• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the worst shot you have played in Cricket?

Bijed

International Regular
Well, I played many a wild, footworkless slog in my days as a rank tailender, but the shot I regret most was in fact a non-shot I played to end what was at the time my best innings.

I'm on 9 - double figures, that hitherto distant glory, seems so close and I'm in the zone and its my day. A new bowler comes on. He's a right-armer and I'm left handed, so he goes around the wicket. He runs in. In my mind I'm already taking a quick-ish single to bring up my milestone. Of course, proper batsman that I now am, I'm much too sensible than to do anything but take a ball to see what he's doing off the pitch and all that, so I step forwards and across and gracefully shoulder arms.

The ball smashes into leg stump. The post-match pizza tasted bitter that evening.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think I managed to sweep one on to my leg stump at one point.

Burgey

Well, I played many a wild, footworkless slog in my days as a rank tailender, but the shot I regret most was in fact a non-shot I played to end what was at the time my best innings.

I'm on 9 - double figures, that hitherto distant glory, seems so close and I'm in the zone and its my day. A new bowler comes on. He's a right-armer and I'm left handed, so he goes around the wicket. He runs in. In my mind I'm already taking a quick-ish single to bring up my milestone. Of course, proper batsman that I now am, I'm much too sensible than to do anything but take a ball to see what he's doing off the pitch and all that, so I step forwards and across and gracefully shoulder arms.

The ball smashes into leg stump. The post-match pizza tasted bitter that evening.
I feel your pain. Was playing a final many years ago and batting really well. Didn't pick a toppy bowled by an off spinner from around the wicket (I"m left handed), shouldered arms and it clipped off stump. Was devastated. Probably cost us the game tbh.

SillyCowCorner1

No shot in cricket is a worst shot.

When you play those shots and get a boundary, adjectives used to describe it are: innovative, mind-blowing, cheeky, lucky.

When you get dismissed and look like a fool, then the shot is considered the worst shot you have ever chose to play!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Playing in a Trial Game, they bring on a slow-medium pacer. I can't get him away. After not scoring off his first four deliveries, I tried to pull a full ball, top edge, caught by keeper.

It haunts me.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My first league 50 for my old club... batting at 4 I drag us from 30/3 to 140/7 and I'm 67*.

Slow loopy off spinner bowling straight. I'm useless off my pads. All I'm doing is taking one a ball down to long on/off but am conscious of the fact I'm running out of partners but there's still 16 overs left, or there abouts, in the innings.

Remark to the Keeper that this is a situation where I really wished I could sweep. Next ball, I tried it anyway. Stone dead lbw. Keeper pissed himself. We were 147ao and ended up losing by one wicket.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'm batting with the number eleven and i haven't scored in about fifteen balls because he's scoring freely at the other end against a fast guy and i've got a good enough defense to focus on not getting out to this slow old man offspinner, and there's still twenty odd overs left. the issue is that this silver fox is putting it on a dime on the good length - i'm tall enough to easily get forward and defend at the pitch but he's cramping me if i try to go back and play a shot

i get too sick of just defending and play an awful half standing sweep thing (and i am normally quite good on the sweep but i was getting impatient) up to a ball i shouldn't have and it just misses grazing the off stump. i do the very same thing next ball and the off stump is plinked back, and we are all out for about eighty-odd

Shri

Mr. Glass
I used to have casual hit outs with U10 players when I was supposed to look after the kits for the coach during summer cricket camps in college. The coach did not come once and I made them line up and told them to bowl at me until I was satisfied with their bowling. Edged a fat kid's off break onto my face, which split my lower lip open and then got bowled the next ball charging at the ****. Told him he was a ****ing chucker and made him run 10 laps around the ground.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am usually a pretty solid player, in that I do not really play a shot that is not warranted, even the ones I get out to are generally reasonably shot selections just executed badly. But we were playing at the Marina here one time, and I was coming off making a 50 at the Chepauk, an international cricket ground, so was obviously asked to open for my street team. Bowler was bowling into the wind and it was huge there at the beach, and I somehow managed to sweep the first ball I faced straight back to the bowler. A proper horizontal bat sweep shot that went to the bowler. I didnt even mistime it that much. :laugh:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it was a full toss and the first ball of the match.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I am usually a pretty solid player, in that I do not really play a shot that is not warranted, even the ones I get out to are generally reasonably shot selections just executed badly. But we were playing at the Marina here one time, and I was coming off making a 50 at the Chepauk, an international cricket ground, so was obviously asked to open for my street team. Bowler was bowling into the wind and it was huge there at the beach, and I somehow managed to sweep the first ball I faced straight back to the bowler. A proper horizontal bat sweep shot that went to the bowler. I didnt even mistime it that much. :laugh:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it was a full toss and the first ball of the match.
Its the beach. It wwould be a surprise if it were a bouncer.

cnerd123

likes this
I've built my batting reputation around being a reliable blocker who can slog a ball in his arc. It's not pretty, it's very limited, but I don't play lots of bad strokes.

I usually don't get to bat a lot, and most of my dismissals when I do bat tend to be due to being beaten by movement /variable bounce, or miscuing an aggressive stroke. So usually not something I regret.

I do have one dismissal I regret a lot tho. It was in my school's intra-school cricket league. This was in my final year. We had never had a proper cricket league before. The year prior we had a small tournament, and based on the success of that, me and my friends in the senior batch organised the league. It was played in this small area between all the academic buildings. Due to the limitation of space and time I think we were playing just 9 players a side, 15 overs an innings. Or something to that effect.

We had 4 'Houses', each a different color, which we were assigned to by the school arbitrarily and then had to compete for in intra-school events. Basically like Harry Potter except without a sorting hat. I was the captain of my House's team for the league. As luck would have it, our house had no good cricket talent, apart from in the lowest age groups. Some very talented kids there, but there was no way they could compete with the older, senior-heavy teams.

So I took this team of young underdogs under my wing and began coaching them. Literally organizing sessions after school where I could run drills with them. I had to miss the first game of the season, but the boys performed brilliantly and won the first game.

The second game we lost, but mainly down to a couple of seniors stinking it up. I decided to drop them from that point on. They were pissed that I was picking kids over them, but so be it. They were ****.

The third game was against the pre-series favorites. This house had historically sucked at all sports, but this year the school overcompensated, and they were loaded with like 80% of the kids who would have represented our school if we had a cricket team. They had dominated their first two games. Everyone though we would lose.

We lost the toss and were bowling first.

Back then I used to bowl medium pace. This year I had a bit of a Ryan Harris moment, and had suddenly found a few extra yards of pace, making me one of the fastest bowlers in the school. I managed to wheel through my 3 overs for 2 maidens, 1 run, and 1 wicket. The other kids bowled really well. We had restricted them to a very chaseable target - a target I wish I could remember.

Our batsmen went out to chase it down. I hid myself down the order because I felt I could pull of a repair job if needed, and because I wanted to show faith in the kids. So my youngsters go out there and battle against a very strong and experienced bowling attack, and got us closer and closer to the target. But we kept losing wickets.

I went in when the match was in the balance. All these guys, my class mates basically, began chirping at me. I wanted to play the match winning knock here that would take us home.

I started well. Found some runs. Blocked some out. One of their weaker bowlers came on - a bowler I had smashed around quite a bit when we had our pre-game practices - and I sensed an opportunity to hit a few boundaries and take us over the line.

He bowled a dolly of a delivery around offstump. A juicy half volley. My eyes lit up. I wanted to swing it over to the long on boundary, get the easy six. I had smashed these tons before. This was my go to shot. If it's in the arc, it's outta the park.

I swung. I got a feather of an edge. The keeper held on.

I was so distraught. I chucked my bat away as I walked off, and another of the young kids walked in. I was so mad at myself for throwing away the chance to pull of this huge upset, i walked out of the playing area and out in the back, basically moping around upset and cursing myself. Eventually I heard cheers from the ground and the dread set in, so I walked back to present myself and shake hands and be the good role model for the young kids that I was supposed to be.

We had won the match. One of the young guns smacked a bunch of boundaries, and the other one supported him, and they both had taken us both home.

The season ended shortly after. We were the only ones who beat this team. We finished 2nd out of the 4 house teams IIRC, with 2 wins out of 4 games (we lost a nailbiter after this one), way exceeding pre-season expectations. And we had the greatest upset of the series.

And I missed the winning moment because I was too busy moping for myself, and because I had the arrogance to think that my wicket was so important that my side couldn't win without me.

Have always regretted that.

Bahseph

State Captain
Church league game. Needed 29 off 3 overs and I was 45* playing pretty sensibly. Their best bowler comes on and I couldn't get him away for three deliveries. Next ball was on a length tried on middle and i tried running at him and got my middle stump uprooted. Argh.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I was so distraught. I chucked my bat away as I walked off, and another of the young kids walked in. I was so mad at myself for throwing away the chance to pull of this huge upset, i walked out of the playing area and out in the back, basically moping around upset and cursing myself.

We had won the match.

And I missed the winning moment
What more can you expect from a Bangers fan?

indiaholic

International Captain
Last ball needed three to win and I was bloody nervous. Tried to calm myself down and decided that I will make room and then just play the ball. The ball was on length on middle and i played a backfoot defensive shot. Got hell from the team for not even attempting a slog.