• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selfish mother ****ers

cnerd123

likes this
tbh if I had a bunch of inconsistent batsmen, 1 really good reliable batsman, and a decently strong tail, I'd probably bat the really good batsman somewhere between 4-6. If the top order clicks he walks in on a big platform and kills it. If they fail he can rebuild with the strong tail. If I send him in too early I risk losing him to a good ball from fresh bowlers with the new ball. By holding him back i reduce the odds of an early dismissal. He also gets to see how the pitch is behaving before he walks in to bat, increasing the odds of his success.

There are situations where I would like him in earlier - such as to guide a 4th innings runchase - but I can see how a Shiv or Clarke batting between 4-6 for the teams they were playing in worked.

Spark

Global Moderator
The main reason Clarke batted 5 was because he seemed to suffer from some sort of voodoo curse **** at 4 for ages, though. Ideally he would have batted 4, and did by the end of his career.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The main reason Clarke batted 5 was because he seemed to suffer from some sort of voodoo curse **** at 4 for ages, though. Ideally he would have batted 4, and did by the end of his career.
Yeh was weird. Looked like a classical #4

Kirkut

International Regular
I struggle to understand why little bit of selfishness in sports is seen negatively, all competitive sports players are selfish.

Some philosophy here - Complete selflessness is not possible, if someone appears to be selfless then there is a selfish motive behind it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You want a fun cricket conspiracy?

Footage and highlights of almost all the games in that tournament can be found online. Except for one game, where you can only find footage of the first innings but not the second.

Take a wild guess which game that is
New Zealand vs East Africa?

Dendarii

International Debutant
I can accept it for the ODI`s possibly... but he had a similar role early career for keeping the innings together even in ODI`s, we had many big hitters but few consistent batsmen. Still don`t think he was a selfish player in anyway.
I freely admit to possibly being biased, being a massive Kallis fan, but I don't think he was selfish either. I'd agree with him being slow, but as you've pointed out, that was often out of needing to anchor the innings. Yes, his scoring rate did mean that there were times when someone like Klusener would be needed to come in and score at 7+ an over to win, but if he hadn't batted the way he did then South Africa might not have even been able to get to that position in the first place.

bagapath

International Captain
Stewart was the biggest **** of all. wanted to keep his average above 40 and made the tailenders face the music in his last few innings. fate had other plans for him and he ended up with 39 point something.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When Shiv debuted he played alongside Lara, Haynes, Richardson, Ambrose and Walsh. When he finished he played alongside Shai Hope, Jason Holder and Veerasammy Permaul with Ramdin as captain

over the years that process would make anyone look out for number one i'd imagine

burr

State Vice-Captain
Has to be the best (worst) example

I don't think there has there ever been an incidental comparable to that one in Christchurch when he was England captain and batting so slowly when we needed quick runs that his vice-captain (Bob Willis) sent Ian Botham out with instructions to run him out
Yes, one of my favourite cricket stories. What an odious man.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The stories of Boycott are legendary. His partner took an eternity to read a spin bowler's deliveries; upon finally learning the key and mentioning it to Geoffrey in the middle, Geoff replied, ''oh, I figured him out ages ago''. Running out partners was pretty much routine for Boycott. In his defense he carried the Tyke batting through a tumultuous time in Yorkshire cricket when Yorkshire were left behind the other clubs who were recruiting from overseas through their ''Yorkshire born'' policy.

akilana

International 12th Man
Dunno, everyone's just saying it so I went along with it

I guess it's just because he's slow, which hasn't really been in issue in Tests except possibly costing SA time to bowl out opposition, but there are times in ODIs where his batting has cost the team
Dravid was slower than Kallis but you will never find somebody accusing him of selfishness. He is championed as the ultimate team player.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid was slower than Kallis but you will never find somebody accusing him of selfishness. He is championed as the ultimate team player.
Different though. At times it seemed that Dravid went out of his way to be a team man. Opening the batting whenever one of the openers was injured/dropped, handling the workload of being a keeper in ODIs in the WC, etc.

Do agree with you though. Kallis wasn't selfish at all. Just gets hate because he bats slow. Don't remember any innings of his that I'd classify as selfish. People in general are just stupid and find reasons to hate slow scoring batsmen.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Different though. At times it seemed that Dravid went out of his way to be a team man. Opening the batting whenever one of the openers was injured/dropped, handling the workload of being a keeper in ODIs in the WC, etc.

Do agree with you though. Kallis wasn't selfish at all. Just gets hate because he bats slow. Don't remember any innings of his that I'd classify as selfish. People in general are just stupid and find reasons to hate slow scoring batsmen.
Details but Kallis was an all rounder that particularly in his earlier career also had to bowl 15+ overs... but we are all happy that Kallis was not selfish. :)

Burner

International Regular
I'll confess, it is grating to see batsmen play in the same way that they did for the past 100 balls when the situation requires the lifting of the tempo. Some batsmen maybe don't have that higher gear and I guess might be the reason they get termed 'selfish'.