• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar's head-to-head average against bowlers

Chrish

International Debutant
Came across this list compiled by Charles Davis. Bowlers who have dismissed SRT at least few times..

a.png

b.png

c.png

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah not that important IMO.. Nevertheless thought it was interesting stats and would share with everyone.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Are these actual head to head average? Or averages is innings where Tendulkar was dismissed by a given bowler (which is what Cricinfo publishes)? Don't think they have ball by ball record going all the way back to Tendulkar's start of career to calculate the former.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Averages against individual bowlers are generally kind of useless, no?
Agree. You can play out the best bowler in the attack and score off the others and still do the job for the team. For bowlers though, ability to take wickets of top batsmen is important.

Chrish

International Debutant
Are these actual head to head average? Or averages is innings where Tendulkar was dismissed by a given bowler (which is what Cricinfo publishes)? Don't think they have ball by ball record going all the way back to Tendulkar's start of career to calculate the former.
Head-to-head stats.. reckon he complied stats from watching videos when ball by ball record wasn't available

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Since it's by Charles Davis, I'm pretty sure it'll be actual head to head averages.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
i wonder how such precise this data is. Even cricinfo site which is a well known source of getting several indepth stats started tracing head-head
batsman-bowler record from 2000 onwards or so.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Also prominent bowlers Ambrose,Wasim , Waqar & Hadlee against whom Sachin came on top in head-head battles are missing from the list

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Only bowlers who dismissed him at least couple times are included..
yet... can't believe this to be precise data...even cricinfo started tracing head-head from 2000 onwards..then how could this be so accurate? what is the source?

the big bambino

International Captain
If it's Davis it would be hth and accurate. I think he is in the middle of a project to compile stats for every test match. He goes through the score books and recreates every test. He's done the interwar years and finally provided a database for Bradman's hth, which I'd been trying to track down since forever.

This SRT list isn't new and I remember seeing it about five or ten years ago. If I recall correctly he had a lean time against McGrath.

Chrish

International Debutant
SRT vs Warne and SRT vs Mcgrath are two anomalies from the list..

Two complete opposite extremes!

the big bambino

International Captain
I think the best way to play them was to attack Warne and defend McGrath the way India did the former and SA (and to an extent NZ under Fleming) did the latter.

cnerd123

likes this
Averages against individual bowlers are generally kind of useless, no?
define useless

I think they're worth something with context. Can reveal a batsman's preferences in styles of bowling, and a breakdown of how they score the runs against each bowler can reveal which ones they preferred to attack and which ones they just wanted to get off strike to.

the big bambino

International Captain
I still believe you can rely on Davis, and no one else does the sort of stat work he does, but, and to contradict an earlier post , he makes the occasional error. In the Tendu set he didn't count a dismissal by Donald which would take his ave against that bowler down to 34 from memory. Still pretty impressive to be averaging that against someone like Donald.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of all the spinners he played against with a reasonable sample size, the WPNCOS had the best record against him. Rightly so too.