• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is The Greatest Ever West Indies Cricketer?

Who is the Greatest Ever West Indies Cricketer?

• GS Sobers

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • CH Lloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IVA Richards

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • MA Holding

• AME Roberts

• CG Greenidge

• DL Murray

• DL Haynes

• J Garner

• PJL Dujon

• MD Marshall

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • CA Walsh

• CEL Ambrose

• CL Hooper

• BC Lara

• ED Weekes

• FMM Worrell

• CL Walcott

• S Ramadhin

• AL Valentine

• LN Constantine

• GA Headley

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Who do you all think here is the greatest West Indies Cricketer?

(Some have replied back before in regards to why some players weren't on the poll, so I have added those players to the poll).

Last edited:

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Well I didn't vote in my poll as I have two choices for both forms of the game:

Test's: Garry Sobers
ODI's: Viv Richards

Though I reckon that if ODI's were around during most of Sobers career, then IMO he would of been a great ODI player.

Craig

World Traveller
GS Sobers for me.

I would name George Headley as the WI greatest ever batsmen.

Having Carl Hooper is a joke.

Cloete

International Captain
why isn't "The Black Bradman" on there? Rohan Kanhai! I'd have to rate him up there. He has to be one of the best West Indian batsmen along with Headley, Sobers and Richards. However it stil has to be sobers for mine.

tooextracool

International Coach
Cloete said:
why isn't "The Black Bradman" on there? Rohan Kanhai! I'd have to rate him up there. He has to be one of the best West Indian batsmen along with Headley, Sobers and Richards. However it stil has to be sobers for mine.
uh george headley is "the black bradman"

Craig

World Traveller
Looks a clear lead for Sobers...

An amazing cricketing family is that Kanhai and Kallicharran are both uncles to Mahendra Nagamootoo. Talk about batting talent...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
its hard to see how the official best living player can be out voted

i beleive you owe me abit of Gilchrist praise in your sig.... and a Gilly avatar....

a massive zebra

International Captain
I would have to go for Sobers.

Having Hooper on that list at the expense of Hunte is rather disturbing.

Here is my all time West Indies team:

Conrad Hunte
Viv Richards (cpt)
George Headley
Everton Weekes
Brian Lara
Gary Sobers
Jeff Dujon (wk)
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtley Ambrose
Joel Garner

12th Man: Learie Constantine

West Indies 'A'

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Rohan Kanhai
Alvin Kallicharran
Clive Lloyd
Frank Worrell (cpt)
Derek Murray (wk)
Wes Hall
Andy Roberts
Courtney Walsh
Lance Gibbs

12th Man: Roger Harper

An objection to Viv Richards batting at 2 is understandable, but those from 2-5 in the batting order are automatic selections, all are middle order batsmen, and Sobers must bat at 6. Sobers would provide the variety in the bowling attack with his left arm spin. Both 12th men were selected for their fielding and not on playing ability alone.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Why shouldn't he be on the list.

102 Tests
227 ODI's
He has been captain of both sides.
On that basis Steve Waugh is the greatest player ever and Don Bradman was just an average Test player.

Hooper has a pretty average record, averaging mid 30s with the bat and almost 50 with the ball in Tests. He may be a reasonable player but there must have been dozens of better West Indies players in the past.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
I can't possibly add or remember every West Indies player when I was doing the poll.

I didn't put the other option on the poll for nothing.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
On that basis Steve Waugh is the greatest player ever and Don Bradman was just an average Test player.
I can't put every darn statstic of Hooper's here, I meerly just wanted to point out SOME.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Hooper has a pretty average record, averaging mid 30s with the bat and almost 50 with the ball in Tests. He may be a reasonable player but there must have been dozens of better West Indies players in the past.
Hooper might not be a Sobers, but he was just like you said a reasonable player.

I have said this so many times, I can't put every West Indies player in a poll & though I know that some might not be satisfied with that explanation.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
I would have to go for Sobers.

Here is my all time West Indies team:

Conrad Hunte
Viv Richards (cpt)
George Headley
Everton Weekes
Brian Lara
Gary Sobers
Jeff Dujon (wk)
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtley Ambrose
Joel Garner

12th Man: Learie Constantine

West Indies 'A'

Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes
Rohan Kanhai
Alvin Kallicharran
Clive Lloyd
Frank Worrell (cpt)
Derek Murray (wk)
Wes Hall
Andy Roberts
Courtney Walsh
Lance Gibbs

12th Man: Roger Harper

An objection to Viv Richards batting at 2 is understandable, but those from 2-5 in the batting order are automatic selections, all are middle order batsmen, and Sobers must bat at 6. Sobers would provide the variety in the bowling attack with his left arm spin. Both 12th men were selected for their fielding and not on playing ability alone.
both teams seem allright except for the WI team having both garner and ambrose who bowl exactly the same way. i say put andy roberts in there....its no coincidence that gavaskar rates him as the best bowler hes ever faced...im sure the fact that he bowled 3-4 types of bouncers influenced that