• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One-Day Style Test Cricketers

One-Day Style Test Cricketer

• Sehwag

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Hayden

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Gilchrist

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • Gibbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

PY

International Coach
A career average of 34.37 in ODI and 32.40 in last 10 ODI points to me is that Sehwag is nowhere near being a 'game-changer'.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, Gilchrist is the man in that list who has made a significant contribution to test-match batting in a style more normally associated with one-day internationals. I would have included Klusener in that list as well, but most definitely not included Sehwag - yet.

Sure, he scored 309 this week, but he required more lives than a cat in order to get there. His average is good, but not THAT good. His strike rate is good, but not THAT good.

What was the question again?

a massive zebra

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
For me, Gilchrist is the man in that list who has made a significant contribution to test-match batting in a style more normally associated with one-day internationals. I would have included Klusener in that list as well, but most definitely not included Sehwag - yet.

Sure, he scored 309 this week, but he required more lives than a cat in order to get there. His average is good, but not THAT good. His strike rate is good, but not THAT good.

What was the question again?
Sehwag's average in both Tests and ODIs is only 1 run less than Gilchrist's, and his strike rate in ODIs is higher. You cannot just use figures like that to justify Gilchrist's superiority, because there is hardly anything in it.

On the other hand, despite his comparatively poor recent form, Gilchrist would get my vote to. He has been an effective International hitter for far longer than Sehwag, and has won far more matches in the process. If Sehwag continues to impose himself at the highest level he may well be ranked in the same class as Gilchrist in a couple of years, but definetly not yet.

Last edited:

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
The answer is easily Adam Gilchrist.

Whether he is in the whites or the coloured clothing, he bats in same brutally attacking way :D

Here are Gilchrist's career batting strike rates:

ODI's: 94.04
Test's: 82.35

We all know how Gilchrist is a brutal ODI opener (just look at his strike rate), but have a look at his test strike rate, alot of players don't even have a ODI strike rate like Gilchrist's test strike rate :O

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Sehwag's average in both Tests and ODIs is only 1 run less than Gilchrist's, and his strike rate in ODIs is higher.
Don't forget that Gilchrist has played 190 ODI's compared to Sehwag's 90 ODI's & Gilchrist has played 54 Test's compared to Sehwag's 21 Test's.

Eclipse

International Debutant
a massive zebra said:
Sehwag's average in both Tests and ODIs is only 1 run less than Gilchrist's, and his strike rate in ODIs is higher. You cannot just use figures like that to justify Gilchrist's superiority, because there is hardly anything in it.
Yeah but more importaintly Shewags test strike rate is at least 10 runs slower.

Not to mention Gillys ODI strike rate is going up. He has been striking at over 100 in the last 2 years of ODI's.

And as an opener Gilly has a higher strike rate than Shewag in ODI's as well.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard Rash said:
Chris Cairns battted at a strike rate of 85 in the recent south afria series not bad for tests
Though thats just one series.

In fact his test batting strike rate is 55.93.

spofta

Banned
Richard Rash said:
Chris Cairns battted at a strike rate of 85 in the recent south afria series not bad for tests
OOOO great all of a sudden that makes him a test player. Cairns is crap he is always injured (SOFT ****) i say we get rid of him before its too late. Oram is better. Cairns replaced by Ross Taylor

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Get a f**king grip spofta u drip. Cairns is a legend. He plays as if its a one dayer wenever he bats. Taylor is yet to prove himself. He needs another season at least for him to be considered

spofta

Banned
Rash u wud have to be the dumbest person ever. I bet u Wear glasses. coz u r obviously blind taylor over cairns neday

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Why wold you have a batsmen replacing a all rounder. Surely some one like Jimmy Franklin Is more suited to the role of replacing Cairns when he retires. You obviously dont no to much about cricket i bet u r average at the game yourself

PY

International Coach
spofta said:
Rash u wud have to be the dumbest person ever. I bet u Wear glasses. coz u r obviously blind taylor over cairns neday
You have a problem with people who wear glasses?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard Rash said:
Get a f**king grip spofta u drip. Cairns is a legend. He plays as if its a one dayer wenever he bats. Taylor is yet to prove himself. He needs another season at least for him to be considered
spofta said:
Look, Eric and Ernie.
No-one's buying your twaddle. Go and try to be clever somewhere else.

spofta

Banned
i have a life unlike most of you losers i dont sit at my computer batting off over cricket.maybe you should go and get a life then talk to me

Craig

World Traveller
spofta said:
i have a life unlike most of you losers i dont sit at my computer batting off over cricket.maybe you should go and get a life then talk to me
That is uncalled for.

If your not interested in the game that much dont bother visiting this site.