• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2017/18

Marius

International Debutant
Simon Harmer's been on fire lately. My friend and I were talking and saying if he was available SA should be brave and prepare dustbowls and play him and Maharaj.

:ph34r:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Simon Harmer's been on fire lately. My friend and I were talking and saying if he was available SA should be brave and prepare dustbowls and play him and Maharaj.

:ph34r:
He would be 2nd choice after Maharaj for any test team to the subcontinent... did fantastic in County as well. Did he not top the County wickets?

SeamUp

International Coach
Lions v Dolphins

Coach Geoffrey Toyana admits that his bizhub Highveld Lions will be out to regain some lost pride when they welcome the Hollywoodbets Dolphins to the Bidvest Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg for their round nine Sunfoil Series encounter starting on Thursday.

It has been a forgettable season for the hosts after they disappointed in both limited-overs competitions, while their performances in the longer format have also not always been consistent enough to challenge.

They are bottom of the table heading into the penultimate round of games and the only one of the six sides that cannot win the title.

“We are playing for pride more than anything else,” Toyana said. “We played okay in Kimberley in the last game, it’s a pity the weather didn’t play ball.

“It was quite tough, though, but now we’re moving forward towards the final two games, starting against the Dolphins this week.

“The boys have prepared well and we’re still positive in the camp. Yes, we’re at home after being away for three games, so we’ll be aiming to finish well.”

The visitors sit above the home side on the table with a 15-and-a-half point advantage. They still harbour title hopes and Toyana knows it will not be an easy run.

“They’re a quality side and I know they’ll come here fighting especially after their last result, so we’ll expect a tough encounter, but we’re not going to take it lying down,” he adds. “We know we haven’t been good enough this season and it’s vital for us to finish well.”

The Dolphins were dealt a massive blow when they fell to the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras in Pietermaritzburg last time out.

It was a potentially decisive blow for coach Grant Morgan, although the coach of the KwaZulu-Natal franchise still remains bullish over their prospects.

“For us, this is the round that decides things,” he said. “For others, they can decide whether it goes down to next week. We have two games left and we have to win both if we want to have a chance of winning the competition.

“The wire has already come for us, which isn’t a bad thing.

“We have to attack from the outset, but we generally do that and it’s something we’ll look to do again depending on the conditions, which we will assess before the game.”

Lions squad: Reeza Hendricks, Omphile Ramela, Rassie van der Dussen, Dominic Hendricks, Dwaine Pretorius, Wiaan Mulder, Mangaliso Mosehle, Nono Pongolo, Aaron Phangiso, Sean Jamison, Stephen Cook (capt), Bjorn Fortuin, Beuran Hendricks, Ryan Rickelton.

Dolphins squad: Sarel Erwee, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Senuran Muthusamy, Khayelihle Zondo, Sibonelo Makhanya, Calvin Savage, Eathan Bosch, Prenelan Subrayen, Kerwin Mungroo, Jason Oakes, Okuhle Cele, Dane Vilas.

SeamUp

International Coach
No Morris ?

World Sports Betting Cape Cobras coach Ashwell Prince does not expect the Sunfoil Series title to be decided when they face the Multiply Titans this weekend but acknowledges that results of the upcoming round nine could be key to determining the destiny of the title.
Both teams are in the running and are amongst four teams separated by just over five points ahead of their encounter at Eurolux Boland Park in Paarl.
It is a key game in the context of the season, and with the other two sides in the top four – the Warriors and VKB Knights – also going head-to-head, no one can really afford to lose.
“There’s two games to go and we’re one point adrift, so if all the games are drawn then it’s going to go down to the last week,” Prince said.
“But it goes without saying that this is a very important weekend because any team that gets a win this weekend, whether it’s one of us or anyone else, they will gain a huge advantage, because of the small gap at the top of the table.
“A win will be massive and certainly give you the upper hand.”
With both sides knowing that a win this week could be key to the 2017/18 crown, a more open game could be on the cards.
Prince continued: “Both want a result so that means it could be a more attacking game. But we’re both in the same boat probably.
“I guess the worst thing is a loss, but you’ll take a draw if everybody else draws, but ultimately anyone of the top four win this weekend then they will be in the driving seat in the final round.”
The Cobras do have more of the momentum heading to the game after they overcame the Hollywoodbets Dolphins in the previous round, while the Titans lost to the Warriors.
Visiting coach Mark Boucher hopes that the result from round eight will spur them on in the Cape. “We lost the game to the Warriors with the last ball of the game, which was disappointing,” he reflected. “But I don’t necessarily think it was a bad thing because the last time that happened we went on to win the next two games convincingly.
“It was a good wake up call for us.”
Boucher is also looking forward to an open game against the Cobras and hopes they can start well on day one.
“I think it’s a massive week for the whole competition,” he added. “There’s five sides within catching distance of each other.
“Everyone has had a bit of a break as well, everyone’s had a good chance to prepare, so it’s all guns blazing for us.
“You’re not going to go out there and try to draw a game or anything like that. We’re going to go out there to try and win.
“We obviously have to get into a position to do that first, so that’s what our initial aim will be. Have a good first day and pick up from there.”
The Cobras squad is: Yet to be released
The Titans squad is: Heinrich Klaasen (capt), Andrea Agathangelou, Matthew Arnold, Farhaan Behardien, Henry Davids, Tony de Zorzi, Eldred Hawken, Heino Kuhn, Rivaldo Moonsamy, Alfred Mothoa, Tabraiz Shamsi, Malusi Siboto, Shaun von Berg.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
So potentially could be 4-day franchise debuts for Rickelton (Lions) , E.Bosch, Oakes, Cele (Dolphins), Arnold (Titans)

I see Matthew Arnold has come into the squad for Morris but Eldred Hawken is most likely to come in before him I would imagine. Arnold going full circle. Remember him being the quickest bowler at the 2008 u19 CWC under Parnell where we got to the final. Had some 50-over games for the Lions a few years ago.

SeamUp

International Coach
Morris called up to the test squad perhaps? With Steyn not available for the next test, and Rabada's availability also uncertain they probably need an extra bowler as cover.
That's what I was thinking. Titans didn't say he was injured in the press release and they csn't say he is in the SA squad until official.

Plus Olivier is in the Knights squad.

SeamUp

International Coach
KNIGHTS squad

Grant Mokoena
Luthando Mnyanda
Keegan Petersen
Dave Miller
Rudi Second (wk) (c)
Patrick Kruger

Werner Coetsee
Tshepo Ntuli

Ryan McLaren
Marchant de Lange
Duanne Olivier
Shadley van Schalkwyk
Ottneil Baartman

FREE STATE playing too : Gous, van Biljon, du Plooy, van Tonder, Botha, Leie, Dry all there

COBRAS squad

Pieter Malan
Andrew Puttick
Zubayr Hamza
Stiaan van Zyl
Kyle Verreynne (wk)
Aviwe Mgijima
Simon Khomari

Dane Piedt (c)
Junaid Dawood
Kyle Simmonds

Dane Paterson
Mthi Nabe
Tshepo Moreki
Lizaad Williams

WP playing too : Newby, Q.Adams, J.Smith, Galiem, Linde, Dill, Cohen all there

SeamUp

International Coach
Knights getting slain at the moment 41/6...
Warriors flying high. That XI with Ackermann back in for Koopman is the main XI. It's nice to know that with their first winter of being professionals (Breetzke/Sipamla) they will keep growing and push incumbents. Who would have thought it... Warriors cricket on the rise ! Nortje, Bokako, Magal, Harmer is a decent attack.

Good starts by Dolphins debutants Cele and E.Bosch - after watching Savage this season - the injuries have ruined him as a bowler which is a massive shame.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Renaissance of the once struggling young franchise batsman continues. Andrea Agathangelou with the first 100 of the 9th round.

Simon Harmer proves that spinners start peaking around the 30 mark with another 5-for

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Is this a dry Buffalo park or is it batsmen unable to handle quality spin in SA... or a bit of both?
Probably both.

I was reading an article where Birch was confident he might play as they expected seamers to do well on this Buffalo Park wicket.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just come across this.

Harmer has now taken 115 wickets in his last 21 FC games at 19.74. 8 5-fors and 3 10-fors.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Warriors flying high. That XI with Ackermann back in for Koopman is the main XI. It's nice to know that with their first winter of being professionals (Breetzke/Sipamla) they will keep growing and push incumbents. Who would have thought it... Warriors cricket on the rise ! Nortje, Bokako, Magal, Harmer is a decent attack.

Good starts by Dolphins debutants Cele and E.Bosch - after watching Savage this season - the injuries have ruined him as a bowler which is a massive shame.
At some point you'll just have to accept that Savage might end up like VVJ, talented but just can't cut it at a higher level. He's what 25 now? Sometimes it's not meant to be. Craig Kirsten is another one. It just wasn't meant to be.

SeamUp

International Coach
At some point you'll just have to accept that Savage might end up like VVJ, talented but just can't cut it at a higher level. He's what 25 now? Sometimes it's not meant to be. Craig Kirsten is another one. It just wasn't meant to be.
That ship sailed for me after watching him in the 50-over comp like I said above.

SeamUp

International Coach
I noticed Putters' FC average dropped below 40 for the first time ever at the end of the last game. Hopefully in these last games he can tip it back over.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
I noticed Putters' FC average dropped below 40 for the first time ever at the end of the last game. Hopefully in these last games he can tip it back over.
His franchise average is heading below 37,5; which I don't think it has done since around 2011. His last season over 40 was 2014/15, I think?

SeamUp

International Coach
That ship sailed for me after watching him in the 50-over comp like I said above.
His batting always encouraged me too. Technically good enough to have defence game and can strike a ball well. I do wonder if he will eventually bat 6.

Currently playing a top knock and taking the game away from the Lions : DOLPH 356/9 (83.0 ov, K Mungroo 0*, CP Savage 79*, PWA Mulder 0/55) - Live | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Just hit 6, 6 , 4 to get to his first franchise 100

Last edited: