• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the worst shot you have played in Cricket?

91Jmay

International Coach
Once left a ball from a bloke I can only describe as so slow he could have bowled, ran down the pitch about half way and caught it before it got to me. The end result was me shouldering arms, dragging it onto my foot where it rolled onto off stump.

91Jmay

International Coach
Last ball needed three to win and I was bloody nervous. Tried to calm myself down and decided that I will make room and then just play the ball. The ball was on length on middle and i played a backfoot defensive shot. Got hell from the team for not even attempting a slog.
This is proper EA Cricket 2005 when you got the joystick slightly wrong.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've built my batting reputation around being a reliable blocker who can slog a ball in his arc. It's not pretty, it's very limited, but I don't play lots of bad strokes.

I usually don't get to bat a lot, and most of my dismissals when I do bat tend to be due to being beaten by movement /variable bounce, or miscuing an aggressive stroke. So usually not something I regret.

I do have one dismissal I regret a lot tho. It was in my school's intra-school cricket league. This was in my final year. We had never had a proper cricket league before. The year prior we had a small tournament, and based on the success of that, me and my friends in the senior batch organised the league. It was played in this small area between all the academic buildings. Due to the limitation of space and time I think we were playing just 9 players a side, 15 overs an innings. Or something to that effect.

We had 4 'Houses', each a different color, which we were assigned to by the school arbitrarily and then had to compete for in intra-school events. Basically like Harry Potter except without a sorting hat. I was the captain of my House's team for the league. As luck would have it, our house had no good cricket talent, apart from in the lowest age groups. Some very talented kids there, but there was no way they could compete with the older, senior-heavy teams.

So I took this team of young underdogs under my wing and began coaching them. Literally organizing sessions after school where I could run drills with them. I had to miss the first game of the season, but the boys performed brilliantly and won the first game.

The second game we lost, but mainly down to a couple of seniors stinking it up. I decided to drop them from that point on. They were pissed that I was picking kids over them, but so be it. They were ****.

The third game was against the pre-series favorites. This house had historically sucked at all sports, but this year the school overcompensated, and they were loaded with like 80% of the kids who would have represented our school if we had a cricket team. They had dominated their first two games. Everyone though we would lose.

We lost the toss and were bowling first.

Back then I used to bowl medium pace. This year I had a bit of a Ryan Harris moment, and had suddenly found a few extra yards of pace, making me one of the fastest bowlers in the school. I managed to wheel through my 3 overs for 2 maidens, 1 run, and 1 wicket. The other kids bowled really well. We had restricted them to a very chaseable target - a target I wish I could remember.

Our batsmen went out to chase it down. I hid myself down the order because I felt I could pull of a repair job if needed, and because I wanted to show faith in the kids. So my youngsters go out there and battle against a very strong and experienced bowling attack, and got us closer and closer to the target. But we kept losing wickets.

I went in when the match was in the balance. All these guys, my class mates basically, began chirping at me. I wanted to play the match winning knock here that would take us home.

I started well. Found some runs. Blocked some out. One of their weaker bowlers came on - a bowler I had smashed around quite a bit when we had our pre-game practices - and I sensed an opportunity to hit a few boundaries and take us over the line.

He bowled a dolly of a delivery around offstump. A juicy half volley. My eyes lit up. I wanted to swing it over to the long on boundary, get the easy six. I had smashed these tons before. This was my go to shot. If it's in the arc, it's outta the park.

I swung. I got a feather of an edge. The keeper held on.

I was so distraught. I chucked my bat away as I walked off, and another of the young kids walked in. I was so mad at myself for throwing away the chance to pull of this huge upset, i walked out of the playing area and out in the back, basically moping around upset and cursing myself. Eventually I heard cheers from the ground and the dread set in, so I walked back to present myself and shake hands and be the good role model for the young kids that I was supposed to be.

We had won the match. One of the young guns smacked a bunch of boundaries, and the other one supported him, and they both had taken us both home.

The season ended shortly after. We were the only ones who beat this team. We finished 2nd out of the 4 house teams IIRC, with 2 wins out of 4 games (we lost a nailbiter after this one), way exceeding pre-season expectations. And we had the greatest upset of the series.

And I missed the winning moment because I was too busy moping for myself, and because I had the arrogance to think that my wicket was so important that my side couldn't win without me.

Have always regretted that.
Ok

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
left a ball pitching on middle, moving to off side to see the ball clipping the leg bail.

Stapel

International Regular
I once managed to edge a full toss into my stumps, facing a hat-trick ball.

The bowler was kind enough to buy me an extra beer after the match!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I was batting 9 or 10 and came out when we were battling at 70-7 or 8. Anyway, they had one - just one - man outside the circle, fielding at long on. Everyone else was defending the single. Second ball I faced from the spinner, where did I smack it? Straight down long on's throat. The opposition couldn't believe their luck, although if they had seen me bat before, they should have been expecting it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I can't split two.

One of them was it a rep trial match where each partnership got to face 8 overs each. In the first 5 overs I had only faced about 6 or so balls so I was a little behind the 8-ball but then got a nice ball and edged it which was fair enough. I was annoyed that I had gotten out but I still got to stay in. I wanted to make an impression so two balls later I decided to charge the quick and had an almighty heave which ballooned slowly straight back to the bowler, a real tail ender shot. I didn't get selected.

Another one was against this 'spinner' who's run up was two steps. He completely caught me off guard and the ball had left his hand by the time I looked up. I should have backed away but the ball was so slow and easy to hit that I thought that Id smack it to cow corner for 6 or 4. I miss-hit it completely and lobbed it straight to mid on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oh and number 3. I had just moved cities and had joined a team towards the end of the season. I had said I was an opener who didn't bowl but still they gave me an over and I batted at 8 or 9. First ball, I shouldered arms and the ball hits my pad and the opposition all go up. The umpire (who was a neutral ump) doesn't move. I was amazed at the decision really and ended up making around 40. After that, I opened the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Every leg glance I ever attempted to play resulted in an inside edge onto my groin.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I played plenty of awful shots in my time, but one that always stays with me is a regulation forward defensive shot that I must have played really late. Because it kept going backwards, probably bounced just behind the crease, then as I turned around I saw it bounce up straight into the off stump bail. Didn't even hit a stump! Couldn't have been any more precise in a million attempts.

Nobody else seemed to know what had happened, because I kept getting asked (genuinely) how I'd got bowled when I'd hit it straight out the middle of the bat, which didn't improve my mood much.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its called the Dravid Defense. You play with the bat horizontal basically but with the face of the bat pointing down at the pitch. :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Been out twice trying to pull out of a hook/pull shot, so the bat was stationary and the ball went straight up in the air. That felt stupid.