Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: South Africa off-season 2017

International Vice-Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Why CSA don't want to increase the franchise teams.

South Africa cricket | Ken Borland
    But now we want to grow the base and what we now call semi-professional, we want to make that professional.
    This would be so good for SA cricket if they spend money on players at provincial level and make it professional at that level; even if it is only for 5-7 of the best players in each provincial team...

I can forgive them for not creating an extra franchise if this is the long term plan.
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    This would be so good for SA cricket if they spend money on players at provincial level and make it professional at that level; even if it is only for 5-7 of the best players in each provincial team...

I can forgive them for not creating an extra franchise if this is the long term plan.
    It sounds nice in theory but reality says enough players won't be looked after in the strongest environment already made weaker in recent seasons.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

Eldred Hawken, Alfred Mothoa, Rivaldo Moonsamy and Tony de Zorzi have each signed their first professional contracts.

Alfred Mothoa, Eldred Hawken, Rivaldo Moonsamy and Tony de Zorzi have each signed their first professional contracts with the Multiply Titans, committing themselves to the Franchise until the conclusion of the 2017/18 season.

The Northerns quartet have signed one-year deals after impressing in a season where the senior side won the CSA Provincial One-Day Challenge and finished joint Sunfoil Three-Day Cup winners with Free State.

Pace duo Mothoa and Hawken, both 27 and mainstays in the Northerns senior side since 2013, have progressed to the Franchise side, making their debuts across the four-day and 50-over formats.

Mothoa, a home-grown player from Hammanskraal, made his Sunfoil Series debut in the final match of the season, returning 1-26 and 3-57 as Titans secured a four-wicket win against the Warriors. Mothoa enjoyed a personal best season with the red ball, taking 24 first-class wickets at an average of 17.62 in the three-day competition.

With his ability to strike with the new ball, Hawken’s 21 List A wickets include debut figures of 3 for 40 against the bizhub Highveld Lions in the Momentum One Day Cup in February. Having played for the Titans in the longer format, the right-armer has garnered 111 first-class wickets at an average of 20.12 in a combination of Northerns and Titans matches.

Multiply Titans assistant coach Mandla Mashimbyi believes the Franchise is in a good place with the current squad.

“Alfred is a good example of someone who puts in the work. For the last four years he’s been grafting and trying to break into the professional side and it is great to see him put ink on paper for the Multiply Titans - I’m really happy for him.

“When he played for the Titans - we gave him a simple mandate to go out and take wickets - and he went out and did it with flying colours,” said Mashimbyi.

“Eldred is an X-factor. He brings pace and can bat and is a highly talented cricketer. He is richly deserving of his contract because of the performances that he’s put in with the amateurs in the last three years.”

“It shows the resilience that the guys have got - they could have easily said no I’ve had enough I’ll go and try somewhere else. But, because of the structures and the environment we have within our union, players are willing to stay and bid their time until the opportunity presents itself.”

De Zorzi and Moonsamy, both South Africa Under 19 international batsmen, impressed with a series of standout performances for Northerns.

Although only 19 years of age, the former enjoyed a breakthrough season which saw the left-hander make his Franchise debut in both the four-day and 50-over competitions last season. In his first year with Northerns, de Zorzi averaged 79.20 in the Sunfoil Three-Day Cup, amassing 396 runs, including two hundreds and one fifty.

Moonsamy, meanwhile emerged form the amateur side to make his limited-overs debut in the opening match of the Momentum One Day Cup against the Hollywoodbets Dolphins, where he scored 68 off just 46 balls. Batting in the middle-order, the wicketkeeper finished Northerns’ leading run-scorer in the three-day competition, hitting 546 runs at an average of 49.63.

“Tony and Rivaldo are young, energetic and wanting to learn all the time and we’re looking at them as the next crop for Titans cricket - and they’ve given us more than we actually expected. Both have shown they are capable batsman in first-class cricket.”

Multiply Titans have also signed Andrea Agathangelou from the BuildNat Cape Cobras, on a one-year contract. A right-handed batsman, with the ability to bowl spin, the 27-year-old will bring with him overseas experience, having previously played English County Cricket for Lancashire and Leicestershire.

The Rustenburg-born player has scored 3484 first-class runs at average of 35.19, including a highest score of 199 not out.

Elsewhere, Tabraiz Shamsi and Chris Morris, who were rewarded first time national contracts in March, complete the eight South African Internationals who have committed themselves to the Franchise.

The full list of Multiply Titans contracted players are:
    Malusi Siboto

Alfred Mothoa

Heino Kuhn

Lungi Ngidi

Henry Davids

David Wiese

Eldred Hawken

Grant Thomson

Shaun von Berg

Heinrich Klaasen

Junior Dala

Albie Morkel

Aiden Markram

Rivaldo Moonsamy

Rowan Richards

Jonathan Vandiar

Tony de Zorzi

Andrea Agathangelou

CSA Contracts:
    AB de Villiers

Morné Morkel

Dean Elgar

Quinton de Kock

Farhaan Behardien

Chris Morris

Tabraiz Shamsi

Faf du Plessis

Afriforum taking CSA and other SA sporting bodies to court because of quotas.

http://www.sacricketmag.com/quota-system/
    Last edited by SeamUp; 03-05-2017 at 08:30 AM.

CLUB CHAMPS on the go at the moment.

Champions from each regional franchise is there. Basically all universities these days. I would probably say only Cape Town and Durban have clubs as the strongest teams but UCT/UWC are competitive in Cape Town. Old Eds used to be the powerhouses in Joburg but UJ very much the power there now but were beaten by Pukke in the Lions final.

COBRAS : Stellenbosch University (Maties) - Vasconcelos, Simmonds, Glover + other Boland players Gafieldien, Mehl, Botha
    WARRIORS : University of Fort Hare - Nqolo of Warriors
    DOLPHINS : Crusaders - no one really of note
    KNIGHTS : University of Free State (Kovsies) - Du Plooy , van Tonder, Whitehead
    LIONS : University of Potch (Pukke) - J.Malan, A.Malan, Lubbe, Ackerman (North West team basically)
    TITANS : University of Pretoria (Tuks) - Hermann, de Zorzi, H. Klaasen, Kaber , van Buuren, de Swardt, M.Pretorius, Trumpelmann (lot of Northerns boys plus SA 'A' Klaasen)
    Leading run-scorers and wicket-takers

HIGHVELD LIONS 2017/18 CONTRACTED PLAYERS

CSA Contracted :
    Stephen Cook, Aaron Phnagiso, Kagiso Rabada. (Out Temba Bavuma after losing de Kock and Morris to name but 2 in recent seasons

In : Omphile Ramela, Yaseen Valli, Craig Alexander, Beuran Hendricks , Carmi Le Roux
    Out : Devon Conway, Yasser Cook, Eddie Leie (looking like Warriors/Knights?), Matt McGillivray, Sean Jamison

BATSMEN

Reeza HENDRICKS
    Rassie VAN DER DUSSEN
    Omphile RAMELA
    Dominic HENDRICKS
    Nicky VAN DEN BERGH
    Wihan LUBBE
    Yaseen VALLI

KEEPER

Mangaliso MOSEHLE

ALL-ROUNDERS

Dwaine PRETORIUS
    Wiaan MULDER
    Nono PONGOLO

SPINNER

Bjorn FORTUIN

SEAMERS

Hardus VILJOEN
    Beuran HENDRICKS
    Craig ALEXANDER
    Aya MYOLI
    Carmi LE ROUX

The Highveld Lions have announced the names of 17 players who have been given annual contracts with the franchise for the 2017/18 season.

There are five newcomers added to the roster eager to fight for glory in Johannesburg and Potchefstroom during the upcoming season in Omphile Ramela, Craig Alexander, Carmi le Roux, Yaseen Valli and Beuran Hendricks.

Hendricks, who had a stellar loan campaign at the Lions, has now swapped the Cape Cobras for the Highveld on a permanent basis.

He was the leading wicket-taker in the Momentum One Day Cup competition with 14 scalps for the franchise which was a continuation of the progress Hendricks showed in the Sunfoil Series when he claimed his maiden five-wicket haul for his new franchise in the final game of the season against the Knights.

Omphile Ramela, who hails from Soweto, and was schooled at St John's College in Johannesburg, made his first-class debut for Gauteng back in December 2007. The acquisition of Ramela is a major coup and adds experience to the young and talented Lions roster. Craig Alexander has also returned to the Bullring.

"I am proud of the retention of the majority of our more senior players in the likes of Rassie (van der Dussen), Dwaine (Pretorius) and Dominic (Hendricks) and I am confident that the foundation is there for us to build an incredible coming season. We are happy to have Omphile return home to continue building his cricket career," said Highveld Lions Chairman, Oupa Nkagisang.

"The Lions have supported Temba (Bavuma) since his school cricket days through our various structures and have taken great pride in the success that he has achieved. Although we would have loved for him to stay at the Lions, we respect his decision to go back to his roots and know that he will be a great asset wherever he chooses to play.

"We will continue to support him throughout his career and are grateful for the role that he has played in our team environment both on the field and off, especially the mentorship role he played for our younger players."

24-year-old left-arm fast bowler Carmi le Roux, who has been part of Gauteng Cricket since a junior, made his maiden franchise debut for the Lions this past season.

Fellow 21-year-old and King Edward VII High School old boy and former South Africa Under-19 captain, Yaseen Valli, has also been awarded a contract.

Think Ryan Rickelton (Gauteng) & Janneman Malan/Marques Ackerman (North West) should have been contracted for next season but surely it's only a matter of time they get their chance in franchise cricket.

Gauteng look to have a couple of middle order finishers coming through in Farhaan Sayanvala and Muhammed Mayet.

Gauteng lost Grant Roelofsen and Keith Dudgeon to KZN cricket.

Simon Harmer extends contract at Essex by 2 years till 2019 and sees his future in England.

Simon Harmer has signed a two-year contract extension with Essex, which will keep him there until the end of 2019.

According to the club’s official website, the Proteas spinner has fitted into the club seamlessly, both on and off the pitch since his arrival in March, so both parties had no hesitation in extending the 28-year-old’s contract.

Impressing with both disciplines in the County Championship, Harmer has taken nine wickets and helped saved two draws against Lancashire and Middlesex with the bat.

Chris Silverwood, Essex Cricket Head Coach, is thrilled to see Harmer extend his contract and said: ‘His capabilities with bat and ball are there for all to see, and he has also been an excellent influence on our younger players, passing on his experience.

‘Hopefully, as the pitches get harder and drier across the course of the summer, we will see Simon come to the fore and make match-winning contributions regularly.’

All-rounder Harmer did not have to think twice about signing a new contract and added: ‘Ever since I linked up with the squad in Dubai, everything has been great. Everyone at the club has made me feel welcome, so I had no hesitation in committing my future to Essex.

‘I see my long-term future in England, and I can’t envisage a better place to do it than here in Chelmsford.’

- See more at: Harmer confirms long-term stay in England

Eddie Leie will join the Knights.

The last 3 squads aren't out but it looks fairly easy.

DOLPHINS

CSA Contracted : Andile PHEHLUKWAYO, Keshav MAHARAJ, Imran TAHIR
    Batsmen : Sarel ERWEE, Vaughn VAN JAARSVELD, Cameron DELPORT, Khaya ZONDO, Cody CHETTY, Senuran MUTHUSAMY, Sibonelo MAKHANYA
    Keepers : Morne VAN WYK, Dane VILAS
    All-rounders : Robbie FRYLINCK, Calvin SAVAGE
    Spinners : Prenelan SUBRAYEN, Kyle NIPPER
    Seamers : Daryn DUPAVILLON, Rabian ENGELBRECHT, Mthokozisi SHEZI, Lwandiswa ZUMA
    Up-and-comers not SA u19 currently : Grant ROELOFSEN, Keith DUDGEON, Eathan BOSCH

KNIGHTS

CSA Contracted : Dave MILLER
    Batsmen : Grant MOKOENA, Luthando MNYANDA, Rilee ROSSOUW, Theunis DE BRUYN, Pite VAN BILJON, Keegan PETERSEN, Patrick KRUGER, Leus DU PLOOY
    Keeper : Rudi SECOND
    Spinners : Eddie LEIE , Werner COETSEE
    Seamers : Marchant DE LANGE, Duanne OLIVIER, Mbulelo BUDAZA, Shadley VAN SCHALKWYK, Ottneil BAARTMAN , Corne DRY
    Up-and-comers not SA u19 currently : Andries GOUS, Tshepo NTULI, Beyers SWANEPOEL

WARRIORS

Batsmen : Eddie MOORE, Jon-Jon SMUTS, Colin ACKERMANN, Colin INGRAM, Yaseen VALLIE, Christiaan JONKER, Lesiba NGOEPE, Jerry NQOLO, David WHITE
    Keepers : Gihahn CLOETE, Clyde FORTUIN
    Spinner : Simon HARMER
    Seamers : Andrew BIRCH, Basheer WALTERS, Sisanda MAGALA, Aya GQAMANE, Anrich NORTJE, Tladi BOKAKO
    Up-and-comer not SA u19 currently : Lutho SIPAMLA
    Last edited by SeamUp; 05-05-2017 at 01:41 AM.

Just changed the Knights squad as it has just been released. So above is spot on. Looks like Dillon Du Preez has retired.
    New signings : Grant Mokoena, Keegan Petersen, Patrick Kruger, Leus Du Plooy, Eddie Leie, Ottneil Baartman
    Out : Diego Rosier, Michael Erlank, Patrick Botha, Tumelo Bodibe, Dillon du Preez,Robin Peterson, Lotli Sesele, Dylan Stanley

KNIGHTS

CSA Contracted : Dave MILLER
    Batsmen : Grant MOKOENA, Luthando MNYANDA, Rilee ROSSOUW, Theunis DE BRUYN, Pite VAN BILJON, Keegan PETERSEN, Patrick KRUGER, Leus DU PLOOY
    Keeper : Rudi SECOND
    Spinners : Eddie LEIE , Werner COETSEE
    Seamers : Marchant DE LANGE, Duanne OLIVIER, Mbulelo BUDAZA, Shadley VAN SCHALKWYK, Ottneil BAARTMAN , Corne DRY
    Last edited by SeamUp; 05-05-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Just changed the Knights squad as it has just been released. So above is spot on. Looks like Dillon Du Preez has retired.
    New signings : Grant Mokoena, Keegan Petersen, Patrick Kruger, Leus Du Plooy, Eddie Leie, Ottneil Baartman
    Surprising... still had lots to contribute. Probably was not happy with the other stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    Surprising... still had lots to contribute. Probably was not happy with the other stuff..
    A solid professional who had to work hard to get where he was as he got limited early opportunities. Had a good couple of seasons at Leicestershire and a season in the IPL where he got Tendulkar out if I remember.

It can only be. When you keeping younger players like Corne Dry out of squads. Part of this process is we will lose hardened professionals like this.

Following on from Harmer :

Proteas batsman Colin Ingram has extended his stay with Glamorgan until 2019 by signing a new two-year contract to continue playing white-ball cricket.

Ingram will be available for all T20 Blast and Royal London One-Day Cup matches in the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

The left-hander signed for Glamorgan in 2015 as a Kolpak player having played 31 ODIs and nine T20I for South Africa.

He enjoyed a successful first season with the Welsh County, scoring 1712 runs in all formats, which included two County Championship hundreds and three in List A cricket.

A knee injury prevented Ingram from playing any first-class cricket during 2016, however he enjoyed a stellar season in the One-Day format, with his 502 runs and record-equalling 29 sixes in the T20 Blast helping Glamorgan secure a home quarter-final.

His legspin was another useful weapon in the competition where he took a career-best 3 for 20 against Somerset to get Glamorgan into the last eight of the NatWest Blast and bettered those figures in the quarter-final against Yorkshire Vikings in Cardiff taking 4 for 32.

Following Ingram’s excellent form in 2016 and in the early part of 2017 he was awarded his County Cap before the start of play in Glamorgan’s Royal London One-Day Cup match against Surrey last Sunday where he scored 72.

"I am delighted to commit to Glamorgan," said Ingram.

"I've been made very welcome at the club and have made a lot of friends so it was an easy decision to extend my time here in Wales.

"Being presented with my Glamorgan cap by club legend Alan Jones was a great honour so I'm determined to continue delivering my best for the club and myself. After being sidelined by injury from first-class cricket last year I'll be focusing more on the white-ball game from next season.

"However I'm intent on playing for Glamorgan across all formats for the rest of this season and will do everything I can to ensure we enjoy a successful year."

Glamorgan chief executive Hugh Morris added: "Colin is a fantastic player and has been a great addition to the team since arriving in 2015.

"He is a major part of our squad on the field and in the dressing room. His form in the T20 Blast last year was exceptional and he proved himself to be one of the most destructive batsmen in the game with the bat and surprised many opponents with the ball.

"It is a big coup for Glamorgan to sign Colin for another two years. His experience and leadership will help develop our younger players and hopefully enable us to build on the success we enjoyed in the white-ball game over recent seasons so we can challenge for trophies."
    Last edited by SeamUp; 05-05-2017 at 02:16 AM.

DOLPHINS 2017/18 SQUAD

In : Muthusamy, Vilas, Bosch, Engelbrecht, Zuma
    Out : Imraan Khan & Divan van Wyk (both retired), Daryn Smit & Cameron Delport (both got County contracts), Tshepang Dithole, Craig Alexander

DOLPHINS

CSA Contracted : Andile PHEHLUKWAYO, Keshav MAHARAJ, Imran TAHIR
    Batsmen : Sarel ERWEE, Vaughn VAN JAARSVELD, Khaya ZONDO, Cody CHETTY, Senuran MUTHUSAMY, Sibonelo MAKHANYA
    Keepers : Morne VAN WYK, Dane VILAS
    All-rounders : Robbie FRYLINCK, Calvin SAVAGE , Eathan BOSCH
    Spinners : Prenelan SUBRAYEN
    Seamers : Daryn DUPAVILLON, Rabian ENGELBRECHT, Mthokozisi SHEZI, Lwandiswa ZUMA

Rookies : Smangaliso NHLEBELA , Okuhle CELE
    KZNCU SEMI-PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTS:
    Michael Elank, Keith Dudgeon, Khalipha Cele, Jason Oakes, Mishkal Ramsaroop, Gavin Morris, Ziphozokuthula Zondo
    KZNICU SEMI-PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTS :
    Would imagine this is where Kyle Nipper and Grant Roelofsen are.

Having missed out narrowly on championship opportunities in the recently-completed season, the Hollywoodbets Dolphins have announced a strong squad that coach Grant Morgan hopes can bring success back to the Durban-based franchise in the 2017/18 season.

After being in the hunt in all three competitions for a majority of their campaigns, coach Morgan was disappointed that his side couldn’t press on and bring home much-wanted silverware. However, the coach believes that with a strong core of players, and a few astute signings, they can break their silverware drought.

“If you look back on the season, we were unlucky in the four-day campaign which was probably the most disappointing for me,” Morgan mentioned.

“We were in the top three of all three competitions after seven games and were first in both the Sunfoil Series and the Momentum One Day Cup, so to miss out was tough.

“Despite losing a couple of players for next season, I think we have a strong squad that will grow.”

The Dolphins will be without the services of a handful of long-time servants, including Cameron Delport, Craig Alexander, Daryn Smit and Divan van Wyk.

Smit had announced his retirement from professional cricket until a contract was offered by Derbyshire County Cricket Club, which he accepted. Divan van Wyk has retired from cricket while Craig Alexander has moved north to the bizhub Highveld Lions.

Cameron Delport is currently playing county cricket for Leicestershire County Cricket Club in the United Kingdom and will be out of a contract in the new season.

“With Daryn moving on and Divan retiring from the game, it has left some holes but signing a guy like Dane Vilas is a solid replacement, and Sarel Erwee is starting to come into his own, which is encouraging.

“All these guys were terrific players for the Dolphins over the years,” Morgan added.

A number of the Dolphins players shone at various stages of last season, which led to a few moving into the national ranks, but some performed consistently for the Dolphins, something Morgan is hoping to see more of next season.

“It’s great to see a guy like Khaya (Zondo) being selected to lead the SA ‘A’ team in England this year, he’s performed really well.

“We need to create a winning culture and draw on players who have been successful and played at that higher level.

“There are some younger players in the side that can look to the likes of Vaughn (Van Jaarsveld), Rob (Frylinck), Morné (van Wyk) and Dane and use their experience to grow as players.

“A guy like Eathan Bosch, who is young and has taken wickets in the amateur set-up, will need to bide his time and learn and grow within our squad.

“Okuhle Cele has been selected for the national academy and in the High Performance squad, he too will need to grow along with a guy like Smangaliso Nhlebela,” Morgan added.

Bolstering up the bowling stocks was a priority for the Dolphins following a taxing season on the experienced seam attack of Mthokozisi Shezi and Rob Frylinck.

“With Daryn Dupavillon back, who can bowl at 140km/h, Lwandiswa Zuma, Rabian Engelbrecht, Eathan Bosch, Okuhle and Calvin Savage, we have bowlers that can back up our front two senior men.

“Rob and Shezi bowled so many overs last season but this season we might be able to afford to rotate our quicker bowlers,” he said.

In the semi-professional ranks at the KwaZulu-Natal Cricket Union there have been two new signings, Michael Erlanck joins the union from Free State and Keith Dudgeon is added to the amateur outfit from Gauteng.

“Michael Erlanck will definitely add good cover for us. He has played a lot of first-class cricket for the Knights.

“Keith is another bowling all-rounder who can bowl fast and will also bolster our stocks for what is going to be another long season,” Morgan concluded.

Elgars scores in County this season..... 34, 27, 113, 8, 68, 131, 55, 96.

I truly hope he keeps his form, for the Tests in England.

I have seen many white players being mistreated by SA domestic/franchises in favour of black players

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information