• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Off Season 2017

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: Mark Taylor, iirc back during the late 90s dispute didn't he try to basically go around the ACA leadership and try to broker a peace deal with the cricket admin directly which wasn't well received by the players or ACA? It seems even back then he wasn't a fan of the concept of the ACA and how they go about things.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm so glad sometimes I got injured while I was young and never made the big times so I wouldn't have to put up with this baloney.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, as I posted yesterday he and his anti-union ideology seems to be driving this. Heard it from somebody with some inside knowledge several months ago so as depressing as it is, haven't been surprised by how CA have been since then. It almost seems to be a matter of principle as opposed to greed which actually is worse because they'll be harder to budge on it.
Players should absolutely go on strike if this is the case. The gall of CA to believe that the administrators own the game and the players are merely their employees.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, remember when they wined and dined Smith and Lenning early in the summer? And obviously you've got the contract offers to the big 5, and Taylor saying on C9 saying he thinks the ACA is not guiding the players correctly. They're not being terribly subtle with what they're doing, and the lack of grief they're getting is a bit depressing,

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Am I right in thinking that your average shield player can earn roughly a quarter of a million bucks per year?

That's a massive amount of money for just an average pro
Not your average shield player. And if you're a shield player who isn't suited to T20 cricket, then that's a long way away.

brockley

International Captain
James is certainly not helping his son's career along by accounts of this,he may choose Footy for more money and less worry being Jame's son.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Players should absolutely go on strike if this is the case. The gall of CA to believe that the administrators own the game and the players are merely their employees.
I remember Greg Chappell saying something similar about WSC; the game isn't about the administration, it's the players and fans who make the game.

I have to wonder how this mentality has developed within CA; I can only summarise that after the Big Bash succeded more than anybody dreamed they've become arrogant and conceited and think they can get away with this.

Also interesting how Mark Taylor will go from here. He's always had the affable, Mr Goodbar persona but surely this damages it, especially in the eyes of the players. Would they be happy being interviewed by him (let alone letting him in the dressing room after a series victory) after his public stances on this?

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I noticed CA criticising the ACA for being oppositional to new features like The Big Bash & D/N Test cricket amongst other things. And to be fair to CA they have a point; ACA's moaning about playing D/N Tests seemed particularly stodgy and needless; this is not a justification of CA's current behaviour but I reckon it explains why they're treating them with such disdain presently.

brockley

International Captain
The Australian produced an anti player article targetting the exuberance and state of flux of Dave Warner and Steve Smith,the CA getting very nasty targetting players.
It basically said Joe public is being robbed.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Text of the article because **** The Australian.

Australian cricket captain Steve Smith is on a retainer of $1.2 million from Cricket Australia and he pockets $14,000 every time he pulls on a baggy green and runs out in a Test match.

When he sits down with his overworked accountant and adds up all the IPL payments, endorsements and sponsorship deals, the skipper’s annual income amounts to something well north of $3m.

His deputy Dave Warner trousers more than $4 million. He drives the wife and kids to the supermarket in a $450,000 Lamborghini Huracan and once bought a house for $6.25 million then sold it for $7 million.

How do these people get by?

Clearly, they’re on Struggle Street, because Smith and Warner are leading the charge as Australia’s cricketers man the barricades in a pay dispute that is threatening the Ashes series this year.

Cricket Australia is seeking to replace the existing revenue-sharing model with new contracts as part of a wider restructure of remuneration throughout the game — a move that has left Smith, Warner and their teammates unimpressed.

So unimpressed that Warner has suggested that Austalia “might not have a team for the Ashes”.

Mitchell Starc, whose Cricket Australia retainer is a mere $900,000, has also hinted at a strike on social media, strongly supported by Shane Watson, for many years the country’s highest-paid cricketer.

All of them, of course, will say that they are taking a stand for players at the lower level of the game. The domestic cricketers who are only pocketing salaries of $200,000 or so for playing a game.

But the truth is, these multi-millionaires in flannel are threatening to rob Australian sports fans of the greatest spectacle on our shores, the Ashes.

The five-Test Ashes series — something that we only get to enjoy in Australia once every four years — is being held to ransom.

Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland, in what was perhaps not the most subtle email he has ever sent, has threatened players will not be paid if they don’t sign on the dotted line by June 30.

That raises the prospect of the Ashes beginning in November with a team of second stringers. State players with existing long-term contracts could be drafted in to replace nationally contracted players. Moises Henriques’ name has been mentioned.

And who suffers from that? Not the players. Almost all of them have lucrative Twenty20 contracts to ensure that even if they lose their central contract, they won’t be starving on the picket line.

The ones to suffer will be cricket fans. We’ll either miss out on the Ashes all together or we’ll get to sit through dreary contests in which Joe Root’s men wipe the floor with a bunch of Sheffield Shield players.

The Ashes, at home or in England, is the holy grail of Australian sport. Not only the most prestigious and popular series in cricket, not only the most lucrative source of income for the game. It is the greatest contest in Australian sport.

For a bunch of multi-millionaires to be threatening to deprive us of it so they can keep up the payments on their latest Lamborghini is an outrage. ​
I mean I know it's a rag but even by the bottom-rung standards of The Oz, this is laughable.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
God The Australian is diabolical. From this to their anti science campaign against climate chance, they don't deserve the title of a broadsheet. Slumming it with the Daily Mail in the UK is where they belong.