• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the worst shot you have played in Cricket?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Shri top-edging a 9 year old into his face sounds about right tbh
Still susceptible to it tbh. I never learned to play the sweep or the pull shot the right way and sort of developed a hybrid flat bat shot, which is played across the line where I sightly lean back while also partially crouching. Works well against spinners but the angle at which I play the shot has made a lot of edges hit the side of my neck, shoulder and face repeatedly.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My worst moment came when I was bowling. We used to have matches where there was an even mix of older kids and younger ones (who were generally assumed to be spuds) in both teams. So this particular match is all but won, there's just a couple of tiny kids 4-5 years younger than me left, and a lot of runs to get. We slack off, and they get closer. I bowl the last over, and we're still pretty sure we'll win since there's around 12 runs needed. It somehow comes down to 4 needed off the last ball. The light is rapidly fading. I bowl a length ball and the kid slogs it away for 4, the opposition team celebrate wildly and all my friends in it laugh at me. :(

vcs

Also I managed to parry a catch at the boundary over the rope for 6, and nearly break my thumb in attempting to take it, all at the same time. That was pretty bad.

cnerd123

likes this
My worst moment came when I was bowling. We used to have matches where there was an even mix of older kids and younger ones (who were generally assumed to be spuds) in both teams. So this particular match is all but won, there's just a couple of tiny kids 4-5 years younger than me left, and a lot of runs to get. We slack off, and they get closer. I bowl the last over, and we're still pretty sure we'll win since there's around 12 runs needed. It somehow comes down to 4 needed off the last ball. The light is rapidly fading. I bowl a length ball and the kid slogs it away for 4, the opposition team celebrate wildly and all my friends in it laugh at me. :(
See the secret is to identify the young kids who have talent early on and pick them in your team, so that you are never at the receiving end of their inevitable 'coming of age' performance

Street cricket 101

Shri

Mr. Glass
"Machan enga potaalum adikiraan daa."

- Chennai 600028 last scene.:laugh:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I played so many bad ones I couldn't single one out, but still vividly recall the one I regret most.

I was always desperately keen, but never had much of an eye for the ball, so became a very defensive batsman

When I was 16 I played in a match for the local club and for some reason found the ball easier to hit than normal. I couldn't pierce the field much but batted pretty well for a while and ended up unbeaten on 24.

I had to wait ten years for another day like that to arrive, and on that glorious day at Mythop Road I even hit a couple of fours, decent shots too. That made the oppo bring their quicker men back on, who I felt I could have blocked out all afternoon, but I couldn't get the bastards away.

Finally one of them bowled me a long hop. Normally I'd have just tucked it round the corner and ambled a single but this time, confidence boosted by my earlier success, I decided to pull it to the mid wicket boundary. I didn't make a perfect contact but did hit it pretty well. Sadly for me as I often did I picked out the bloke who could field and a guy I had been at school with took a decent catch down by his bootstraps.

I was disappointed to get out, but quite exhilarated at the same time as for once I had made a contribution, but was totally gutted when I looked at the score book and saw I'd got 24. If only I'd known I'd have taken the single - I played for another 15 years or so after that but never did get a quarter century

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Last ball needed three to win and I was bloody nervous. Tried to calm myself down and decided that I will make room and then just play the ball. The ball was on length on middle and i played a backfoot defensive shot. Got hell from the team for not even attempting a slog.

Good to see Nayan Mongia and Manoj Prabhakar's legacy living on., :p

OverratedSanity

Last ball needed three to win and I was bloody nervous. Tried to calm myself down and decided that I will make room and then just play the ball. The ball was on length on middle and i played a backfoot defensive shot. Got hell from the team for not even attempting a slog.
Hey atleast it wasn't a test match where you could've won by running one more run but you chose not to to protect your average.

**** you Ravi Ashwin.

Kirkut

International Regular
In Indian street cricket we have rules like if the ball bounces once and the fielder takes one handed catch, the batsman is out, and if you hit the ball outside the playing area for a six, you score 6 runs and get out at the same time! In my childhood days I had the tendency to slog everything, I didn't know how to drive the ball at all, which is why I would rarely reach 2 figure scores.

kingkallis

International Coach
In my very first game as an opener I had scored 87. When I was on 87, someone from Pavilion shouted and told me to be careful as I was approaching my 1st ever hundred in 40 over games. Next ball I tried to slog a length ball and got caught at deep midwicket. 100 had started playing on my mind and it costed me my wicket. After 20 years, I still can not forget that stupid shot.

Daemon

**** this thread reminds me of every weekend when I'm back home from the game and showering. As I shampoo my hair and soap my buttcrack, all I can think about is replaying my entire innings (doesn't take long) in my head and how big a six I would've hit if I had known where the ball that got me was going to be pitched EA Cricket style.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Actually bowled really well that day, after that thought he was going to be a real proper off-spinning threat. He was getting rip and grip from a very flat wicket (as the scores bear out). We've always played him quite comfortably since, think his bowling goes in fits and starts.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Had this one while I was playing an inter - village game, I was keeping for my team and got hit by fairly quick delivery on the last over top - left of my left eye, the pain wasn't too much but the socket moved a tiny bit and I'm literally seeing everything in two now at approx. 45 degree angle with a separation of about 1.5 feet.. But since it was the last over and I wanted to bat (and hoped eyes would be normal by then) I stay put and don't tell anyone about it.

I go out to open and the dude bowls a full toss, not your normal full toss mind you, it's one of those ones where the bowler has just started - has no idea about the pitch length and ends up flinging one at head height to the batsman. I am of course still seeing everything in two, fully panicked and try to save myself from the ball coming straight at my face get down and get hit hard on the temple by a chest height ball which would have safely passed If I had done nothing.

So my worst shot wasn't even a shot.