• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2017/18

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Janneman Malan has good stats for a semi amateur player, I'm suprised he's not being mentioned like others. Has anyone seen him bat?

SeamUp

International Coach
Janneman Malan has good stats for a semi amateur player, I'm suprised he's not being mentioned like others. Has anyone seen him bat?
Looks a limited overs player to me. Very loose and a lover of hitting medium pace is my feeling. Remember him looking limited in Africa Cup when up against franchise bowlers.

Rickelton, Ackerman and Malan obviously got chance to impress for Lions and Rickelton took his chances more. Resulted in Ackerman going to Durban and wonder if Malan may have to leave too.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Richardt Frenz is also piling on runs for North-West, but there's no space for him either... Also have no idea if he's really all that; haven't seen him bat.

SeamUp

International Coach

Nandre Burger there at 1.08.
Really glad to see him in the SA Academy for the winter coming up. Still only 22. Big, strong and left-arm quick. To balance out Ngidi and KG moving forward a skiddy option & a left-arm option would be ideal.

Yet to play franchise cricket. But with the Lions struggling we may see Rickelton, Burger get a go for senior players Cook/Viljoen if they can't qualify anymore.

Last edited:

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Still no wins for Knights! That's a bit dire. Last season, de Lange, du Preez, van Schalkwyk and Budaza were consistently destructive. Du preez retired, and the other three have had little penetration this season. McLaren's return season has been similarly anaemic. Only Olivier has had any consistent impact (his only game the previous season was 10 overs 1 for 67). How does their seam attack reverse polarity like that?

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Really glad to see him in the SA Academy for the winter coming up. Still only 22. Big, strong and left-arm quick. To balance out Ngidi and KG moving forward a skiddy option & a left-arm option would be ideal.

Yet to play franchise cricket. But with the Lions struggling we may see Rickelton, Burger get a go for senior players Cook/Viljoen if they can't qualify anymore.
Wow a left armer. Exciting times ahead. I'm wondering what's happened to Carmi Le Roux.

Stefan9

International Debutant
So when did Robbie Frylinck learn to keep wicket? I see he is in one of the wicket keeping batches for saturday/Sunday's ipl auction.

Pretty much every SA cricketer worth mention is there. Only name I don't seem to find on the list is bavuma. All the test squad ( including steyn) are up along with the last odI squad with Mulder and Andile.

List is dominated by India, Aus and SA players.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Regarding Steyn, I definitely think it would be beneficial for him to play some early season County Cricket, and I think that's something he would want. Obviously there would be no shortage of potential suitors, and the opportunity to bowl day-in day-out and get some hard overs into his body will be great.

He has the connection with Glamorgan, so that could be an option for sure. Other counties I feel would be especially interested would be Notts (no Pattinson maybe?) and Worcs (with their crop of young bowlers)

SeamUp

International Coach
Really glad Markram didn't sign for anyone in the IPL. Hoping he gets a county contract instead.

Ngidi got, but I have mixed feelings on it. Sort of was hoping he would follow KG in rather going County cricket to sharpen his longer version game up and round himself more as a person.

Saffers signed up in IPL

CSK
Faf Du Plessis, Lungi Ngidi
DD
Chris Morris, Kagiso Rabada
KXI
Dave Miller
KKR
Cameron Delport
MI
JP Duminy
RCB
Quinton de Kock, AB de Villiers

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
MODC SFs Tuesday & Wednesday.

Titans v Warriors SF tomorrow

TITANS

Does Elgar play ? Probably not.

Davids
De Zorzi
Moonsamy
Klaasen
Kuhn
Behardien
A.Morkel
Wiese/C.Bosch
Von Berg
Mothoa/Siboto
Dala

WARRIORS

Cloete
Ngoepe
Smuts
Vallie
Ackermann
Jonker
Fortuin
Magala
Birch
Gqamane
Nortje

Cobras v Dolphins

Cobras lose Duminy & Dolphins Zondo which is pretty massive for them. Parnell injured. Maybe he is back ? Assuming Levi is fit probably bring him in and shift Hamza down to 4.

Does Philander play ? Probably not.

COBRAS
Malan
Levi
Khomari
Hamza
Mgijima
Verreynne
Galiem
Linde
Kleinveldt
Paterson
Nabe

DOLPHINS
Erwee
Van wyk
Van Jaarsveld
Vilas
Muthusamy
Makhanya
Frylinck
Maharaj
Subrayen
Maposa
Shezi

SeamUp

International Coach
Kleinveldt to take over the captaincy of Cobras from Duminy

Titans v Warriors preview

Great to see Dean Elgar making a quick turn around from the test and available for Titans selection. Top cricketer and top individual. Boucher has some sage words on him.

Multiply Titans coach Mark Boucher is wary of the scrapping Warriors ahead of their Momentum One-Day Cup semifinal at SuperSport Park in Centurion on Tuesday.
The match is the first of the two play-off games, with the winners to face either the World Sport Betting Cape Cobras or the Hollywoodbets Dolphins, who meet in Cape Town on Wednesday, in the final on Friday.

The Titans are defending champions and favourites to retain a title they have claimed in three out of the last four campaigns.

They have been relentless in white-ball cricket and also have a hat-trick of RAM SLAM T20 Challenge crowns behind them, but coach Boucher is not taking anything for granted.

“The Warriors are a scrapping team and they continuously get to semifinals and finals,” he said.

“We have to show them the respect they deserve for that and the way they play cricket as well.

“It’s going to boil down again to who holds their nerve the longest and who can perform their skills better on that day.”

The Titans ended the regular season as the top side, with the Warriors squeezing through in fourth. Position means little, according to the home coach.

“It’s been a long, jam-packed series, but it all boils down to taking it one game at a time now,” he explained. “I know there’s quite a bit of rain around and hopefully that stays away, but we’re focussed on what we need to do, so it’s all systems go for us really.”

The hosts also face some tough selection headaches after the recent return from injury of Henry Davids and Junior Dala.

Dean Elgar, fresh from his heroic innings for the Standard Bank Proteas against India in the third test in Johannesburg, has also been drafted in.

“A lot of people look at Dean and think he’s just a test player, but I think if they look at his one-day stats, they’re very, very impressive,” Boucher added.

“We have some tough selection decisions to make but the guys do understand now that it’s the knockout stage.

“We’ve just got to somehow put out the strongest team who we feel on the day can do the job for us.”

Warriors coach Rivash Gobind does not have too many new selection problems, with his squad mainly the same one he has worked with for the bulk of the season.

The Eastern Cape franchise have come up against the Titans numerous times in the play-offs over the past two seasons. In fact, they have been denied three out of three times - two finals and one semifinal – losing all of them.

There is a sense that something has to turn for the visitors, but Gobind is not counting on it.

“I don’t think it’s an attitude you can go into a game with hoping that one will turn for you,” he said. “We understand they’re a really good team and we’re going to try and play our best game of cricket.

“We have our plans in place and we’re pretty confident that we’ll be in a good position if we can execute that come the end of 100 overs.”

The Warriors boss also paid tribute to the Titans, saying they were an example for everyone to follow.

“They’re an example for every franchise in the country and it’s great as South Africans that we have one of the strongest domestic teams in the world basically. You want to play against the best and that’s what the Titans are.”
The Titans squad is: Albie Morkel (capt), Farhaan Behardien, Junior Dala, Henry Davids, Tony de Zorzi, Dean Elgar, Heinrich Klaasen, Heino Kuhn, Rivaldo Moonsamy, Alfred Mothoa, Malusi Siboto, Shaun von Berg, David Wiese.

The Warriors squad is: Jon-Jon Smuts (capt), Gihahn Cloete, Edward Moore, Clyde Fortuin, Lesiba Ngoepe, Christiaan Jonker, Colin Ackermann, Sisanda Magala, Andrew Birch, Lutho Sipamla, Ayabulela Gqamane, Anrich Nortje, Yaseen Vallie.

Marius

International Debutant
The Cricinfo site is awful.

Nowhere on the landing page is there a link to today's semi, even though I'm on the 'African' version. You have to go into the dedicated Momentum Cup page to find the commentary and score.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
The Cricinfo site is awful.

Nowhere on the landing page is there a link to today's semi, even though I'm on the 'African' version. You have to go into the dedicated Momentum Cup page to find the commentary and score.
Yup - though you can also get there by dropping the Top events combo box on the top-left. It took me a while to figure that out.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Well done. Though being 4th out of 6 and still qualifying for knock-outs makes it feel a little cheap. Titans missing Shamsi and having a rare bad day with the bat (credit to Gqamane and Nortje though...)

SeamUp

International Coach
Warriors , always punching......

Great win that. You probably still had to make the Titans favourites but I would easily say the Warriors seam attack as a group was way better than the Titans.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just going to put these here for referencing.

Breetzke and van Tonder's 100s.

https://twitter.com/cricketworldcup/status/957199012649553920

https://twitter.com/cricketworldcup/status/957229223495651329

Also it will be there last game for the u19s tonight.

���� After centuries today, Matthew Breetzke and Raynard van Tonder move into the top three youth ODI run-scorers for @OfficialCSA.

1. Quinton de Kock 1409 (30 inn)
2. Matthew Breetzke 1017 (24 inn)
3. Raynard van Tonder 1015 (25 inn)

Very high praise indeed for 3 SA u19 players Breetzke, van Tonder and Coetzee by Alan Wilkins.

Cricket World Cup

Verified account

@cricketworldcup
Matthew Breetzke and Gerald Coetzee were two South Africa #FutureStars that helped construct their defeat of New Zealand to reach today's 5th place play-off - Alan Wilkins delves into their game #U19CWC #SAvBAN

https://twitter.com/cricketworldcup/status/958406978795028480

I still think Pillay will be worth watching. Makwetu definitely a potential middle-order finisher for ODI cricket too.

SeamUp

International Coach
In the next couple of years for the next u19 cycle there is supposedly quite a few youth tests scheduled.

From the u19 WC squad the following will be eligible for next year but not the u19 WC in SA in 2020.

Andie Mokgakane
Fraser Jones
Thando Ntini

Suspect a few like the above to be selected like Jacob Miltz , Sinethemba Qeshile, Matthew Montgomery that stand out outside the squad.

Those eligible for the 2020 u19 WC

Gerald Coetzee
Kgaudise Molefe

More interested in these possibles :

Batsman

Ruan Terblanche (CSA u15 & u17 poty last 2 years & suited to longer version cricket)
Jono Bird (Best 16 yo bat at Cubs week & looks a dynamic limited overs bat)
Daniel Smith. Fifteen-year-old stars for SACS 1st XI

All-rounders/seamers

Tiaan van Vuuren
Mondli Khumalo
Achille Cloete (strike-bowler)
Michael Booth (Zimbabwe-born strike bowler)

Last edited: