• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is India better off with Dravid as Captain?

mkamdar

Cricket Spectator
Is the Indian team better off with Dravid leading the side and retaining Yuvi and obviously excluding Ganguly? Also, I think Zaheer had been unimpressive and I think Agarkar will do better. I am inclined to believe that with Agarkar for the second test - India is going to be better off in the 2nd test. Tell me what u learned folks think.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
mkamdar said:
Is the Indian team better off with Dravid leading the side and retaining Yuvi and obviously excluding Ganguly? Also, I think Zaheer had been unimpressive and I think Agarkar will do better. I am inclined to believe that with Agarkar for the second test - India is going to be better off in the 2nd test. Tell me what u learned folks think.
Agarkar is even more inconsistent than Zaheer. As for Dravid over Ganguly as captain, this one performance is not enough for me to prefer him over Saurav. One thing going for Rahul is that he is an indispensable member of the team while Ganguly at times has held on to his place only by virtue of being captain.

mkamdar

Cricket Spectator
The fact that Ganguly has been able to retain his place in the side by the virtue of being the captain rather than consistency in performance is exactly my premise in posing the question that may be we are better off with Dravid as the captain. Granted that in the match - winning the toss was crucial but it seems that he definitely has been sharp in field placement and bowling changes etc. I like Sourav's fieryness and attitude, but I am not enamored with his performance off late with the bat. I don't think he was ever a great fielder.

As far as ZK, 6 months ago - he was the most consistent seamer and was really a strike bowler - took wickets regularly. He has not looked like his old self since his injury in Australia - granted that this was his first tour on the comeback trail. It is because of this that I think that perhaps with Agarkar in the side for the 2nd test, we may be better off. I really hope that ZK regains his old form - and if and when he does - Pathan and Khan will be a terrific pairing for India. The third paceman can be picked from amongst Balaji, Agarkar, Nehra, Salvi etc.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
mkamdar said:
The fact that Ganguly has been able to retain his place in the side by the virtue of being the captain rather than consistency in performance is exactly my premise in posing the question that may be we are better off with Dravid as the captain.
And that fact suggests to me he's the right man for the job, since his captaincy adds a lot to the team.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Do not forget it was Ganguley's century against the Australians at the first test at the Gabba that set the tone for the entire tour. Captaincy is more than about pure statistics.

|llsToNe

Cricket Spectator
nonsense.. besides the fact that he's such an accomplished and proven player (who at least has earned more time than this to return to form with the bat) he's a much needed presence on this team.. he provides the fire and swagger that was missing from Indian teams of the past while also taking the pressure off the players since he's such a magnet for criticism from fans and media alike (and seemingly can handle it), which cannot be discounted as a factor in their performance in a cricket media hotbed like India.. personally I think Ganguly and Dravid make up the perfect combination of captain and vice captain, especially personality wise.

Last edited:

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
The thing is that this is essentially Ganguly's team. It was he who changed a team of talented underachievers to a winning combination. At the moment, it matters little whether it is Dravid, Kumble or Laxman who leads the team. Most of the hard work has been done already and whoever is the captain will benefit out of it.

Craig

World Traveller
mavric41 said:
Do not forget it was Ganguley's century against the Australians at the first test at the Gabba that set the tone for the entire tour. Captaincy is more than about pure statistics.
Oh yeah.

That 144 was probably the best innings by Ganguly I have seen and probably his best of his Test career.

Yet to some Indians he is just useless despite his record.

indianreligion

School Boy/Girl Captain
if u tell any of the following players (sehwag,kaif,yuvraj,agarkar,z.khan,powar) that ganguly will step down and dravid will captain the side for years to come, i believe that for quite a bit of time they will not perform to their potential.
ganguly brings out the best in his team mates and that's wat makes him a great leader.
and ganguly is not as bad a player as some of u imagine him to be . test average:41.75
odi average: 42.12

and he's got 9309 runs in odi s

Last edited:

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Maybe someone should ask Sachin about whether he wants Dravid or Ganguly as captain - 194 not out......declared. :lol:

I wonder if Ganguly would have allowed him his 200?

Newlands

Cricket Spectator
NO to what exactly? There are several discussions within this topic. No to Dravid over Ganguly? No to Sachin being allowed his 200?

:duh: :duh:

Anyway, I wouldn't put Dravid in as Captain over Ganguly although he can step in when required, I don't think it would be a good move on the Indians part. As someone else suggested, Dravid as Vice Captain to Ganguly's Captain is the better combination.

Well, I have to admit, I was a little annoyed at Sachin not getting his 200. Still, it's better to be 194 not out rather than 194 OUT which he might have been in the next ball had it been bowled. You never know! :P

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Blewy said:
Great argument.. You've convinced me completely with those words of wisdom...
I take it you dont have an opinion on this topic ..Thanks anyways for dedicating your post to me. ;) :P

As far as convincing you is concerned, I would have If you were the incharge. :lol:

Craig

World Traveller
Kenny said:
Maybe someone should ask Sachin about whether he wants Dravid or Ganguly as captain - 194 not out......declared. :lol:

I wonder if Ganguly would have allowed him his 200?
Well he declared on Dravid on 92 at the SCG.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Well he declared on Dravid on 92 at the SCG.
cos he got injured on 92.
anyway ganguly said that it was team management's mistake to not let sachin complete his double, so that clarifies it.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
As much as I dislike Ganguly the person, Ganguly the captain has certainly made this Indian team a more powerful force. Ganguly is much better than Dravid.