• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA Destinations T20 league

Stefan9

International Debutant
So the venues the 8 franchisees can bid for has been announced:

CSA #T20 Global Destination League Venues

Suspect Cape Town, Durban, joburg and pretoria will get the big bids. Bloem and PE to follow. Will be interesting to see who gets the last 2 teams.

Info we have so far:
-Each team to be assigned a protea and international marque.
-2 rookies need to be included in squad
-Only players eligible for proteas gets classified as local
-4 non local players per squad

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
So the venues the 8 franchisees can bid for has been announced:

CSA #T20 Global Destination League Venues

Suspect Cape Town, Durban, joburg and pretoria will get the big bids. Bloem and PE to follow. Will be interesting to see who gets the last 2 teams.

Info we have so far:
-Each time to be assigned a protea and international marque.
-2 rookies need to be included in squad
-Only players eligible for proteas gets classified as local
-4 non local players per squad
And what about the racial purity laws?

How many people of a particular race must each team have?

SeamUp

International Coach
Don't think there is quotas for this. They have everything else for that. This is purely financial and to keep players here I reckon.

SeamUp

International Coach
2 extra venues ?

Boland Park and Potch ?

East London, Kimberley and Benoni should lose out to the two above for facilities and close proximity to Cape Town & Joburg.

Marius

International Debutant
2 extra venues ?

Boland Park and Potch ?

East London, Kimberley and Benoni should lose out to the two above for facilities and close proximity to Cape Town & Joburg.
Benoni is half an hour drive from Jozi - Potch is 2 hours away.

But Potch certainly has better facilities.

EDIT: And in the interests of spreading the game around SA, it would make more sense for Potch and Slummies to get the other franchises, rather than Paarl or Benoni.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The East London and Potch seem most likely... cause one assumes money will be put in to update facilities. Not even PE has official international quality lights! Only international day games here.

This could also determine who gets the 7/8th franchise domestically? (If there are ones!)

Will probably have an age quota (like IPL) which may also be encouraged towards POC development!

SeamUp

International Coach
Just mis-worded it re: Potch being close to Joburg. Wasnt comparing it to Benoni for that, just quality of facilities and close enough to major city.

Supposedly the owners will have a say on where the 8 grounds are. No way will they want quotas involved either on skin colour.

No disrespect to EL, Kimberley or Benoni but I cant see international owners wanting to put their money into teams in those cities?

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Just mis-worded it re: Potch being close to Joburg. Wasnt comparing it to Benoni for that, just quality of facilities and close enough to major city.

Supposedly the owners will have a say on where the 8 grounds are. No way will they want quotas involved either on skin colour.
Never watched a game at Potch, but it's apparently one of the nicest grounds in SA so even as a Benonian, I wouldn't mind if Willowmoore Park loses out.

Stefan9

International Debutant
The East London and Potch seem most likely... cause one assumes money will be put in to update facilities. Not even PE has official international quality lights! Only international day games here.

This could also determine who gets the 7/8th franchise domestically? (If there are ones!)

Will probably have an age quota (like IPL) which may also be encouraged towards POC development!
Think that is the 2 rookies per squad they have mentioned. Not sure what is the age cutoff.

SeamUp

International Coach
Franchise owners will be asked to consider the fact that some of these players, by virtue of having played for some years in South Africa, already hold strong ties to certain cities in South Africa.

Each franchise team will also be allocated a Proteas marquee player.

The marquee international players who have all agreed playing league contracts with CSA are:

1) Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)

2) Chris Gayle (West Indies)

3) Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)

4) Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)

5) Eoin Morgan (England)

6) Kevin Pietersen (England)

7) Kieron Pollard (West Indies)

8) Jason Roy (England)

“We are thrilled by the calibre of the top eight international players we have lined up to participate in our new #T20 League,” CSA chief executive Haroon Lorgat said.

“They are all stars in their own right and will add great value to the franchise teams they will represent.

“This top quality list of players will set a high standard for our tournament. With each one of them a household name in the world of cricket, we can certainly look forward to some enthralling contests that will grip the imagination of fans in South Africa and around the globe.

“Coming from four different continents, these players confirm the global interest we have already seen. No doubt this will grow as other international stars register their interest to participate in our new #T20 League.

“The high level of interest from players and sponsors to participate in our league is proof of the great attraction of South Africa as a global destination. This is indeed very exciting for the country.”

Kevin Pietersen stated: “I am delighted to have signed for the new Global Destination T20 tournament in South Africa. South Africa, as everyone knows, is very close to my heart.

“So being a part of something innovative in their cricketing structure really excites me. I am sure the public will support this wonderful creation, which will showcase a lot of the world’s best players.”

Chris Gayle said: “I look forward to returning to South Africa as I have very happy memories of my time there. This included scoring the first ever century in T20 International cricket when the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 was held in South Africa in 2007.”

Brendon McCullum added: “I very much enjoy the conditions in South Africa, and it was an easy decision to make myself available for this tournament. I enjoy the way South Africans play the game, and the way their fans interact with the players as well.”

Marius

International Debutant
Franchise owners will be asked to consider the fact that some of these players, by virtue of having played for some years in South Africa, already hold strong ties to certain cities in South Africa.

Each franchise team will also be allocated a Proteas marquee player.

The marquee international players who have all agreed playing league contracts with CSA are:

1) Dwayne Bravo (West Indies)

2) Chris Gayle (West Indies)

3) Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)

4) Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)

5) Eoin Morgan (England)

6) Kevin Pietersen (England)

7) Kieron Pollard (West Indies)

8) Jason Roy (England)
Some big names there, great to see!

And two Saffa-Poms.

Where was Jason Roy from originally, I get the feeling it was also Natal?

brockley

International Captain
This will gut the BBL 6 of the 8 players play the Bash,couldn't CSA have chosen a different time to hold it.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Protea Marque players announced:

De Villiers, Amla among marquee local signings for CSA T20ESPNCRICINFO STAFF 8 Share on Facebook Share on Twitter 1K shares

AB de Villiers is set to find a new T20 home when CSA's T20 League kicks off in November © Getty Images
AB de Villiers, the ODI captain, and Hashim Amla are among eight marquee South Africa players for the inaugural franchise-based CSA T20 League to be played in November-December this year. This follows the signing of eight marquee international players - Chris Gayle, Kevin Pietersen, Brendon McCullum, Dwayne Bravo, Lasith Malinga, Eoin Morgan, Kieron Pollard and Jason Roy - last week.

Each marquee South Africa player will represent a new franchise based in the city he's been associated with or "a city which he can build a strong association." The other marquee local players are Quinton de Kock, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, the T20 and Test captain, David Miller, Kagiso Rabada and Imran Tahir.

"The selection of our own South African marquee players has been very exciting. It will be even more exciting when we engage fans to help us to allocate the hometown hero to each franchise team," Haroon Lorgat, the CSA chief executive, said. "This announcement is another major step towards establishing our new T20 League.

"We must not understate the world-class quality of our own players. They are household names across the world, and our fans in South Africa will finally get the chance to see them compete against one another at home. Together with the international marquee players announced last week, the Protea stars will add great value to the new franchise teams they will represent."

Along with the marquee local player, each franchise will also be allocated one international marquee player, effectively ensuring the eight franchises will start with two marquee players ahead of the draft system that will help complete the 17-member squad.
AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla among marquee local signings for CSA T20 | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo