• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee using 'Áustralian rhyming slang' on Indian TV - 'Absolutely Salmon'

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never heard it anywhere else in the English speaking world. But yeah, I'd say it is a QLD bogan thing tbh.......I've only ever heard it from Queenslanders anyway.
Nah you're right, it's probably only really heard in Australia. I didn't want it associated with average Australian people but.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
"pumped" and "pumped up" is a very common term all around the world, especially in the US. I'd be surprised if it had somehow skipped the UK
No, I do not believe British people do say ''pumped'' or ''pumped up'' as ''pump(ed)'' means something rather different in Britain; in Britain it indicates flatulence!! Yes, when Warne says ''Davey Warner is pumped'' it is one auxiliary verb extra from sounding to us like he has just broken wind!

That and it is extremely Americanised.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rhyming slang is hardly an Australian thing anyway? Thought there was plenty of it in England.
Yeah, although the meanings probably differ a fair bit across Blighty.

Round here "Gary" means arse (Gary Glitter = ****ter), but Corrin once informed me in plastic Scouseland it means ecstasy (Gary Ablett = tablet).

"Salmon" means "tobacco" up here too. Although from the same rhyme ("Salmon trout" = snout, slightly archaic prison slang for tobacco familiar to fans of Norman Stanley Fletcher, presumably derived from the habit of snorting it as snuff).

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
****ney rhyming slang came here with the first fleet and has been a thing ever since.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Nah you're right, it's probably only really heard in Australia. I didn't want it associated with average Australian people but.
I don't even mind it. It's just used instead of "though" at the end of the sentence or "although" at the start.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Never heard it anywhere else in the English speaking world. But yeah, I'd say it is a QLD bogan thing tbh.......I've only ever heard it from Queenslanders anyway.
Rugby league commentator Greg Alexander does it once every four or five sentences, and he's from New South Wales. Penrith is kind of.. different, though.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I've noticed that Vettori does the annoying inflected sentence end thing a la Michael Clarke and he is a Kiwi, but then so does Alastair Cook (a bit) and he is a posh Englishman. Maybe it is a cricketer thing? To be a cricketer you have to talk like you are telling somebody about your university course

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've noticed that Vettori does the annoying inflected sentence end thing a la Michael Clarke and he is a Kiwi, but then so does Alastair Cook (a bit) and he is a posh Englishman. Maybe it is a cricketer thing? To be a cricketer you have to talk like you are telling somebody about your university course
Most Kiwis sound like they've just had major dental work.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most Kiwis sound like they've just had major dental work.
This reminds me. On my first visit to NZ in the 1990s, I stayed with a host family who had a boy around my age. A couple of days in he apologised if I couldn't understand him because he had recently had some dental surgery and his lip was swollen. To be brutally honest I didn't think he sounded any different to anyone else over there.