• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team Rankings in 2023 - Prediction & Reflection

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gaze into the hazy contours of your mind and from temporal shadows yonder grab those team rankings from the year 2023, right after the end of the World Cup, which is to be hosted in India.

Will Afghanistan pip one of the big boys to the top 8 in the ODI rankings? Will West Indies be above Bangladesh in the test rankings? Will Pakistan surprise everyone? Pleasantly or otherwise? Will NZ reach the top for the first time ever in tests?

Questions galore. Predict and reflect.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tests

Aus
SA
India
Eng
NZ
Pak
SL
Bangers
WI
Zim

ODI

India
SL
Aus
Bangers
Eng
NZ
SA
WI
Pak
Ghans
Zim

Tests more based on historical sort of strength than anything in particular. Default setting in history is Australia at or near the top so it's a bit of a cop out. With ODIs, I think Bangladesh will continue to improve and with he WC being on the SC I expect them to perform with greater consistency. SL seem to always be there or thereabouts come WC time too, regardless of how their side looks pn paper.

Sadly can't see much of an improve for the WI, regardless of young talent they might have coming through. Their system just seems totally broken, and even if they fix it in say the next 2-3 years I don't think the fruits of that will have ripened by as early as six years from now.

Flem274*

123/5
I'll stick my neck out with a mad prediction and predict Afghanistan will be in the top 8 across odis and tests by then, not because someone gets bad (though that may well happen) but because they accelerate out of the blocks

Burgey

Do you think it likely they'll get test status by then? If they do, I presume they'll have to share the UAE for their home games, as I can't see too many countries putting their hands up to bat first on day one in Kandihar.

Daemon

Do you think it likely they'll get test status by then? If they do, I presume they'll have to share the UAE for their home games, as I can't see too many countries putting their hands up to bat first on day one in Kandihar.
Their adopted home ground has been in Uttar Pradesh, India for a while now. They played an entire series against Ireland there just recently.

OverratedSanity

Australia
South Africa
India
Pakistan
England
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Afghanistan
Zimbabwe

srbhkshk

International Captain
Australia
South Africa
India
Pakistan
England
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Afghanistan
Zimbabwe
Almost the Default order in which I have perceived the nations to be 2000 onwards, exception is Bangladesh but the position above WI and SL is deserved with their progress. India could pip SA or Aus if they find 2 good fast bowlers but we probably won't so **** that.

Gnske

Tests

Aus
SA
India
Eng
NZ
Pak
SL
Bangers
WI
Zim

ODI

India
SL
Aus
Bangers
Eng
NZ
SA
WI
Pak
Ghans
Zim

Tests more based on historical sort of strength than anything in particular. Default setting in history is Australia at or near the top so it's a bit of a cop out. With ODIs, I think Bangladesh will continue to improve and with he WC being on the SC I expect them to perform with greater consistency. SL seem to always be there or thereabouts come WC time too, regardless of how their side looks pn paper.

Sadly can't see much of an improve for the WI, regardless of young talent they might have coming through. Their system just seems totally broken, and even if they fix it in say the next 2-3 years I don't think the fruits of that will have ripened by as early as six years from now.
Can get behind most of that test prediction, think Bangers will exceed SL before 2023 though. Also think India/Aus will be interchangeable at 1/2, would tend towards India being no.1 at that point in time.

My ODI prediction is

India
Aus
Eng
SA
Bangers
Pak
NZ
WI
Afghan
Zim/Ireland

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
barring slipping to second occasionally due to a scheduling anomaly and then getting straight back up, india stay at the top until early 2020 after journeying in to the house of the warner and getting bludgeoned on australia's roads 4-0

australia however don't ascend to the top instead ascending to second as india drop to fourth, south africa to third and england take a big jump after they wail on weak touring teams in the previous home summer

new zealand take the poms 1-1 in february and australia take first after a carribean holiday, being challenged though not beaten by a plucky west indies that they still beat 3-0 in a 4 test series with a scorecard not indicative of the closeness of the tests. pakistan clash with india at least in the desert sands and beat them 3-1, but collapse in spectacular fashion to lose to fellow -stan afghanistan in the following series, afrghanistan getting their first series win against not zimbo or bangers.

the summer of 2020 sees saffers doing over sri lanka way up in the mountains of the highveld and taking first after new zealand play spoiler in a tour of the big brother, while in a shocking twist of events sri lanka draw with india in their own back yard and england pull one over bangladesh in what proves to be the peak of english spin bowling for the next couple of years

pakistan and the west indies duke it out in the sun in 2021 and pakistan take the chocolates, and aus take south africa in south africa to reclaim first and the mace for most of the year. zimbabwe take a trip to bangladesh and come out with nothing but return home to take afghanistan, who then in turn produce two big roads to draw a series nil all with india. new zealand and sri lanka meet again but in sri lanka as the boys from colombo spin a web around new zealand with the aid of bowling coach rangana herath, snuffing out any hopes of a nz rise to upper echelons of test cricket. england and the aussies duel for the urn and stuart broad taking fourteen australian wickets in one innings with swing bowling gives him the urn in his farewell series

south africa and india meet in jo'burg where the retiring big vern leaves on a high, and passes the world's best bowler torch to none other than mitch santner, who rose from the dead after that sri lanka tour to ruin india's chances of reclaiming the mace in late 2021. australia journey to the desert and lose a one off to afghanistan and the series to pakistan, but return to sri lanka and bury their demons in a two test series. their summer is a showdown against the west indies which they win, which extends the lead on the mace they nearly lost to england. south africa then finish their summer by pounding bangladesh, who draw a two test series with pakistan.

2022 starts with a west indian upset in new zealand before marching on to early summer series between england and india, and pak and sri lanka - both of those are comfortably won by the home teams, which fillets any hope india had of taking the mace but puts england right up in contention for the gong. australia take the kiwis in their early summer and south africa take afghanistan, zimbabwe, and draw with pak in the uae to put themselves in contention. england lose their late summer series to pakistan which knocks them out of contention for first

south africa and australia meet in the sydney sun for a decider in the currently one all four test series - they drew in perth - and needing an ace to take the mace they recall paul adams from his failing financial consulting start up to play the role of second spinner. he takes a double hat trick that includes the elder statesmen smith missing a half tracker that shoots low, which leads the australian media to claim india doctored pitches to behave unnaturally. adams and the south africans ride of in to the sunset as india win a long return series against england which leaves us with

SA
Aus
Ind
Eng
Pak
NZ
SL
WI
Ban
Afg
Zim

i can not wait for how wrong this will be

Tec15

First Class Debutant
South Africa
Australia
Pakistan
England
Bangladesh
India
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
West Indies
Afghanistan
Zimbabwe

Burner

International Regular
Bangladesh above Ind, NZ and SL ?! Would have to be quite the turn around if you are talking about tests.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Hard to predict rankings as it has largely to do with cricket schedules. Since, India, Australia and England play the most test cricket, expect India and Australia to be around the top and England around mid tier especially in a Post Anderson/Cook era.

Afghanistan should be in top 8 teams and should be around the same level or thereabouts as Pak/Sri/WI/BD.

South Africa should be somewhere in the mid tiers of Test level simply because their batting, in a post AB/Amla era is notches below India/Australia and without Steyn, Rabada might be overworked.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, rankings are a real crapshoot, and I think they're fairly useless
given they take no account of home advantage.

With that in mind:

India
Australia
South Africa
New Zealand
England
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
West Indies

morgieb

I'm probably dead wrong but:

Australia
India
England
South Africa
Bangladesh
Pakistan
New Zealand
West Indies
Sri Lanka
Afghanistan
Zimbabwe

Australia look the best placed if we can find a decent keeper. Our batting lineup is still young-ish (no-one over the age of 30) and there's some really promising young bats coming through too. Add the potential that the seam attack has

India also look well placed, again have a very good batting lineup and some quality bowling. Could easily be #1 but by that point I think Ashwin will be close to retirement, as might a couple of their batsmen and Jadeja. Balance might also be an issue, especially away from home.

England's bowling could be an issue, but I really like the upside of their batting lineup. South Africa will probably be on the decline at that point; they'll lose a lot of their current side to retirement and I worry that the political influence that the side has will cause some key defections amongst youngsters. I still have them 4th, but not that far ahead of the rest of the pack.

Bangladesh should be good by that point, the bowling attack has a lot of potential and there appears to be some quality coming through. Won't really lose anyone to retirement either. Neither New Zealand or Pakistan look really promising by that point, I'm just not sold on their star talent and a number of key players will be either retired or nearing it for both teams.

West Indies should be good on paper by that point but probably won't be in practice, their board is just a mess. Meanwhile Sri Lanka I think will regress, I just don't think they have the resources to regenerate effectively.

I'm guessing they'll give Test status to Afghanistan, who will at least be better than Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe might be Kenya-esque at that point.

Shady Slim

International Coach
tbf zimbos aren't helped by the fact that nobody ever wants to play tests with them

they'd be a huge beneficiary of the test championship bizzo

harsh.ag

Will NZ reach the world number 1 ranking in tests (for the first ever time) at any point in the period?