• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has been the MVP in the IPL over the last 10 years?

srbhkshk

International Captain
Tendulkar was never really good, tbh. He was basically the meh Kohli of till around 2014 throughout for MI. Had some good knocks and had some average ones. Although, I think in season 1, Jayasuriya and Sachin were one dream pair who did hold up to at least some of the expectations.
He was iirc good in season 1 and player of the tournament in season 3, basically had a half century in every single match and ok in other seasons, never particularly bad.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I recall Tendulkar doing well in nearly every game he played in one of the seasons. Him and Rayudu got MI pretty far iirc.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
If you are looking for sheer consistency then it has to be Raina, didn't he hold the record for scoring at least 400+ runs in almost every season until a few years ago?

Gayle has had a few seasons where his peak has been ridiculous, but I don't remember Gayle being any good until he joined RCB.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Gayle has 3563 IPL runs at an average of 42.92, with a S/R of 152.98.

6th in runs
Highest average of anyone in the top 50 for runs (Shaun Marsh the only other player on the list who averages over 40, and does it at a rate of 20 runs less per 100 balls).
2nd highest S/R of anyone in the top 50 (Sehwag was 155.44).
Most hundreds (5) of the aforementioned 50, Kohli has 4 and AdV has 3.
His 262 sixes hit is the most by any player by a margin 98 (Rohit has 164).

I'd say Gayle has a very strong case.

Cricketinsights

Cricket Spectator
Thanks everyone. We will be recording the video late in the week and have it up next week. As some of the responses here were excellent we will definitely be using some of them. Thanks!

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Just numbers is fine but if you wanna look at consistency over all 10 seasons, as I said, it is Raina easily.
I wouldn't say it's easily, Gayle's only had 3 years where he wasn't very good and 2 of them were the first 2 seasons of the competition. I don't necessarily disagree with Raina being the 10yr MVP but it's closer than you'd make it seem.

Cricketinsights

Cricket Spectator
Who has been the MVP in the IPL over the last 10 years? - Answering your feedback

We went through the comments. Thanks to all those who replied. If your name is here we either addressed your comment or featured it :

kaiokenx4, harsh.ag, Rednarutopokemango, giants888, HonestBharani, MeForSure, Daemon and srbhkshk.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XdYOGCira8

Great feedback! Thanks again!

Cheers,
Dan (Cricketinsights)

vcs

We're famous, guys.

Made it to the YouTube video description section. World-wide popularity and money awaits!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wouldn't say it's easily, Gayle's only had 3 years where he wasn't very good and 2 of them were the first 2 seasons of the competition. I don't necessarily disagree with Raina being the 10yr MVP but it's closer than you'd make it seem.

Well, I agree about the amazing impact guys like Gayle and Watson have had over a few of the 10 seasons but even if you are looking at trophy counts, CSK still has them beat. I would say Raina easily over the first 8 years and considering all 10, you are right, it is closer between them now (esp. if the person doing the rating considers match-winning impact as > consistency) but I would still say Raina is ahead by a clear enough margin. And I am someone who does feel over a period of time, the number of match winning performances count more than just consistency.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd probably make the case that "MVP" and "best player" aren't quite the same thing though, and Raina not having to take up an overseas slot has made him pretty clearly more valuable given their actual contributions were similar.

Last edited:

Daemon

Well he's not wrong to say that there's a difference between a best player and a multi purpose van