• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2017/18

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Also know he does alot of work with kids in the local area through his own charities. Excellent stuff. Seems a genuine good guy when I've seen him interviewed. Comes across really well and I'm sure there is still a massive role for him in the domestic scene

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah cheers for your thoughts.

Regarding Duminy, I've always been a major fan of his (more attributed to his style rather than output) ,but isn't there a time the selectors just say 'Thanks JP for your services, but we're moving on now'?. Guys had a very good career, but even at his best he's always been a bit inconsistent, and in ODI's bowlers during the middle overs can just suffocate him through dot balls or just put men back on the off side (a very noticable strength)

Had a small renaisssance when England toured a couple of years ago in the test arena. To be honest, i didn't initially realise he had been selected for this series. Thought he was out of the picture in ODI's
Duminy has always been a highly talented but very frustrating player. Retired from Tests but still an important part of the LO setup, doing well domestically and had a good run with the ODI team for awhile... the consistency problem is enhanced with the poor consistency of Miller. Can carry one inconsistent talented player not two....right now we have 3 in Duminy, Miller and Morris. But not a great deal of alternatives unless we throw youngsters into the deep end.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep I partly agree on Duminy, but hasn't he been struggling in ODI's for a while now? Heard he's not scored over 40 in his last 20 innings which is fatal.

My hypothetical X1

Hash, QDK, AB, Faf, Miller, Mulder, Phehluywayo, Frylinck (Maybe Philander?) Morris, Rabada, Tahir/Shamsi

Keep Behardien, Klaasen, Ngidi and Maharaj as back-ups. Vern too maybe as an option?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I think 5 is alright to still have genuine batsmen.... 6 maybe you want a bit of a slogger/batsmen type. Unfortunately our closest prepared #6 in SA is Behardien. If you have an aggressive players in the top 4 then 5 needs to be stable as well. That is part of the issue, our 5/6 are not stable at all but need time to get in as well. Would be nice to have a Maxwell type player at 6. But also think the lack of allrounders hurt; Morris is a great hitting 8 but we playing him at 7 with inconsistent 5/6? Hence why I would prefer Mulder. Maybe Frylink as a short term number 7, in many ways I prefer him to Morris.

We are totally dependant on our top 4 at the moment, thus when we end up 50/4 the game is pretty much over.
I think 5/6 you have to be adaptable but still have enough about you to get away with risk ie Cronje/Rhodes would come in and show immediate intent whether it was sweeping, reverse-sweeping, slog-sweeping, using their feet and just looking to come at bowlers - especially spinners. In between that a good enough ability to keep the good one's out and manipulate the field.

I just think we got someone like Moonsamy who seems to have a bit of that and now he is batting at 3. If you look at it, it makes sense - it gives him a chance to play long innings and develops him in keeping it tight but he isn't playing the situations.

Then again Cronje batted 3 for Free State and Rhodes 4 for Natal.

Maybe it is just about quality produced.

It's a tough one.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Yep I partly agree on Duminy, but hasn't he been struggling in ODI's for a while now? Heard he's not scored over 40 in his last 20 innings which is fatal.

My hypothetical X1

Hash, QDK, AB, Faf, Miller, Mulder, Phehluywayo, Frylinck (Maybe Philander?) Morris, Rabada, Tahir/Shamsi

Keep Behardien, Klaasen, Ngidi and Maharaj as back-ups. Vern too maybe as an option?
Vern never been the same with the white-ball. His batting also suits longer-version. I wouldn't mess around with that.

I think Frylinck and Morris and Phehlukwayo might be the way to go. But all still have loads to prove for me. Are they even Hall, vd Wath good ? Are the Albie Morkel's ?

Last edited:

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Not only that, when Vern played white ball his test bowling suffered. Start bowling 6 inches shorter and while he was still tight, wasn't as penetrating. May have been coincidental as he also started niggles at that time...

Von Berg hasn't shown much as a L/O batsman, and still bowls too much filth to be considered in international cricket. Even if the trend elsewhere is leg-spinners, I'd say Maharaj, Subrayen, Muthusamy and Linde must be ahead of him, and all have at least some batting. If Muthusamy can develop his attacking side more, he could help a lot at 6/7. Already shown ability to dig in under tough conditions...

Bahseph

State Captain
Gibson and Faf need to be clear about what kind of team they want. Do they want to go for a strong top 6 and then play strike bowlers?

1. Amla
2. Qdk
3. Faf
4. AB
5. Markram
6. JP
7. Morris
8. Rabada
9. Morkel
10. Lungi/Shamsi
11. Tahir

I'd go Markram over Miller just because of the lack of batting depth. Obviously no place for an Andile here cos he isn't really a strike bowler.

Or go the England route and loud the team with multi faceted cricketers and hope we score enough . It would be the same top 5:

6. Mulder
7. Morris
8. Andile
9. Maharaj
10. Rabada
11. Tahir

Only real mug being Tahir but he is still one of the best LO spinners going around. Not really saying these teams should be picked, just throwing out potential strategies. We don't seem to have one at the moment.

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm also really over the idea of Duminy being in this team. Can't even count on 5 decent overs from him these days. Hope he proves me wrong in the last four games. At least with Miller you know that when he comes off he is going to win you a game. But he needs to be set up. Can't have him coming in early all the time.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually surprised at Behardien's stats - there pretty decent really. Averaging early 30s at a S/R of 98 is fine. I always thought he was a grafter but recently I've heard (and seen) that he can clear the ropes easily at the back end of the innings. Is he a guy who takes a while to play himself in then puts on the throttle or a 'finisher'?

Bahseph

State Captain
Behardian has basically played to his potential at International level. Can nurdle it around just fine but he doesn't have too. I've seen him hit out quite early. I'd say that he isn't one of our best LO batsman talent wise, but he IS probably the best 6 or 7 we have purely on how his game is structured.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Actually surprised at Behardien's stats - there pretty decent really. Averaging early 30s at a S/R of 98 is fine. I always thought he was a grafter but recently I've heard (and seen) that he can clear the ropes easily at the back end of the innings. Is he a guy who takes a while to play himself in then puts on the throttle or a 'finisher'?
Seen him play ways for the titans. Holds the record for the fastest domestic t20 50 so can certainly gone from ball one. For titans generally gets in and then goes but he usually bats 4 or 5 for them so slightly higher compared to the role he has had at international level.

akilana

International 12th Man
Hard to support a team that Duminy plays for. Harder to support a team that doesnt pick players based on merit. Andile shouldn’t be anywhere near the national team.

QDK
Amla
Markram
Faf
AB
Klassen
Morris
Rabada
Lungi
Morkel
Shamzi

That is my team. I don’t mind if Amla is forced out because he tends to do well in SA and struggle away in ODIs and he is not getting runs like he used to. In that case, Miller slots in.

Duminy and Farhardien are limitted and you cannot expect them to play a significant innings against a proper team when wickets are falling around them.
Imagine another team being this patient with a player like SA have been with Duminy.

SeamUp

International Coach
According to reports looks like the Cobras going to go with 5 bowlers with Piedt at 7 vs Titans in Benoni starting Thurs.

Malan
Khomari
Hamza
van Zyl
Mgijima
Verreynne
Piedt
Kleinveldt
Paterson
Nabe
Cohen/Williams

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to support a team that Duminy plays for. Harder to support a team that doesnt pick players based on merit. Andile shouldn’t be anywhere near the national team.

QDK
Amla
Markram
Faf
AB
Klassen
Morris
Rabada
Lungi
Morkel
Shamzi

That is my team. I don’t mind if Amla is forced out because he tends to do well in SA and struggle away in ODIs and he is not getting runs like he used to. In that case, Miller slots in.

Duminy and Farhardien are limitted and you cannot expect them to play a significant innings against a proper team when wickets are falling around them.
Imagine another team being this patient with a player like SA have been with Duminy.
Advocates meritocracy but wants the best spinner in limited overs cricket dropped, ignores that Phehlukwayo has had more success with the ball in ODIs than Morris and wouldn’t mind seeing Amla dropped as he struggles away from home and is not scoring the runs he used to. Amla averages 48 away and averaged 50 last year in ODIs.

Bahseph

State Captain
Andile deservedly has his place/selection questioned in Tests. But he is a handy LO allrounder. And has shown that he can deliver in this format. I'd never leave him out of a squad atleast,even if he doesn't always play.

SeamUp

International Coach
Some thoughts ahead of the 6th round of fixtures. Not forgetting there was only 1 win in the first 15 fixtures. ****e pitches and ****e bowling.

The Titans were the only team to come away with a win from the first round of five matches last year, and all teams with aspirations know that they cannot fall too far behind in the early stages of the second session.

The Titans meet the Cobras in Benoni, the Knights face the Dolphins in Bloemfontein and the Warriors take on the Highveld Lions in East London.

The 14 draws were pinned on unresponsive wickets, lethargic bowlers and dodgy Kookaburra balls, but the teams know they are going to have to make things happen.

The Titans have amassed 79.68 points, 10 more than the Knights (68.70). But the competition is extremely tight with the bottom-placed Lions on 56.38 points.

Mark Boucher’s team, who have won the Ram Slam and topped the table in the One-Day Cup, continue to stand out despite the draw on their resources by national call-ups: Heinrich Klaasen being the latest to join the Proteas. In the first half of the season, they used 21 players.

In a review of the season, coach Boucher said: ‘It wasn’t ideal, but as it happens, opportunities were presented to others and for us there were openings for guys like Corbin Bosch and Migael Pretorius, so those guys stepped in and came through with flying colours.

‘I’m pleased with the depth, and hopefully we can get more settled.’

Boucher is predicting a more exciting second half of the season.

‘I think once the competition starts to break up a bit with some wins, then you’ll start to see riskier cricket being played because there are so many points for a win. We can expect things to be more exciting in the second half; there’ll be more rolling of the dice.’
The Dolphins will head to Bloemfontein this week, and the joint one-day champions will be ready for a massive scrap against the defending four-day title holders.

“We are expecting our toughest game of the season, in all formats,” Grant Morgan said of their opposition for tomorrow’s return to Sunfoil Series action.

The Knights, who host the Durbanites, have endured a tough season. On the field, they have been also-rans in the two limited-overs competitions. They were bottom of the standings in each, increasingly looking like a team playing as individuals.

Off the field, there are persistent rumours of power struggles and squabbling. In that light, then, it is no surprise that they find themselves in turmoil.

Morgan, however, is well aware that they will meet a team whose pride has been dented, and who want to finish the season off accordingly.

In the four-day table, the Knights lie in second place, still handily placed to defend their title from last year.

“They finished sixth and sixth in the two competitions so far, but I don’t think they deserved that,” Morgan commented. “They have played better than that, and we are bracing ourselves for a massive fight.”

Morgan himself is expecting his men to put the success of the One-Day Cup behind them, and prove that they are hungry for much more.

“The next five matches are a huge test for us. They will say a lot about whether we want to build on what we achieved, and create a dynasty,” he challenged.

Morgan, being Morgan, has already done the permutations, and knows his team must start producing results instead of stalemates, to have any chance of securing a season double.

The Dolphins played out five draws in the beginning of the season, mostly because of bad weather hampering their best-laid plans. That leaves them in fifth place on a very congested table, but their coach is adamant that the door is still open.

“I reckon we will need to get to about 164 points to win the title,” Morgan said.

That is not a random number, either. That is based on the Dolphins having to play positive cricket, and chasing the wins that eluded them in the first round of fixtures.

“We will need to secure about 100 points in our next five games. We will have to play positive cricket to do that,” Morgan maintained.

For that to happen, the Durbanites will have to take wickets and bowl teams out. They have Proteas spinner Keshav Maharaj in tow for now, and his form will be vital to the cause.

Where the Dolphins have come short is in the pure pace ranks. There is, however, positive news on that front.

Rabian Engelbrecht has apparently found his mongrel again, bowling with hostility in practice.

Meanwhile, long-term absentee Daryn Dupavillon is getting closer and closer to a return to franchise action.

That imminent injection of speed bodes well for a massive last month of action for the Dolphins.
A more aggressive approach in pursuit of 100 wickets and sustaining the excellence that had TV analysts in awe of the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras’ fielding, are part of the team’s battle plan for the second half of the Sunfoil Series.

World Sports Betting Cape Cobras spinner Dane Piedt, said they discussed the plan to improve on their bowling and capturing as close to 100 wickets as possible in the second half of the competition.

The batting was outstanding in the first half of the competition, but the bowling let them down on featherbeds, while the Cape team also dropped a number of catches.

Their transformation in the field during the RAM SLAM T20 Challenge and the Momentum One Day Cup series was nothing short of breathtaking. In the semi-finals of the Momentum One Day Cup competition, Aviwe Mgijima and Zubayr Hamza took catches that had TV commentators searching for accolades to describe it aptly.

Piedt said the real challenge in the first half was the inability of fielders to engage “in the battle between bat and ball.” They have targeted fielding as an area where the team wants to sustain the levels that was so heart-warming in the white-ball series.

“We want to be much more aggressive and clinical. Every player must take responsibility. The number seven position will be important and I might bat there, with Kyle Verreynne moving up to number six, where he will have added responsibility.

“Justin Ontong has retired and joined the South African team. Stiaan van Zyl is the ideal replacement for the experienced Ontong,” he added.

Piedt says Simon Khomari has improved his confidence and is mentally in a different place. He will probably open the batting (with Pieter Malan).

The first five matches all ended in stalemates, but with renewed focus on the bowling, the World Sports Betting Cape Cobras, rejuvenated after their appearance in a home semi-final, will target the Multiply Titans for a knockout blow at Benoni in their four-day clash which starts on Thursday.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Don't get it, after the Cobras terrible MODC semi-final... OK, with Philander at 5 that was even thinner, but Verreyne, Khomari, Hamza and to a lesser extent Mgijima are not exactly proven names at franchise level and they're more than half the top 6. Verreyne was 8 and Piedt 9 in their last game. Jason Smith has faded this season, but surely someone like Galiem would improve their balance?

Seen a few franchise teams go with very fragile batting line-ups this season...

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks like these are the squads

Cobras

Pieter Malan
Simon Khomari
Zubayr Hamza
Stiaan van Zyl
Aviwe Mgijima
Jason Smith

Kyle Verreynne (wk)

Dane Piedt (c)
George Linde

Dane Paterson
M Nabe
Lizaad Williams
Michael Cohen

So a shoot out between Smith/Linde for 7 and one between Williams/Cohen (both should be playing)

No Vern.
No Kleinveldt (back to coach)
Titans

Dean Elgar (c)
Andrea Aganthangelou
Tony De Zorzi
Heino Kuhn
Henry Davids

Rivaldo Moonsamy (wk) (4-day debut)

Shaun von Berg

Corbin Bosch
Eldred Hawken
Migael Pretorius
Junior Dala
Malusi Siboto
Rowan Richards
Alfred Mothoa
Warriors

Edward Moore
Gihahn Cloete
Colin Ackermann
Lesiba Ngoepe
Yaseen Vallie
JJ Smuts (c)

Clyde Fortuin (wk)

Simon Harmer

Anrich Nortje
Aya Gqamane
Tladi Bokako
Lutho Sipamla

No Magala or Birch. Their 2 senior quicks.

Ingram doesn't play 4-day much anymore.
Highveld Lions

Stephen Cook (c)
Reeza Hendricks
Omphile Ramela
Rassie van der Dussen
Nicky van den Bergh
Wiaan Mulder
Dominic Hendricks

Mangi Mosehle (wk)

Aaron Phangiso

Sean Jamison
Beuran Hendricks
Craig Alexander
Nono Pongolo

No spinner (Fortuin). No main fast bowler in Viljoen. Pretorius still dropped. Torrid season. Not sure if it is going to get better

Rickelton & Malan back to provincial. Wonder where Nandre Burger is in their thoughts
Dolphins

Sarel Erwee
Morne van Wyk
Vaughn van Jaarsveld
Senuran Muthusamy
Sibz Makhanya

Dane Vilas (wk)

Keshav Maharaj (c)

Robbie Frylinck
Attie Maposa
Kerwin Mungroo
Zak Paruk (debut)

Desperately need some strike bowlers. The Kzn team will be interesting at the same time with Ackerman, Savage, Bosch, Subrayen, Dupavillon, Engelbrecht.
Knights

Scary season. Especially with seniors not stepping up ie de Lange.
de Bruyn, Olivier missing during tests and now Miller.

All we really care about.

Rudi Second (wk)
Theunis de Bruyn (c)
Patrick Kruger
Duanne Olivier

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Another failure for Jason Smith. Cobras seem committed to dropping him and picking him again before he has done anything to warrant it.

They would have been better served picking Linde.

Pieter Malan with another 100. Can't believe Iam saying this but a shoe-in for SA A. A little worrying.