• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Streak Sacked As Zimbabwe Captain

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The article suggests that he's retired ("resigned") from playing too.

I think there's a saying here about noses, cutting, faces and spiting.

IsuraE

School Boy/Girl Captain
Does anyone know what his "demands" were. It doesn't mention what they are in the cricinfo article.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He was about the last real quality player they had....Zim cricket is going from bad to worse pretty fast and no end in sight....:(

Langeveldt

Soutie
Really sad to hear this.. Really bad news... Why they didnt offer it to Grant Flower god only knows..

Oh well if they want a "talented" black captain, theyve got one now :!( :!( Talk about being badly prepared, Taibu shouldnt really be in the team...

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
IsuraE said:
Does anyone know what his "demands" were. It doesn't mention what they are in the cricinfo article.
I think its pretty clear it was about the selection of Coloured players over White players who were obviously better than them.
It's been a problem for quite a while now.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Ban Zimbabwe from all International competition and organisations.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
There goes a great player and captain in Heath Streak.

Just like Rich2001 said, they really are in a bad state now.

Cloete

International Captain
The noly quality player with any sort of a future they have left now IMO has to be Sean Ervine, he's just a total gun!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
Taibu shouldnt really be in the team...
Why not? IMO he, Streak and Flower are the only players who could and should be counted as automatic picks. Brave little batsman and a very much above average wicketkeeper.

Rich2001

International Captain
Going to be very tough on him though, 20 years old - wicketkeeper - top order batsman and trying to learn the ropes as a captain with a team that isn't expected to win alot.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I havent seen much class from Taibu really.. However if he is the best going... well.....

I think Streak will carry on as a player.. As I read it, he made a demand (we dont know what) that couldnt be met (fair enough) and he handed his resignation in (as captain)...

Neil, why would the banning of Zimbabwe from Organizations and Sporting Events make a modicum of difference??? The country is being run by a madman, who is hellbent on clinging to power... He really couldnt care less for foreign affairs and diplomacy at all, because in his eyes its Zanu PF against the western world... Whats the point in isolating an already isolated country even further???

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Western leaders are so hypocritical.
You berate Mugabe for ruling his country with an iron fist yet you cosy up to Musharraf just because you need his assistance.

I don't see any difference between the two --- just ask the minority Christian, Hindu and Kalash communities how they have felt under the so called "democracy" in Pakistan.

Let's face it the concept of freedom and democracy as defined by Bush and his sidekicks Blair and Howard is a selective one.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I think we can leave the political arguements to the "Off Topic" part of the forum...this one seems to be about cricket....

:rolleyes:

Back to the cricket, if anyone was going to make Zimbabwe a competitive team, it was Heath Streak. Now that they have lost him as captain, the path seems more rockier now. Taibu is a good batsmen and keeper but he is too young to put the captaincy on his shoulders, not to mention his other responsibilities.

Let's hope that Streak can help young Taibu gel the team.....

Salamuddin

International Debutant
SquidAU said:
I think we can leave the political arguements to the "Off Topic" part of the forum...this one seems to be about cricket....

:rolleyes:

Back to the cricket, if anyone was going to make Zimbabwe a competitive team, it was Heath Streak. Now that they have lost him as captain, the path seems more rockier now. Taibu is a good batsmen and keeper but he is too young to put the captaincy on his shoulders, not to mention his other responsibilities.

Let's hope that Streak can help young Taibu gel the team.....
I don't see how you can ignore the politics. If you want to ban Zimbabwe (as some forum members have suggested) on political grounds, then why won't you ban Pakistan ?

Loony BoB

International Captain
I think it's safe to say that Zimbabwe's cricket has a much higher degree of political influence than any other - the only other country I know that might equal it is South Africa, although I don't think they've had any troubles caused by it for a long time now.

Tough break, definitely, but I'm sure he'll still have strong influence on Taibu's decisions. For all we know, Taibu might find strength in being a captain. It is a shame, but you can't knock the next in line if he truely is prepared to take on the position. If he isn't, well, he'll just end up being a puppet captain or an awful captain.

Majin

International Debutant
Er, I may be wrong here, but you're all saying that he'll help Taibu along, when I'm like 90% sure on the wisden site it says he's handed in his resignation to all forms of Zimbabwean cricket, so like, he's not going to play any more at all, except in County Cricket.

Edit: From the wisden site.

"Heath Streak has resigned as Zimbabwe's captain. Streak made a series of demands to the Zimbabwean Cricket Union, threatening to quit the game altogether if they were not met: but the ZCU called his bluff, and he has been replaced by Tatenda Taibu with immediate effect.

According to the ZCU, Streak presented their board of directors with an ultimatum during their quarterly meeting. His demands included the immediate review of the selection panel, to leave a maximum of four selectors who would not be directors or commentators and who should have played first-class or Test cricket.

Streak apparently said he had no confidence in the teams being selected, and added that he was under stress as he was doubling up as the players' representative, and the players were continuously raising grievances to him. Streak had earlier said that he was not happy with the management of the team, or with Geoff Marsh, the coach, saying that he had misrepresented him to the selectors.

Streak, who is still only 30, has played 59 Tests and 183 one-dayers. He has had two stints as Zimbabwe's captain but, despite the odd success, he was unable to change their fortunes. If indeed he has played his last game for Zimbabwe he will follow other big names, such as Andy Flower, Alistair Campbell and Henry Olonga, out of international cricket.

Okay, so I can't remember where I saw the handed in resignation to all forms of cricket thing, but yeah. He might be leaving the team alltogether.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
jamesryfler said:
Western leaders are so hypocritical.
You berate Mugabe for ruling his country with an iron fist yet you cosy up to Musharraf just because you need his assistance.

I don't see any difference between the two --- just ask the minority Christian, Hindu and Kalash communities how they have felt under the so called "democracy" in Pakistan.

Let's face it the concept of freedom and democracy as defined by Bush and his sidekicks Blair and Howard is a selective one.
Blah blah blah blah. We have been over this in off topic over and over, so dont start.

Its a joke that Taibu is captain at his age. Grant Flower would be ideal.

Last edited: