• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar's head-to-head average against bowlers

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing you can give Cronje credit for there getting him out 5 times. Never thought I would say that again about that cheating scumbag.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, I don't think I've seen another player play Steyn so well. Maybe Clarke. But in those two back to back series in 2010, Steyn was bowling at video game levels of brilliance and Tendulkar still managed 4 tons.

vcs

Yeah, I don't think I've seen another player play Steyn so well. Maybe Clarke. But in those two back to back series in 2010, Steyn was bowling at video game levels of brilliance and Tendulkar still managed 4 tons.
The 146 in Cape Town is one of my favourite innings by Sachin. Brilliant cricket all around.

Chrish

International Debutant
169 in Cape Town would be personal favorite..

155 against the same team probably was his most dazzling display of stoke play I can remember (those boundaries at third man!)

He sure did play some of his most memorable knocks against SA..

srbhkshk

International Captain

155 against the same team probably was his most dazzling display of stoke play I can remember (those boundaries at third man!)

Thing about Tendulkar is that his career was so vast, you would end up thinking that he played his "most memorable knocks against X" where X is any team you are focusing on.

vcs

His half-century against Australia in Mumbai 2001 was also memorable for the stroke play.

akilana

International 12th Man
Sachin' head to head vs McGrath is not believable. I remember crincinfo published a numbers game after McGrath's retirement which showed that Sachin averaged 33 against McGrath. Lara's average was similiar to Sachin's.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Crapinfo does not do proper batsman vs bowler figures though.

BTW, speaking of SAchin's knocks, I do think his efforts against Australia and RSA stand out more than his other test knocks. Esp. against RSA it always seemed as if every time he went big it was more of a stroke filled effort, except an amazing defensive (I think solo, as well) effort against Steyn at his best in 2010. For instance, he hardly ever played any stroke filled genius knocks against England or New Zealand. They were the more solid efforts in his career but when it comes to capturing the imagination, his knocks against RSA somehow do stand out. And funnily enough, against Australia, he seemed to have played a number of both types of knocks.

Chrish

International Debutant
Personally don't believe these numbers to be 100% accurate.. Would be impossible to do that for a guy who played 200 tests.

It provides rough guesstimate IMO.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Sachin' head to head vs McGrath is not believable. I remember crincinfo published a numbers game after McGrath's retirement which showed that Sachin averaged 33 against McGrath. Lara's average was similiar to Sachin's.
Sachin might have avg:ed 33 from those inns vs AUS where Mcgrath too was an opponent bowler. This is not difficult to trace out from cricinfo site. But here some 'Charles' guy is seen having head-head record of Sachin vs each bowler. Almost unbelievable.To be frank can't believe it to be true.

vcs

BTW, speaking of SAchin's knocks, I do think his efforts against Australia and RSA stand out more than his other test knocks. Esp. against RSA it always seemed as if every time he went big it was more of a stroke filled effort, except an amazing defensive (I think solo, as well) effort against Steyn at his best in 2010. For instance, he hardly ever played any stroke filled genius knocks against England or New Zealand. They were the more solid efforts in his career but when it comes to capturing the imagination, his knocks against RSA somehow do stand out. And funnily enough, against Australia, he seemed to have played a number of both types of knocks.
His partnership with Azhar in that '96 Cape Town match is one of my favourite childhood memories. Every time Donald strayed on his pads, he'd effortlessly clip it to the square leg boundary. Practised that shot so many times pretending to be Sachin, throwing the ball at the wall and trying to copy it. :laugh:

Chrish

International Debutant
I still believe you can rely on Davis, and no one else does the sort of stat work he does, but, and to contradict an earlier post , he makes the occasional error. In the Tendu set he didn't count a dismissal by Donald which would take his ave against that bowler down to 34 from memory. Still pretty impressive to be averaging that against someone like Donald.
what not Afridi getting out Sachin 3 times in tests as per the list.Can't get more incorrect than this.
Went back and checked.. Under both instances, number of dismissal is correct: 5 and 3 respectively

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Thing about Tendulkar is that his career was so vast, you would end up thinking that he played his "most memorable knocks against X" where X is any team you are focusing on.
Yeh, remarkable to think his career started with Sidhu, Azhurradin, Prabhaker and Kapil; and ended with Pujara, Kohli, Dhoni and Ashwin.

That his career started in the year Australia thrashed England in the 1989 Ashes. That he debuted in the same year as Mark Taylor and Mike Atherton.

And that he's still only 43 years old.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeh, remarkable to think his career started with Sidhu, Azhurradin, Prabhaker and Kapil; and ended with Pujara, Kohli, Dhoni and Ashwin.

That his career started in the year Australia thrashed England in the 1989 Ashes. That he debuted in the same year as Mark Taylor and Mike Atherton.

And that he's still only 43 years old.
In his debut series he played against Imran who debuted in 1971. He also debuted when all the 4 great all rounders and Viv were playing.

the big bambino

International Captain
Went back and checked.. Under both instances, number of dismissal is correct: 5 and 3 respectively
That's true. I posted before looking. Davis has updated his records id say.

I saw this list posted on another cricket site years ago. It listed four dismissals of Tendu by Donald. I remember finding the error on cricket archive, though not the reason for checking, and posting what I found. It didn't make me think he couldn't be trusted though. He has his own website and it's very extensive. You can confidently rely that he reviewed all of SRTs innings compiling this list.

Kirkut

International Regular
define useless

I think they're worth something with context. Can reveal a batsman's preferences in styles of bowling, and a breakdown of how they score the runs against each bowler can reveal which ones they preferred to attack and which ones they just wanted to get off strike to.
Yes, if you see those numbers in OP his poor record against Broad, Anderson and Mcgrath indicates that he's vulnerable to ball coming back into him.

Kirkut

International Regular
That average of 33 is probably his combined performances in ODIs and Tests vs Mcgrath.

Tendulkar comes from traditional Bombay school of batsmanship - strong backfoot players and playing shots with a straight bat. What separates him from the likes of Gavaskar, Manjrekar or Rahane is that he was more free flowing in his strokeplay. It's probably because of this why he relishes bouncier pitches more than soft pitches of England.