• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee using 'Áustralian rhyming slang' on Indian TV - 'Absolutely Salmon'

Cricketinsights

Cricket Spectator
We noticed Brett Lee using 'Australian rhyming slang' on the telecast which is going to all of India and many parts of the world. Found it quite amusing. Dont think too many people would know what 'Absolutely Salmon' would mean.

We made a video to explain it (hope admin is ok if i share the link) : 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnmCxO-ono

Cheers,
Dan

Victor Ian

International Coach
Thankyou for explaining it.

Rhyming slang is stupid. It's embarrassing that Aussies try to Aussie themselves up using it.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is an education listening to Australian commentators.

I've noticed Australians use bat pad for silly point and short leg. In England you hear bat pad used sometimes for short leg but rarely silly point. I've only once heard an Australian commentator use silly point. I have also noticed that they use sundries for extras. The wickets first thing still confuses me - especially if the run total is below ten!! ''Pumped (up)'' - Warne uses this all the time. ''Davey Warner is absolutely pumped''. Is that an Americanism that the Aussies copy or genuine Aussie slang? And there is the new one I've discovered: ''that's for sure'' after everything - Brett Lee likes this. I have just discovered this in the Indian series: ''Pujara is certainly helping his team out here that is for sure''; ''Starc certainly bowls quick that's for sure''.

PS

The Michelle one was explained by Warne once so I knew that one.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I've noticed Australians use bat pad for silly point and short leg. In England you hear bat pad used sometimes for short leg but rarely silly point. I've only once heard an Australian commentator use silly point.
Dunno about this, pretty much every cricketer I've ever played with uses short leg and silly point to distinguish so it may just be the commentators.

cnerd123

likes this
I've always assumed bat-pad covers the broad term of fielding positions where you couldn't take those bat-pad catches - silly point, short leg, silly mid off and mid on, but haven't noticed the poms do use it almost exclusively for short-leg.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've always assumed bat-pad covers the broad term of fielding positions where you couldn't take those bat-pad catches - silly point, short leg, silly mid off and mid on, but haven't noticed the poms do use it almost exclusively for short-leg.
Indeed - we don't use silly point all that often' cos our leggies are so piss poor

TNT

Banned
Thankyou for explaining it.

Rhyming slang is stupid. It's embarrassing that Aussies try to Aussie themselves up using it.
Now that we know it bothers you we will stop immediately and just hope the billy lids don't follow suit.

S.Kennedy

Dunno about this, pretty much every cricketer I've ever played with uses short leg and silly point to distinguish so it may just be the commentators.
I have heard Warne or someone even specifically say ''offsided bat pad'' instead of ''silly point''.

PS

In England the old-fashioned term for silly point was ''bat and pad man'' and you will still occasionally hear this. Outside this we never really use the term bat-pad. It is just something rarely heard.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

The weirdest Australian thing for me is using the word "but" to finish a sentence.

"He's still playing a hell of an innings, but."

Should be at the start, imho.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is an education listening to Australian commentators.

I've noticed Australians use bat pad for silly point and short leg. In England you hear bat pad used sometimes for short leg but rarely silly point. I've only once heard an Australian commentator use silly point. I have also noticed that they use sundries for extras. The wickets first thing still confuses me - especially if the run total is below ten!! ''Pumped (up)'' - Warne uses this all the time. ''Davey Warner is absolutely pumped''. Is that an Americanism that the Aussies copy or genuine Aussie slang? And there is the new one I've discovered: ''that's for sure'' after everything - Brett Lee likes this. I have just discovered this in the Indian series: ''Pujara is certainly helping his team out here that is for sure''; ''Starc certainly bowls quick that's for sure''.

PS

The Michelle one was explained by Warne once so I knew that one.
"pumped" and "pumped up" is a very common term all around the world, especially in the US. I'd be surprised if it had somehow skipped the UK

The weirdest Australian thing for me is using the word "but" to finish a sentence.

"He's still playing a hell of an innings, but."

Should be at the start, imho.
That's not an Australian thing, that's an uneducated idiot thing. And yes, I know we do have a lot of them here.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not an Australian thing, that's an uneducated idiot thing. And yes, I know we do have a lot of them here.
Never heard it anywhere else in the English speaking world. But yeah, I'd say it is a QLD bogan thing tbh.......I've only ever heard it from Queenslanders anyway.