• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Off Season 2017

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What if all this is just CA's newest attempt to get out of playing tests against Bangladesh

It's a bit interesting that Sutherland has stayed totally out of this and now makes this public stance, it's almost as if he's taking the bullet.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I heard from someone with a bit of inside knowledge a few months ago that this was likely to escalate because CA's new stance wasn't driven by money but by ideology.

Apparently new chairman David Peever and his corporate ethos is a big driver behind this and they are going to be ruthless in getting this change.

For multiple reasons this is a dangerous method of CA; in particular the world cricket situation now where a good T20 player can make a very good living without playing for Oz.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Its insane. Aus players getting a percentage of the cut is so good for them and I wouldn't want them to change that. Putting them on a bull**** salary will do more harm than good. **** those corporate ****s.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Cricket is already losing young players to AFL. Take away remuneration and that will only get worse. Can't think that a players strike will be good for anyone though.

brockley

International Captain
The A tour to S Africa in July could be a blue print for the Bangladesh tour if players strike,thats if state players go on the A tour.
Could be a case of union players v non union players,and create unecesary division between players.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You'd have to be mad not to be a union player. The ACA has mostly worked to ensure the players at the bottom end of the professional spectrum are well looked after at the expense of the top end.

Australian cricket is only strong because the domestic competitions are strong. Take away the revenue sharing and you weaken the sport.

social

You'd have to be mad not to be a union player. The ACA has mostly worked to ensure the players at the bottom end of the professional spectrum are well looked after at the expense of the top end.

Australian cricket is only strong because the domestic competitions are strong. Take away the revenue sharing and you weaken the sport.
Am I right in thinking that your average shield player can earn roughly a quarter of a million bucks per year?

That's a massive amount of money for just an average pro

stephen

Your average shield player is on under $100k but can earn about $150k if they play every game.

Averages are skewed by the guys at the top of the tree.

Given an average shields player might have a shelf life of 7-10 years in the sport and not much in the way of transferable skills after retirement I think that kind of salary is quite reasonable.

Spikey

Obviously first of all you have to consider the source, an CA board member, and whether a player would genuinely reveal such an a idea in a heartfelt manner to a board member. (ie it's been said, but it's just a threat)

But I mean, in December, CA tried to wine and dine Steve Smith and Meg Lenning. We all know what that was about. By January I think everyone knew this was gonna be a long, drawn out affair. It's not a surprise the players might be trying to play hard ball too.

Spikey

"And so here we are, seven weeks from the end of the current MOU [memorandum of understanding] and we have been forced to an unhappy conclusion: that for all the posturing Cricket Australia do not want to deal on any terms except their own. And we are all left wondering whether 30 June is CA's real deadline," wrote ACA president Greg Dyer.
I was kinda joking about the Banga tour thing, but I reckon CA would probably take a cancelled banga tour if it means they break the union and make some more cash for themselves

stephen

It's pretty clear that CA are doing this to lock in the extra profits. The thing is though that they are dealing with elite athletes, not unskilled workers. Firing the athletes isn't going to work and you absolutely want them on side so that they will promote the game.

I always thought that non-disposable shares should be part of every employees salary package because it creates the right incentives for staff. The same applies here. The revenue sharing is very important for the long term health of the game.

Whoever is driving the CA and their position on this should be given the axe and the status quo should be retained.

social

I can understand CA's point as % of revenue doesnt take into a/c cost BUT it smacks of the Rio Tinto guy trying to break another union

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I can understand CA's point as % of revenue doesnt take into a/c cost BUT it smacks of the Rio Tinto guy trying to break another union
Yeah, as I posted yesterday he and his anti-union ideology seems to be driving this. Heard it from somebody with some inside knowledge several months ago so as depressing as it is, haven't been surprised by how CA have been since then. It almost seems to be a matter of principle as opposed to greed which actually is worse because they'll be harder to budge on it.