• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South African Domestic Season 2017/18

SeamUp

International Coach
Titans beat the Lions.

Albertus Morkel still showing his batting quality !

Ngidi was quick. Got to 144 effortlessly but still can be erratic.

Needs some 4-day cricket to groove his action.

SeamUp

International Coach
With Rickelton being chosen as the young batsman the Lions are investing in , it has a resulted in the talented Marques Ackerman moving to Durban to give it a shot for the Dolphins which is a very good move. Considering their batting includes the near-retiring van Wyk, the enigmatic , talented but tubby VVJ and Kolpak Vilas.

Roelofsen also made the move in the off-season and as a keeper/batsman he will get opportunities eventually with van Wyk/Vilas.

Gauteng really are spreading the talent around the country. In the last 4 Coke Weeks (before recent one where they dominate again) the following have been SA u19 or SA Schools stars.

Boland : Ricardo Vasconcelos (20) , Brandon Glover (20)
KZN Coastal : Marques Ackerman (21), Keith Dudgeon (22)
KZN Inland : Grant Roelofsen (21)
Gauteng : Ryan Rickelton (21), Wiaan Mulder (19), Kagiso Rabada (22) , Muhammed Mayet (19)
Northerns : Tony de Zorzi (20), Mitchell van Buuren (19)

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ngidi was quick. Got to 144 effortlessly but still can be erratic.
His action definitely looks changed, more de Lange-ish. I don't like it, thought it was smoother before, had more control. I suspect it was done to try stop him from stressing his back again.

SeamUp

International Coach
His action definitely looks changed, more de Lange-ish. I don't like it, thought it was smoother before, had more control. I suspect it was done to try stop him from stressing his back again.
Be interesting to see comparisons.

Ultimately he was always a chest on bowler who bowled back of a length and hit the seam into right-handers ? Still looks what he is about.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Surprising to me, but doesn't seem like rest of SA squad playing in One-Day Cup tomorrow (were still at ground today). I don't get picking a squad of 15 for a home test... Some of those need to be getting time in the middle, not kicking their heels.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rory Kleinveldt & Ryan McLaren both 34 still waiting if they will be playing County Cricket for Northants and Lancashire next year after arguably their best seasons in County Cricket. Both were overseas players though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Surprising to me, but doesn't seem like rest of SA squad playing in One-Day Cup tomorrow (were still at ground today). I don't get picking a squad of 15 for a home test... Some of those need to be getting time in the middle, not kicking their heels.
Definitely agree.

I guess Otis & staff are trying to familiarise and work with players early in their tenure.

Normally 15-man squads for a home test series are overkill.

SeamUp

International Coach
Great to see Dupavillon make his come-back for KZN Coastal in a 1-day game on Sunday. But think they will be patient. Maybe back end of 50-over comp or when the 4-day series resumes if things are going well.

It isn't only Dupavillon who has been injured but also young quicks Okuhle Cele and Lwandiswa Zuma (both with the SA Academy last season) and Cele has been included in their squad for Paarl. He was disappointing in the tour games for Invitation teams but he looks a stocky fella who if he has stamina could be an interesting first change option the more he gain experience with the Dolphins. But is probably well behind Zuma in potential.

Talking about the Dolphins. Morgan rating his all-rounders as they head off for Paarl.

"Our all-rounders like Rob (Frylinck), Calvin (Savage), Sen (Muthusamy) and Prenelan (Subrayen) have got to the stage now where they don't allow, for example, their batting to suffer if they bowl well.

"They are too good and are now taking on true all-rounder status," Morgan said confidently.

Bahseph

State Captain
I know Subrayens first cousin. I asked about his action and was told that he has a bent arm ala Murali. First I've heard of it. Was also told he is really working on his batting.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Before this season, in 21 Limited Over innings, Gihahn Cloete had an average of 29,3 and a S/R of 62. Where has he suddenly discovered attacking shots from? Up until now, he's been strictly a nurdler!

SeamUp

International Coach
I know Subrayens first cousin. I asked about his action and was told that he has a bent arm ala Murali. First I've heard of it. Was also told he is really working on his batting.
Been suspended twice but to be honest I've never felt it was really bad. Mainly his quicker ball and doosra that was questioned. It's been tough for him so young but hopefully with time his confidence will be fully back because he was very good at u19 (with guys like de Kock, Bowes, Cloete, de Bruyn, Savage, Williams, Dry) and Dolphins involved him whilst still a teenager which is young for a spinner.

SeamUp

International Coach
Before this season, in 21 Limited Over innings, Gihahn Cloete had an average of 29,3 and a S/R of 62. Where has he suddenly discovered attacking shots from? Up until now, he's been strictly a nurdler!
Cloete is a weird player. Can play all around the wicket and has actually got a 4-day hundred vs England Lions. One of his strengths used to be when he got in he scored a 100. But he wasn't even doing that anymore. Obviously better in the longer version but possibly getting the gloves off him helped.

Bahseph

State Captain
I definitely see him as a good T20 option for us eventually. He can bowl at any time and is a decent fielder and hitter at the death.

SeamUp

International Coach
I definitely see him as a good T20 option for us eventually. He can bowl at any time and is a decent fielder and hitter at the death.
Think so too. Definitely think his chances will come in shorter formats as he seems better when he bowls quicker.

Off-spin : Piedt, Harmer, Subrayen
Slow left-arm : Maharaj, Fortuin, Linde, Simmonds/Muthusamy
Wrist-spin : Tahir, Shamsi, von Berg

10 years ago we didn't have this sort of potential. The spin camps in India an Sri Lanka clearly good planning.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Dolphins team today looking much stronger with Tahir, Frylinck, Savage, Subrayen and Phehlukwayo as the bowling attack. Also good to see Chetty at 6. We need more cake to go along with the icing haha

Bahseph

State Captain
Frylinck vs Levi isn't the best advert for fitness in cricket. Beaut by Frylinck. Hope he gets a go in the T20 team.

SeamUp

International Coach
Frylinck vs Levi isn't the best advert for fitness in cricket. Beaut by Frylinck. Hope he gets a go in the T20 team.
Luckily the big show isn't playing otherwise it definitely would have been an advert for WWE.

JP Duminy making it look easy like he should and quality little finishing knock by a talented young keeper/batsman Kyle Verreynne who is probably a better age than Klaasen to get a serious run in the test team in future years.

Thinking about a T20 team.

R.Hendricks
Smuts
Klaasen
Miller
Duminy
Behardien
Phehlukwayo
Frylinck
Linde
Shamsi
Paterson/Ngidi

Other probables : Jonker, Mosehle, Parnell, Magala, Zondo, Mulder , Dala

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
SeamUP obviously hasn't watched much WWE in a while cos everyone is lean there there now haha.

Yeah liked the innings by Verreyne. Looks busy and has a good range. If he can free up QDK eventually we might actually see QDK boss Tests with the bat.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Seamup: Have you seen much of Kaber's spin? He's got his work cut out for him with Shamsi and von Berg for Titans already; wonder if he's considered moving to Lions, but then there's Phangiso and Bjorn...

Dendarii

International Debutant
Thinking about a T20 team.

R.Hendricks
Smuts
Klaasen
Miller
Duminy
Behardien
Phehlukwayo
Frylinck
Linde
Shamsi
Paterson/Ngidi

Other probables : Jonker, Mosehle, Parnell, Magala, Zondo, Mulder , Dala
Phangiso might be in the mix too, in order to get the numbers up.