two Tests, not a series.

I'm having a go at him by any stretch and yes he has bowled well, but it doesnt consistute a series just indivdual matches.

That is my point.
    They're in (now) 5 consecutive games over a range of conditions against some pretty decent batsmen.

As I type, he needs 6 wickets in the Final Test to break the record for most wickets by an Englishman in the Caribbean, a record set in 5 matches when he only has 4...

Originally posted by luckyeddie
    Harmison didn't play in Sri Lanka - he was injured. Funnily enough, the Cricinfo (spit) staff produced the following gem on December 10 last year :

Harmison considered history by England

Oh, I love to gloat.
    What a difference 4 months makes eh?

He's now under the new release, up to number 3 in the World (!) and would in theory be opening the bowling with Shoaib for the World XI (with Pollock as 1st change)

You know, I'm going to have to revise my thoughts about him (Steve Wayward-Harmison) being world cl... (voice trails into distance).

Seriously, he's top 10 for me and I'll settle for that - provided the other England seamers get ahead of him in the rankings, of course.

My God! Could you imagine what the hype would be like if he were Indian?

They're in (now) 5 consecutive games over a range of conditions against some pretty decent batsmen.

As I type, he needs 6 wickets in the Final Test to break the record for most wickets by an Englishman in the Caribbean, a record set in 5 matches when he only has 4...
    Out of curioristy who holds the record?

Fair point about him and e has finally got the confidence in himself.

The jury is still out on him in ODIS and it will not guarantee sucess in that form of the game regardless on what you might say.

Originally posted by Craig
    Out of curioristy who holds the record?

Fair point about him and e has finally got the confidence in himself.

The jury is still out on him in ODIS and it will not guarantee sucess in that form of the game regardless on what you might say.
    Angus Fraser and John Snow, both 27 I think. Fraser did it in 5 tests, Snow played in 4.

The ODI point is totally irrelevant as England have the likes of Collingwood, Clarke and the like who give genuine all-rounder options.

They've also got Anthony McGrath (walks away muttering to himself)

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Well his 6 wickets in the 3rd test (when he bowled probably the worse he has done since last summer) has moved him up to joint 3rd in the rankings now with Aktar.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information