• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2017/18

SeamUp

International Coach
I believe Vermeulen's family lives in Jeffrey's Bay now. But sure he has no long term future in the game anymore - Grab's description of him as a batsman/nutcase is spot on, I think.
Surprised we allowed him here with his arson past.

Remember a public spat he had with Brendan Taylor/ Graeme Cremer and a few others on social media. It was brutal.

SeamUp

International Coach
Well done him.

JON-JON SMUTS WINS THE SACA MVP IN FRANCHISE CRICKET

The South African Cricketers’ Association (SACA) congratulates Jon-Jon Smuts on winning the 2017/18 SACA MVP (Most Valuable Player) for domestic Franchise Cricket.

The SACA MVP formula calculates player on-field performances, in domestic competitions, taking into account batting, bowling, fielding dismissals and captaining abilities and weighting these in each performance according to the context of the match. The formula is similar to that used by other players associations around the world.

Smuts finished the season on 479.387 points in the overall rankings, 66.974 points ahead of 2017/18 Hollywoodbets all-rounder, Senuran Muthusamy.

Despite spending time away from the domestic competitions following his Proteas call-up for the T20 Series against India, Smuts managed to hold onto his lead at the top of the overall rankings after a stellar season in all three formats.

In addition to winning the SACA MVP, the Warriors captain picked up the top ranking spot in the Momentum One-Day Cup rankings with 154.310 points. He finished third in the Sunfoil Series rankings with 207.482 points and second in the Ram Slam T20 rankings with 117.596 points.

World Sports Betting Cape Cobras captain JP Duminy dominated the Ram Slam T20 rankings early on in the competition and finished with 122.425 points having scored 356 runs, only five runs behind tournament leading run scorer Reeza Hendricks. It was Duminy’s record breaking 37 off one over against the VKB Knights in Cape Town which sealed his position at the top of the Ram Slam T20 rankings.

Sunfoil Series winner, Simon Harmer, also enjoyed a consistent and steady climb up the overall rankings this season. The Warriors off-spinner picked up his 20th career five-wicket haul against the VKB Knights in East London to take the lead and finish with 292.399 points in the Sunfoil Series rankings. As the only bowler with four five-wicket hauls and a ten-for in the domestic season, Harmer was a clear winner.

“It’s a great feeling to win the SACA MVP,” said Smuts. “The changes in rankings are followed by franchise players after each round of matches and it’s a good indicator of form and on-field performance as it takes into account key aspects of a match and all disciplines of the game.”

“Congratulations to Jon-Jon for winning the SACA MVP this year, and also for finishing first in the Momentum One-Day Cup rankings for the second year in a row”, said Tony Irish, SACA’s chief executive. “To win overall a player has to perform for his franchise in just about every round of matches and in all three of CSA’s domestic competitions through the season.”

“I’d also like to congratulate JP Duminy and Simon Harmer on leading the way in the Ram Slam T20 and the Sunfoil Series respectively. It has been another year of exciting franchise cricket with records being broken, matches and competitions going down to the wire and some outstanding performances from established players and from young players.”

SACA MVP Sunfoil Series Momentum One-Day Cup Ram Slam T20
1. Smuts 479
2. Muthusamy 412
3. Harmer 341
4. Ackermann 327
5. Shamsi 326
6. van der Dussen 319
7. Vilas 319
8. R. Hendricks 317
9. P.Malan 292
10. Siboto 285
Also though this was interesting : SACA Fitness Rankings - SACA | South African Cricketers' Association

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Another pipeline tournament.

Future Cup begins in Kimberley on Friday

The Cricket South Africa (CSA) Future Cup competition will begin in Kimberley from 06 to 08 April 2018.

The T20 triangular tournament between the South Africa Colts, South Africa Rural XI and the USSA XI is one of CSA’s talent identification opportunities for scouts to feed new players into the organisation’s senior provincial structures. Each team is composed of the top players from the CSA Franchise Colts, CSA Rural and USSA A Weeks which were concluded during the course of the season.

CSA Cricket Services Manager, Edward Khoza commented;

“The Future Cup provides high level of playing exposure to the selected representative teams of the University Student South Africa (USSA), SA Rural and SA Franchise Academy XI through the Future Cup tournament. The competition is integral to the identification of talent beneath the Senior Provincial cricket for players from different spheres of our cricket pipeline system - Rural, Universities and Provincial Academies.

“The role of the CSA National Academy Head Coach, Shukri Conrad, in the player identification process cannot be underestimated as he provides the much-needed feedback and guidance to the senior provincial and academy and under-19 coaches on his observations from the tournament. The feedback session will be followed by a succession of determined steps and support to further advance the skills gaps of the identified players.”

Participating teams:
USSA TEAM:
Raynard van Tonder, Paballo Mogoera, Rubin Hermann, Mitchell van Buuren, Taariq Chiecktey, Tshepo Ntuli, Thomas Hobson, Jiveshen Pillay, Lutho Sipamla, Ruben Trumpelmann, Sean Whitehead, Tayo Walbrugh, Matthew Lovatt. (Head Coach: Kruger van Wyk, Assistant Coach: Dumisa Makalima, Physio: Denise Polsen, Manager: Blanche Conradie).
SA RURAL TEAM:
Ruan Havenga, Charl Penning, Brandon Handley, Ruan van Rensburg, Neill Jordan, Marcus Fourie, Jerome Xaba, Tsholofelo Phukule, Zithembile Nyembe, Don Radebe, Mphileli Skade, Luxolo Tsewu, Warwick Abrahim. (Head Coach: Lwando Lwana, Assistant Coach: Gavin Lesch, Manager: Bryan van Aswegen).
SA COLTS
Wandile Makwetu, Louren Steenkamp, Lesego Senokwane, Ruan de Swardt, Sinethemba Qeshile, Renaldo Meyer, Beyers Swanepoel, Kulani Baloyi, Jaco Janse van Rensburg, Jade de Klerk, Yamkela Oliphant, Brad Mauer, Janko Dreyer. (Head Coach: Jason Brooker, Assistant Coach: Mark Charlton).

SeamUp

International Coach
What is Janneman's potential like? Top quality?
Obviously haven't seen enough but what I have seen looks an aggressive limited overs opener-type. In the Africa T20 I thought he looked uncomfortable against Anrich Nortje so will need to see more. I think Rickelton is tighter and has potential in all 3 formats but they need to stop making him keep wicket and open in the longer formats. Problem too is both are at the Lions.

Quite a strong SA u19 group they were both apart of. Also had Grant Roelofsen (http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/player/699723.html) , Marques Ackerman (http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/player/596436.html) , Sibonelo Makhanya, Andile Phehlukwayo, Lwandiswa Zuma (http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/player/594336.html)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=8785;type=series

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=8785;type=series

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=8783;type=series

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/bowling/most_wickets_career.html?id=8783;type=series

That series above was a mauling in England and it really shouldn't have been but it was the first tour after Jennings left his post. SA u19 results haven't been the same since.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Obviously haven't seen enough but what I have seen looks an aggressive limited overs opener-type. In the Africa T20 I thought he looked uncomfortable against Anrich Nortje so will need to see more. I think Rickelton is tighter and has potential in all 3 formats but they need to stop making him keep wicket and open in the longer formats. Problem too is both are at the Lions.

Quite a strong SA u19 group they were both apart of. Also had Grant Roelofsen (Grant Roelofsen | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo) , Marques Ackerman (Marques Ackerman | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo) , Sibonelo Makhanya, Andile Phehlukwayo, Lwandiswa Zuma (Lwandiswa Zuma | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPNcricinfo)

Cricket Records | Records | South Africa Under-19s in England Youth Test Series, 2014 | | Most runs | ESPNcricinfo

Cricket Records | Records | South Africa Under-19s in England Youth Test Series, 2014 | | Most wickets | ESPNcricinfo

Cricket Records | Records | South Africa Under-19s in England Youth ODI Series, 2014 | | Most runs | ESPNcricinfo

Cricket Records | Records | South Africa Under-19s in England Youth ODI Series, 2014 | | Most wickets | ESPNcricinfo

That series above was a mauling in England and it really shouldn't have been but it was the first tour after Jennings left his post. SA u19 results haven't been the same since.
Mahatlane has been a disaster. I can understand their rationale of giving opportunities to young black coaches but he's been bad. I'm also convinced that there are good POC coaches better than him. Why do we keep persisting with him? As for Malan and Rickekton, one of them might have to move somewhere to have a better chance of playing. It looks like Rickekton has the inside lane. A guy like Malan could do well at a franchise like the knights I reckon.

SeamUp

International Coach
Mahatlane has been a disaster. I can understand their rationale of giving opportunities to young black coaches but he's been bad. I'm also convinced that there are good POC coaches better than him. Why do we keep persisting with him? As for Malan and Rickekton, one of them might have to move somewhere to have a better chance of playing. It looks like Rickekton has the inside lane. A guy like Malan could do well at a franchise like the knights I reckon.
I must say his tenure is now 4/5 years. Most times you could start looking at new coaches.

There is a rumour Malan is off to the Knights. The Bloemfontein based T20 team signed him which mau have been a sign. Same has happened with Marques Ackerman - The Durban based T20 team signed him and then by January he was playing for KZN.

SeamUp

International Coach
Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Big night at the Dolphins awards for Senuran Muthusamy

KZN Cricket Award Winners

Sunfoil Series
Fielder of the year: Dane Vilas
Bowler of the Year: Senuran Muthusamy
Batsman of the Year: Vaughn van Jaarsveld

Momentum One-Day Cup