• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team Aggregate Player Ratings, Best Teams, Batting Line-ups and Bowling Attacks

viriya

International Captain
Introducing Peak Ratings - an attempt to find the best teams, batting line-ups and bowling attacks in history for Tests and ODIs.

The methodology is pretty simple. For each team, the current batting and bowling ratings of its players at each match is aggregated and stored historically. To identify the best teams/batting line-ups/bowling attacks in history, peak ratings (where the aggregate rating before and after the considered match is lower) are used.

Some of the interesting views from this exercise:

- Best Test teams (by aggregate player current ratings) of all-time: cricrate | Peak Ratings - Test Player (some interesting teams near the top)
- Best Test batting line-ups of all-time: cricrate | Peak Ratings - Test Batting (usual suspects at the top)
- Best ODI bowling attacks of all-time: cricrate | Peak Ratings - ODI Bowling
- Sri Lanka ODI aggregate player rating over time: cricrate | Sri Lanka - ODI Player (currently as bad as the early 90s :-O)

For Tests, the batting ratings of all players who batted for the team are considered, while the first 5 to bowl are considered for bowling ratings. The aggregate bowling rating is adjusted by a factor of 1.5 to account for the importance of bowling in Tests and better line-up when aggregating with the batting ratings.
For ODIs, the batting ratings of the first 8 to bat are considered, with bowling ratings constituting the first 6 to bowl.
This is to ensure that a multitude of bits-and-pieces players don't skew the comparisons between teams.

An important point is that Team ratings and Team player ratings are different - one is based on just the results of matches the other is the aggregate of the current player ratings as of the match considered.

Appreciate any feedback!

cc12.pngcc13.png

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Is there a falloff for the 5th bowler?

Also there's something wrong about the Test batting page right now, it's not showing anything up.

viriya

International Captain
Is there a falloff for the 5th bowler?

Also there's something wrong about the Test batting page right now, it's not showing anything up.
You mean did I adjust the 5th bowler rating? No. Just the first 5 bowlers to bowl aggregated.

Had wrong link up - try again.

indiaholic

International Captain
How difficult would it be to check whether the average rating for teams has been rising over time? Like if you compare the average rating for Australia over say a period of 5 year blocks, is there an increasing trend?

viriya

International Captain
How difficult would it be to check whether the average rating for teams has been rising over time? Like if you compare the average rating for Australia over say a period of 5 year blocks, is there an increasing trend?
You can check the team page - it shows the aggregate overall team player/batting/bowling rating over time so even more granular than average:

cricrate | Australia - Test Player

smash84

The Tiger King
doing some impressive work, as i said earlier, this has come a long way.

Are you keeping track of how many hits you are getting on your website? It should start going up pretty soon i reckon.

viriya

International Captain
doing some impressive work, as i said earlier, this has come a long way.

Are you keeping track of how many hits you are getting on your website? It should start going up pretty soon i reckon.
Yea I've been from the start. Facebook likes have been steadily increasing but so far not much change in traffic. The site is really just for cricket + stats nerds and that is quite a minority :D