Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 104
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: SA Destinations T20 league

  1. #1
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    584

    SA Destinations T20 league

    So the venues the 8 franchisees can bid for has been announced:

    CSA #T20 Global Destination League Venues

    Suspect Cape Town, Durban, joburg and pretoria will get the big bids. Bloem and PE to follow. Will be interesting to see who gets the last 2 teams.

    Info we have so far:
    -Each team to be assigned a protea and international marque.
    -2 rookies need to be included in squad
    -Only players eligible for proteas gets classified as local
    -4 non local players per squad
    Last edited by Stefan9; 11-04-2017 at 05:34 AM.

  2. #2
    International 12th Man Marius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan9 View Post
    So the venues the 8 franchisees can bid for has been announced:

    CSA #T20 Global Destination League Venues

    Suspect Cape Town, Durban, joburg and pretoria will get the big bids. Bloem and PE to follow. Will be interesting to see who gets the last 2 teams.

    Info we have so far:
    -Each time to be assigned a protea and international marque.
    -2 rookies need to be included in squad
    -Only players eligible for proteas gets classified as local
    -4 non local players per squad
    And what about the racial purity laws?

    How many people of a particular race must each team have?

  3. #3
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    584
    Not seen anything on that yet.

  4. #4
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,277
    Don't think there is quotas for this. They have everything else for that. This is purely financial and to keep players here I reckon.

    zorax likes this.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,277
    2 extra venues ?

    Boland Park and Potch ?

    East London, Kimberley and Benoni should lose out to the two above for facilities and close proximity to Cape Town & Joburg.

  6. #6
    International 12th Man Marius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    2 extra venues ?

    Boland Park and Potch ?

    East London, Kimberley and Benoni should lose out to the two above for facilities and close proximity to Cape Town & Joburg.
    Benoni is half an hour drive from Jozi - Potch is 2 hours away.

    But Potch certainly has better facilities.

    EDIT: And in the interests of spreading the game around SA, it would make more sense for Potch and Slummies to get the other franchises, rather than Paarl or Benoni.
    Last edited by Marius; 11-04-2017 at 06:01 AM.

  7. #7
    International Vice-Captain StephenZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Africa / UK
    Posts
    4,831
    The East London and Potch seem most likely... cause one assumes money will be put in to update facilities. Not even PE has official international quality lights! Only international day games here.

    This could also determine who gets the 7/8th franchise domestically? (If there are ones!)

    Will probably have an age quota (like IPL) which may also be encouraged towards POC development!
    "Here are the opinions on which my facts are based." - Humanity
    "Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up and hurries on regardless." - Anonymous

  8. #8
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,277
    Just mis-worded it re: Potch being close to Joburg. Wasnt comparing it to Benoni for that, just quality of facilities and close enough to major city.

    Supposedly the owners will have a say on where the 8 grounds are. No way will they want quotas involved either on skin colour.

    No disrespect to EL, Kimberley or Benoni but I cant see international owners wanting to put their money into teams in those cities?
    Last edited by SeamUp; 11-04-2017 at 06:12 AM.
    Marius likes this.

  9. #9
    International 12th Man Marius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Just mis-worded it re: Potch being close to Joburg. Wasnt comparing it to Benoni for that, just quality of facilities and close enough to major city.

    Supposedly the owners will have a say on where the 8 grounds are. No way will they want quotas involved either on skin colour.
    Never watched a game at Potch, but it's apparently one of the nicest grounds in SA so even as a Benonian, I wouldn't mind if Willowmoore Park loses out.
    SeamUp likes this.

  10. #10
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    The East London and Potch seem most likely... cause one assumes money will be put in to update facilities. Not even PE has official international quality lights! Only international day games here.

    This could also determine who gets the 7/8th franchise domestically? (If there are ones!)

    Will probably have an age quota (like IPL) which may also be encouraged towards POC development!
    Think that is the 2 rookies per squad they have mentioned. Not sure what is the age cutoff.

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,277
    Franchise owners will be asked to consider the fact that some of these players, by virtue of having played for some years in South Africa, already hold strong ties to certain cities in South Africa.

    Each franchise team will also be allocated a Proteas marquee player.


    The marquee international players who have all agreed playing league contracts with CSA are:

    1) Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)

    2) Chris Gayle (West Indies)

    3) Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)

    4) Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)

    5) Eoin Morgan (England)

    6) Kevin Pietersen (England)

    7) Kieron Pollard (West Indies)

    8) Jason Roy (England)


    “We are thrilled by the calibre of the top eight international players we have lined up to participate in our new #T20 League,” CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat said.

    “They are all stars in their own right and will add great value to the franchise teams they will represent.

    “This top quality list of players will set a high standard for our tournament. With each one of them a household name in the world of cricket, we can certainly look forward to some enthralling contests that will grip the imagination of fans in South Africa and around the globe.

    “Coming from four different continents, these players confirm the global interest we have already seen. No doubt this will grow as other international stars register their interest to participate in our new #T20 League.

    “The high level of interest from players and sponsors to participate in our league is proof of the great attraction of South Africa as a global destination. This is indeed very exciting for the country.”

    Kevin Pietersen stated: “I am delighted to have signed for the new Global Destination T20 tournament in South Africa. South Africa, as everyone knows, is very close to my heart.

    “So being a part of something innovative in their cricketing structure really excites me. I am sure the public will support this wonderful creation, which will showcase a lot of the world’s best players.”

    Chris Gayle said: “I look forward to returning to South Africa as I have very happy memories of my time there. This included scoring the first ever century in T20 International cricket when the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 was held in South Africa in 2007.”

    Brendon McCullum added: “I very much enjoy the conditions in South Africa, and it was an easy decision to make myself available for this tournament. I enjoy the way South Africans play the game, and the way their fans interact with the players as well.”
    Marius likes this.

  12. #12
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    584
    I guess kp will go to the Durban team and pollard to the Cape team.

  13. #13
    International 12th Man Marius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Franchise owners will be asked to consider the fact that some of these players, by virtue of having played for some years in South Africa, already hold strong ties to certain cities in South Africa.

    Each franchise team will also be allocated a Proteas marquee player.


    The marquee international players who have all agreed playing league contracts with CSA are:

    1) Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)

    2) Chris Gayle (West Indies)

    3) Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)

    4) Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)

    5) Eoin Morgan (England)

    6) Kevin Pietersen (England)

    7) Kieron Pollard (West Indies)

    8) Jason Roy (England)
    Some big names there, great to see!

    And two Saffa-Poms.

    Where was Jason Roy from originally, I get the feeling it was also Natal?

  14. #14
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    584
    Pretty sure Roy is kzn born

  15. #15
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    584
    No transformation targets but they hope owners will adhere to their philosophies...

    No transformation targets for #T20 GDL

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I-League
    By sueflaki in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-07-2013, 03:57 AM
  2. In a League of Their Own
    By kyear2 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
  3. In A League Of their Own
    By fredfertang in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 08:42 AM
  4. Indian Cricket League and Indian premier league
    By chris.hinton in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-04-2008, 01:20 AM
  5. a new league!!
    By Bowl-A-Beamer in forum Cricket Web XI
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 15-03-2006, 02:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •