• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall Vs Ambrose

Who was the superior fast bowler in test cricket?

• Malcolm Marshall

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Curtly Ambrose

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Can't split them

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

watson

Banned
About the only minor dent in Curtly's CV that I can find is his record against India.

Tests = 9
Wickets = 15
Ave = 38
SR = 99

Interestingly enough Ambrose never toured India so he would have been bowling against the Indians on his home turf.

So does anyone know why he had relatively little impact against the Indian batsman? Doesn't really make much sense at face value.

bagapath

International Captain
About the only minor dent in Curtly's CV that I can find is his record against India.

Tests = 9
Wickets = 15
Ave = 38
SR = 99

Interestingly enough Ambrose never toured India so he would have been bowling against the Indians on his home turf.

So does anyone know why he had relatively little impact against the Indian batsman? Doesn't really make much sense at face value.
his numbers versus india are majorly dented from his first series against them in which he picked up 5 wickets in 4 tests for about 54 runs apiece. it was early in his career; so i guess he was still figuring out his game. marshall led the attack with walsh for support. ambrose and bishop were the youngsters learning the ropes from the veterans. since india lost the series 0-3 to windies, i guess ambrose's performance didnt hurt his team.

next time around, eight years later when ambrose was probably the best fast bowler in the world, west indies beat india 1-0 in a five test series. ambrose picked up 10 wickets for 30. in the series deciding game, he picked up five for 110 including 3 for 36 when india was chasing a small target. in an earlier, high-scoring game he picked up his only five-fer against india for 87. he would probably have been happy with his performance in that series.

so, overall, he may not have too many regrets about his career including his show against india though the numbers do look a little weird.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
his numbers versus india are majorly dented from his first series against them in which he picked up 5 wickets in 4 tests for about 54 runs apiece. it was early in his career; so i guess he was still figuring out his game. marshall led the attack with walsh for support. ambrose and bishop were the youngsters learning the ropes from the veterans. since india lost the series 0-3 to windies, i guess ambrose's performance didnt hurt his team.
That's one for the "best pace bowlers not opening the bowling" thread, since Ambrose took the new ball in all 4 Tests and Bishop in 3 of them; though after Ambrose's performances in England/Australia before that, it probably wasn't intentional (and Bishop - 16@23 - had a fine first series).

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i was thinking last week of doing a west indies pace bowlers ranking thread where people submit their top 10 west indies quicks and we get an overall rating but this beat me to the punch

marshall at #1 and ambrose at #2 seems to be set in stone, with roberts a likely #5 and holding and garner probably #3 and #4 respectively, but maybe it would switch around.

what about 6 through 10? wes hall, walsh, croft, clarke and bishop? or would learie and martindale get a run. or what about gilchrist and griffiths

food for thought

Days of Grace

International Captain
Walsh's rating would depend on how posters rate longevity. He is only 1 point behind Holding in terms of average but with double the amount of wickets.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
yeah walsh should be a lock for top 5. just kept getting better and better with age.

marshall
ambrose
holding
walsh
garner

mr_mister

its weird because on this forum i dont see much love for walsh

back when i watched them together as a youngun i thought him and ambrose must be considered basically equals, yet that is not the case now

why does walsh not get as much love and respect as ambrose?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

back when i watched them together as a youngun i thought him and ambrose must be considered basically equals, yet that is not the case now

Wasn't quite as good.

stephen

Why do people rate Steyn ahead of Philander?

harsh.ag

Walsh is underrated here. Have thought so for a while now. He is right up there with Andy Roberts.

stephen

I kinda feel like Roberts began the era of WI fast bowling greats and Walsh ended it. In between was Marshall, Ambrose, Garner and Holding, who were marginally better than the bookends and Bishop, Croft and a few others who were almost as good.

After Walsh the WI fast bowling production line fell off a cliff, seemingly for no reason. In reality most of the tall fast bowling talent got sucked into other sports (basketball, athletics - in Bolt's case, sprinting) because of money and island politics.

harsh.ag

Final 64 tests for Walsh, from 1995 beginning to 2001, resulted in 280 wickets @23.22 with a SR of 57.

That's a full ATG career right there :happy:

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Final 64 tests for Walsh, from 1995 beginning to 2001, resulted in 280 wickets @23.22 with a SR of 57.

That's a full ATG career right there :happy:
Walsh got better and better as he got older and he became the leader of the attack ahead of Ambrose towards the end. The numbers reflect that.

Gets points in my book for being a lovely bloke as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall will win this easily so I voted 'can't split them' because even if Marshall is better, I can't go against Curtly.

stephen

And that's why he was the first fast bowler to have over 500 test wickets?
Walsh wasn't as good as Ambrose, which is not to say he was in any way bad. But Ambrose was an absolute beast and up there as the non-Australian bowler I feared most in my time watching the game. Walsh was more akin to Philander in the current SA lineup in that he takes lots of wickets pretty much unnoticed next to the flashier Steyn.

Walsh was an ATG but Ambrose was better. And that's no slight against Walsh.