• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Off Season 2017

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
As written in The Mercury today, Kingston and rookie listed Ryan Lees are believed to be two names who will be axed from Tasmania's list. The Mercury also reports they are after two players from interstate. If I hear anymore rumours I'll keep you all in the loop.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
To brockley, Ben Rohrer has indeed been recruited by the Tigers. Not surprisingly it is not as a player. It's an off field role as their talent scout. He would have been a depth player only if he was recruited for those purposes. I expect there will be at least 2 vacancies from their rookie list next year too.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't know what CA mean by "grassroots". They're certainly not injecting money into clubs, plenty of whom have to work ****ing hard just to stay afloat.

Players at club level pay fees and memberships. Kids doing Milo or HaveAGo or whatever that's called now pay for it. And local councils generally maintain the ovals etc.

So as for "grassroots", what are they even talking about?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
‘Grassroots’ seems a trendy buzzword used by Oz sporting associations to justify their ever-inflated admin and budgets.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Good lord.
It's been a week or so since I read Buchanan's recommendations, but
18486-200.png
**** off to a couple of them like the potential for no Ashes Tests and extending the BBL franchises to one-day cricket too.:blink:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't know what CA mean by "grassroots". They're certainly not injecting money into clubs, plenty of whom have to work ****ing hard just to stay afloat.

Players at club level pay fees and memberships. Kids doing Milo or HaveAGo or whatever that's called now pay for it. And local councils generally maintain the ovals etc.

So as for "grassroots", what are they even talking about?
I think what you'll see will be more paid help in local regions.

For example, Cricket Victoria employs a "Regional Cricket Manager", sixteen across the state. I think this will be further supported by CA, and offer a more proactive role - seeking out clubs - rather than waiting for clubs to come to them to ask for help, which RCMs have to do at the moment because their workload (during cricket season especially) is too large, and measurement of their role usually revolves simply around participation.

Red

I think what you'll see will be more paid help in local regions.

For example, Cricket Victoria employs a "Regional Cricket Manager", sixteen across the state. I think this will be further supported by CA, and offer a more proactive role - seeking out clubs - rather than waiting for clubs to come to them to ask for help, which RCMs have to do at the moment because their workload (during cricket season especially) is too large, and measurement of their role usually revolves simply around participation.
The problem is that the participation that these RCM are facilitating isn't really developing or growing the game (from the samples I've seen). They are basically putting on Kanga Cricket comps for local primary schools where a bunch of schools in close proximity compete on one day against one another.

brockley

International Captain
CT can confirm that players Dom Michael, Cameron Wheatley and Ryan
Lees won’t be offered contracts for the 17-18 season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A little bit surprised about Michael. I think it's fair to say he shouldn't be in the Shield team again, but he's got his 50 over game down pat so you'd think Tasmania would've kept him around just for that. He's literally averaging 50 after 25 games; I don't think they're in a position to toss that away unless they're just not worried about the 50 over competition whatsoever.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A lot could happen by the time Tasmania next play an OD match but perhaps George Bailey and James Faulkner missing out on CA contracts and being available has ruined Michael's chances. Or maybe it was his woeful Big Bash record and bad Shield record that make his List A record appear better than he actually is.

A little from column a, a little from column b.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
The Mercury reports that Michael left Tasmania to return to Queensland for family and personal reasons, so it's debatable that he was or would have been outright axed. If that wasn't the case my gut feeling told me he would have been given another year.
Not surprised on the other two axings tbt.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The problem is that the participation that these RCM are facilitating isn't really developing or growing the game (from the samples I've seen). They are basically putting on Kanga Cricket comps for local primary schools where a bunch of schools in close proximity compete on one day against one another.
Doesn't that illustrate the point? RCMs get into the schools, provide an introduction to help encourage kids to take up Milo In2Cricket, which the clubs administrate.

The clubs need some help, their point of contact is the RCM - or the competition, who if they need further assistance go to the RCM.

Red

Doesn't that illustrate the point? RCMs get into the schools, provide an introduction to help encourage kids to take up Milo In2Cricket, which the clubs administrate.

The clubs need some help, their point of contact is the RCM - or the competition, who if they need further assistance go to the RCM.
I think that is the point but I think you'll find it's not really translating into juniors playing cricket in local comps. I'd be surprised if it was.

I saw the format run a few times a few years ago and basically schools would be invited to participate to one day a year, and the schools'd pick their best cricketers (usually kids already playing U12s locally) to try and win the comp.

It'd be far better for the RCMs to actually establish a proper U12s comp between local schools that runs for say 8 weeks a year. Call it "Davey Warner's Kid's Big Bash" or some ****. Get rid of under 12s at club level and then try to attract kids to clubs once the comp is done.

Another thing that'd be good is if clubs started encouraging junior kit again. Have stuff for kids to use. Seems to have stopped. Forking out a few hundred bucks for kit probably stops a lot of families from participating.