• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA Destinations T20 league

SeamUp

International Coach
I would imagine local t20 could fill gap but quota rules are too much for the Titans so that hurts that theory.

SeamUp

International Coach
SACA say the players are desperately disappointed and will be have discussions with CSA over all implications including compensation now.

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder if some players turned down contracts elsewhere for this
That's exactly it.

And it will be difficult to limit that as many players will believe they could have.

I mean what about the internationals because that is just SACA and them giving up BPL too.

Heboric

International Debutant
That's exactly it.

And it will be difficult to limit that as many players will believe they could have.

I mean what about the internationals because that is just SACA and them giving up BPL too.
This cancellation could cause so much damage. Sigh

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
CSA in talks with PCB for a series to fill this spot.

We've become best of mates it seems.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cross fingers.... hope they can sort something. Could be a good series.
Would be very good but still feel for the non-internationals and that is who SACA will fight for.

On the cricket side of things : 3 tests and 3-match 50-over series would be nice.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Would be very good but still feel for the non-internationals and that is who SACA will fight for.

On the cricket side of things : 3 tests and 3-match 50-over series would be nice.
The screw up was because of finding revenue for the non-internationals... but I dont think that the way to do it was by creating our own Tw20, market is already saturated.

I always wondered if their could be a case made where SA (or buisness therin) could sponser non-international 'franchise' team from SA players that could go play as an extra team in the BBL or IPL, would create an extra added international interest... probably to much logistsic and money problems but maybe something like that...

SeamUp

International Coach
The screw up was because of finding revenue for the non-internationals... but I dont think that the way to do it was by creating our own Tw20, market is already saturated.

I always wondered if their could be a case made where SA (or buisness therin) could sponser non-international 'franchise' team from SA players that could go play as an extra team in the BBL or IPL, would create an extra added international interest... probably to much logistsic and money problems but maybe something like that...
Would be nice. I guess finance is the issue there. Where is their home ground ? Remember when our domestic teams used to go to Australia. That is where they first saw a young Kallis and Gibbs for WP on a tour there and they were making people sit up and take notice. Then they had the world domestic T20 and that got stopped.

I guess they wanted their own T20 Franchise league as almost everyone has got it and it is the way to get investment because people want their own brand (league). I guess that is where these people will see their returns.

Heboric

International Debutant
I may have misheard but is one of the franchise owners also owns Mavericks.

That franchise wont have a problem with cheerleaders... :naughty: :naughty:

SeamUp

International Coach
It's been such a cluster**** so might as well get the government involved.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has reached another stumbling block in its efforts to launch its ground-breaking T20 League.

Originally called the T20 Global League, the tournament was scrapped just weeks before it was due to be launched at the end of 2017 when the absence of a broadcast sponsor saw the CSA board pull the plug.

This year, under new leadership, CSA has gone forward with plans to re-launch.

The tournament will have a name change, will be jointly-owned by CSA and broadcasters SuperSport and will feature six franchises as opposed to eight.

One of the major issues, however, is that at least four of the original franchise owners from the failed 2017 product have threatened legal action against CSA, who cannot guarantee that they will be team owners in the new-look 2018 edition.

To make matters worse, government is now getting involved too.

According to Cricinfo's Firdose Moonda, South African sports minister Tokozile Xasa has been asked to consider issuing a moratorium that would stop the board from taking any further developments without first consulting government.

The request to the sports minister came from the Democratic Alliance's Darren Bergman.

"While I do not believe that politicians should interfere in the running of sports and that we are best placed to play a supportive role, I am concerned that Cricket SA has the potential to risk major reputational and financial loss both to the sports as well as to the players and sponsors. This could have a negative impact locally and internationally," Cricinfo quote Bergman as saying in a letter to Xasa.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
WTF. DA is starting to go the same way as the ANC... terrifying. Absolute protest party in the making. But I suppose that it nothing new in sport in SA or anywhere else in the world.