• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Zimbabwe Thread

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
You know, if Warne breaks the world record for wickets in the series against Zimbabwe, does it still count on account of the opposition being so poor?

Craig

World Traveller
Linda said:
I think he just means Lehmann, Robertson and Dale were all debuts in 98.:rolleyes:
**** Mod Edit - There is no place for making threats towards our members here!, we are all here to have fun and just because she pulled you up on a error there is no need to be abusive and make threats back ****

Last edited by a moderator:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
You know, if Warne breaks the world record for wickets in the series against Zimbabwe, does it still count on account of the opposition being so poor?
Will Warney even get a bowl after Gillespie, Kaspa and McGrath rip through them?

Williams simply does not appeal as a test bowler. He has done nothing in his appearances so far. He doesn't even look threatening. Bring Tait along for the learning experiance.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
He did, but I believe Kenny was talking about his initial selection as being a left field one.
Yes that was my point, although most got it - Warne had played a handful of first class matches when called for duty - the bigger point being that Australia has often 'blooded' unproved and inexperienced players.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
If so, Murali's cannot be counted either:P

Linda

Craig said:
just because she pulled you up on a error there is no need to be abusive and make threats back
Aww come on, I wanna see what he said.. Nah just kidding ;)

In all seriousness, Craig you were 'pulling someone up on a (apparent) error' yourself, to start off with, so theres no need to get narky about it alright.

Linda

luckyeddie said:
Fred Trueman still holds the record in my book:P
In that case, Australia have always been, and will always be the best team ever. No matter how many records England (cough cough) break. :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
In that case, Australia have always been, and will always be the best team ever. No matter how many records England (cough cough) break. :D
I'm not disagreeing with the 'always have been' bit. Some of the Aussie teams in the past have been awesome.

<quack> Especially when they got fitted with those new, longer chains on their leg-irons.

Sorry about that. The duck's working on a new project - 'Devil Ducky's History of Cricket'

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
With Bevan now out of the tour to Zimbabwe (so said by Chairman of Selectors, Trevor Hohns), I wonder who would be replacing him in the team, since there is obviously a spot open now.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
luckyeddie said:
Fred Trueman still holds the record in my book:P
It seems LE's book was written in 1965.

I'm out of date too - my book was written in 1983...

Liiiilleeeee
Liiiilleeeee

Andre

International Regular
SquidAU said:
With Bevan now out of the tour to Zimbabwe (so said by Chairman of Selectors, Trevor Hohns), I wonder who would be replacing him in the team, since there is obviously a spot open now.
Boof.

Craig

World Traveller
Re: Australia in Zimbabwe Thread

Craig said:
*RT Ponting, +AC Gilchrist, ML Hayden, DR Martyn, DS Lehmann, A Symonds, MG Bevan, MJ Clarke, GB Hogg, JN Gillespie, MS Kasprowicz, GD McGrath (as above), SR Watson/IJ HArvey/BA Williams.
Spot the errror? I had 13 players in there.

So I guess Harvey will keep his spot in place of Bevan and let Watson and Williams fight itout for one spot.

Linda

Re: Re: Australia in Zimbabwe Thread

Craig said:
Spot the errror? I had 13 players in there.
No, but I spot another error. Hehe :P

Ahhh leg-chains, so thats what was wrong with Marto all summer!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
bennyr said:
It seems LE's book was written in 1965.

I'm out of date too - my book was written in 1983...

Liiiilleeeee
Liiiilleeeee
And Bennyr wins today's point - nice comeback

bennyr

U19 12th Man
age_master said:
surely he will be there, but would he be in the selectors minds for the next WC???
You know, I think that might have been the justification for him not being selected for those two years when he was clearly amongst the best six batsmen in the country and was constantly overlooked - not being in the selectors future plans. It may also explain their reluctance to recall Kaspa until they had no other option.

I'd really like it if the selectors stopped trying so hard to pick the best team for the next world cup and started trying to pick the best side to win the next ODI.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
bennyr said:
You know, I think that might have been the justification for him not being selected for those two years when he was clearly amongst the best six batsmen in the country and was constantly overlooked - not being in the selectors future plans. It may also explain their reluctance to recall Kaspa until they had no other option.

I'd really like it if the selectors stopped trying so hard to pick the best team for the next world cup and started trying to pick the best side to win the next ODI.
Why is it not a good idea to plan for the next world cup. I would much rather have young players with three years experience in the World Cup squad than players with 4 or 5 months experience. Look - there was going to come a time when Bevan wasn't going to play for Ausralia anymore. Rather than let him fade out and cost a young member experience they have bitten the bullet and seen this as the right time. Who knows, he could hit 4000 runs in the next Australian summer and demand his spot back...you never know.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Mister Wright said:
Why is it not a good idea to plan for the next world cup. I would much rather have young players with three years experience in the World Cup squad than players with 4 or 5 months experience.
I agree with the need to plan, but it needs to be balanced against form and experience.

I think the paying public deserves better than to have every ODI between here and WC2007 treated as a warm up game. Players like Boof, Kaspa and Bevan are unlikely to be on the scene for WC2007, but I reckon all are worthy of any spots they earn at the moment. The ODI side is carrying enough planning burden at the moment with the continued selection of Michael Clarke, who will prove himself, but has been a little disappointing so far.