• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alright here it is. CW chooses the best ever keeper. 32 men duke it out

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jack Blackham vs Bert Oldfield
Jock Cameron vs Les Ames

John Waite vs Godfrey Evans
Allan Knott vs Wasim Bari

Denis Lindsay vs Rod Marsh
Jack Russell vs Ian Healy

Moin Khan vs Mark Boucher
Adam Gilchrist vs MS Dhoni

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jack Blackham vs Bert Oldfield - close. Oldfield narrowly takes it.
Jock Cameron vs Les Ames - again pretty close, but Ames's batting average (if inflated by weaker sides) was pretty amazing for a keeper back then. And given how keepers were rated back then, he had to be at least good with the gloves.

John Waite vs Godfrey Evans - again tight. Waite's batting swings it.
Allan Knott vs Wasim Bari - no disrepect to Bari who was very good but this isn't very close.

Denis Lindsay vs Rod Marsh - tough, Lindsay didn't have great longetivity and I don't know much about his keeping skills. But Marsh wasn't that good with the gloves and Lindsay's superior batting swings it.
Jack Russell vs Ian Healy - despite me voting for Stewart, this is very close, both were great. Healy nabs it on better longetivity (which tbf wasn't Russell's fault).

Moin Khan vs Mark Boucher - Moin probably lucky to make the 2nd round. Boucher was very solid

mr_mister

I nearly used the word longevity in my post describing Russell and healy but their test careers were nearly equal length in terms of years so it seems unfair

mr_mister

wow never knews Ames was such a minnow basher. thats gotta be one of the worst examples of it ever. crap average against Australia, got most of runs against 1930s NZ, WI and SA and even failed against NZ when Cowie started

only respectable things were that he had to face Constantine and Martindale for his minnow runs and at least got the one ton against the Grimmet/O'Reilly combo

but sersiously - the ultimate minnow basher

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Round 2:

Jock Cameron vs Les Ames

Alan Knott vs Wasim Bari

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jock Cameron vs Les Ames

watson

Banned
Round 2:

Jock Cameron vs Les Ames

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Round 2:

Jock Cameron vs Les Ames

Red

(assuming this is for tests, cos otherwise I'd rethink - but probably not change - MSD vs Gilly)

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I nearly used the word longevity in my post describing Russell and healy but their test careers were nearly equal length in terms of years so it seems unfair
yeah, russell was probably still the best keeper in england by some distance at the age of 40.

he actually evolved and got even better post international career in those gloucestershrie teams lead by mark alleyne that kept upsetting the big boys and winning one day comps. he was immense up to the stumps versus the seamers.

fredfertang

Jock Cameron vs Les Ames

Gob

International Coach
I thought this is purely for keeping which would have been much more interesting. Gilly will walk this

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Jock Cameron vs Les Ames

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man the Russell vs Healy match up is worthy of the final. They were amazing keepers both.

Midwinter

State Captain
Jock Cameron vs Les Ames

Red

I thought this is purely for keeping which would have been much more interesting. Gilly will walk this
Wonder who'd be the best pure keeper?

Oldfield, Knott, Kirmani or Healy for me.

harsh.ag

Keepers who stood up to pacers > Keepers who didn't by default. Esp if they did a good job of it in the era of sticky pitches.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Seems like a weird way of determining that Adam Gilchrist is obviously and clearly the best ever if both keeping and batting are taken into account. Wasting bandwidth, really.