• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test team ratings since 1877

chasingthedon

International Regular
I first looked into the ICC rankings in 2008, working out their own ratings back to 1877 which was posted on Howstat's website (since taken down). Actually it was that feature which got my writing for CW.

In 2010 I looked at improving their ratings, modifying them to account for a) success away from home and b) degree of dominance, which I based on RPW:-

Improving the ICC Test Team Rating System | Cricket Web

Days of Grace

International Captain
I first looked into the ICC rankings in 2008, working out their own ratings back to 1877 which was posted on Howstat's website (since taken down). Actually it was that feature which got my writing for CW.

In 2010 I looked at improving their ratings, modifying them to account for a) success away from home and b) degree of dominance, which I based on RPW:-

Improving the ICC Test Team Rating System | Cricket Web
Yes, I have read your article and you did an excellent job there.

I always thought the ICC system had another flaw in it where they base their ratings on a period of time. South Africa, as good as they were in the 1960s, only played two series, not enough to justify a number 1 ranking. If only they played the West Indies around 1966, what a series that would have been!

In my system, your series score is added onto your ranking, which then either increases or decreases. There is no period limit. Series scores are adjusted by opposition and home/away. Adding in RPW difference was a little problematic, do I left it out. After all, winning by an innings but losing by one wicket in the next match will give you a 1-1 scoreline, which is what people will remember.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Update:

India 624
South Africa 598
Australia 573
New Zealand 515
England 509
Pakistan 501
Sri Lanka 498
West Indies 427
Bangladesh 403
Zimbabwe 350

Three clear tiers have emerged but I expect England to move into 4th over their summer tests depending on how they do against South Africa. South Africa on the other hand can move closer to India for top spot if they win in England. An unlikely 4-0 series win would put them top.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh still rightly in minnow territory in your rankings, DOG, which backs up every shred of available evidence.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Had a look at the excel. Not that even more proof was needed but SL has been sliding slowly over the last 10 years. The mini spike in 2013 is a couple of series v BD followed by the series win in Eng in '14. That spike towards the end of'16 is the 3-0 Aus win. I can't see this graph anywhere but further down in the next 5-10 years. #sad

Attachments

viriya

International Captain
Had a look at the excel. Not that even more proof was needed but SL has been sliding slowly over the last 10 years. The mini spike in 2013 is a couple of series v BD followed by the series win in Eng in '14. That spike towards the end of'16 is the 3-0 Aus win. I can't see this graph anywhere but further down in the next 5-10 years. #sad
In terms of having international quality players the ODI team looks even worse (the graph is the aggregate player ratings):
cricrate | Sri Lanka - ODI Player

The SL ODI team hasn't been this talentless since the late 80s..

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Okay so it is the total player rating points for the team plotted over time. Just gets more depressing tbh..but if you go by this we are currently where we were just before our team exploded around 1996..which is a very fair assessment of where this current SL odi side is. Except I just cannot see who will be able to propel us to the heights from 96-00 that we saw the earlier team achieve..

Days of Grace

International Captain

Great graph! Would be interesting to have a look at the other teams. Perhaps stretch out the y axis so the peaks and troughs are more evident?

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
Great graph! Would be interesting to have a look at the other teams. Perhaps stretch out the y axis so the peaks and troughs are more evident?
Yea I was hoping to do it for the other teams also at some point..but it will need some work from the look of it because the points are awarded per series so the date ranges need to grouped somehow so all teams can fit on the same range..I am not great with number tbh..I will have a crack at doing individual teams as that will be easier.

I noticed that certain teams like Aus have some empty rows ..and it seemed to coincide with the 2 great wars..but is there a reason why there are about 2 or 3 empty rows for Aus, Eng etc??

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, just separate graphs for each team would be fine.

The gap just represents the break in cricket during the wars. Teams resumed playing with the same ratings after each of the wars.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Update 10 December 2018

India 117.90
South Africa 114.42
England 112.53
New Zealand 108.24
Australia 107.12
Pakistan 101.13
Sri Lanka 99.60
West Indies 84.44
Bangladesh 82.50
Zimbabwe 66.95

New Zealand achived their highest ever rating (108.52) after the first test victory against Pakistan. They can achieve a new highest rating if they win the first test against Sri Lanka. I doubt New Zealand can achieve second place on my ratings unless they win all five tests against Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, South Africa somehow lose a couple at home to either Pakistan or Sri Lanka, and England lose against West Indies. Which is a fair enough reflection.