• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is MS Dhoni an ATG OdI batsmen?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Since everyone is doing it

Anwar
Tendulkar
Kohli
Richards
De Villiers
Dhoni
Klusener
Wasim
Garner
Saqlain
McGrath

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sure, ODI records change so much based on conditions anyways. Nothing wrong with that. But I would dare say I may not want Bevan in England or Windies either so basically its juz the southern hemisphere where I would take those two over Dhoni and Jayasuriya. And I think Jayasuriya is good for more runs than Gilly even there anyways. I will probably swap Bevan for MSD and get AB to keep in the southern hemisphere with my side.

And there is always a case for the fantasy opening pair of Sachin and Lara in an ATG ODI side. Imagine that: Top 3 of Sachin - Lara - Viv. Drooling already :)
Honestly you can't compare the Windies of Bevan's day to the WIndies of the modern era.

In fact bowling attacks all round were MUCH stronger in the 90s than they were in Dhoni's era.

Dhoni was good, but he was never as good as Bevan at chasing down totals against strong bowling attacks.

stephen

And it's not like Bevan had a bad record in either the Windies or England - averaged 73 and 56 respectively.

stephen

So I just checked - in England and the west indies, Dhoni averages 37. Bevan averages over 55 in both countries. I'm honestly not sure you'd want Dhoni over Bevan ever outside Asia.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Lol at Kohli over Ponting...

Ponting was superb bat,fielder and captain.

3 in one.

What has Kohli done apart from averaging 50+ in ODIs.

Does he he have single decent WC knockout game knock?

Dhoni is an ATG

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Only played 2 World Cups so far.

Compare him with Ponting from WC 96 and 99 and then tell me how many WC knockout performances Ponting had.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only played 2 World Cups so far.

Compare him with Ponting from WC 96 and 99 and then tell me how many WC knockout performances Ponting had.
Tbf, no one was putting Ponting up there with the greatest ever in 1999. Kohli probably needs a few innings in knockouts to put him over the top.

Shri

Mr. Glass
But you're comparing strike rates from 1996 to modern standards. 36 from 49 was acceptable back then, if not great, and 241 was a more than defendable total in that final.
Nah, this is bull****. Ranatunga, de Silva, Jayasuriya, Kaluwithrana etc consistently scored at more than run a ball at that time. It wasn't the 70s.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Think my side is pretty much settled, only query is Ponting vs Kohli, think Kohli has gone next level in ODIs but Ponting's fielding is exceptional and I place immense value on fielding in ODIs (partly why Symonds as well), and Flintoff or Kapil, but I generally go with Kapil. See no problem having Pollock at 7 in place of either of them as well, averaged 30 in that slot at a SR of 88.

- Gilchrist +
- Tendulkar
- V. Richards *
- Ponting/Kohli
- DeVilliers
- Symonds
- Kapil/Flintoff
- Wasim
- Garner
- Murali
- McGrath

Shri

Mr. Glass
Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Dhoni
Bevan
de Villiers
Klusener
Warne
Garner
Muralitharan
McGrath

stephen

The other thing to note about Dhoni is that he averages more the higher he bats in the order. At #6/7 he's very good but nowhere near his best.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, this is bull****. Ranatunga, de Silva, Jayasuriya, Kaluwithrana etc consistently scored at more than run a ball at that time. It wasn't the 70s.
That was not the norm still. That's like saying Pakistan still bat at a strike rate lower than 70 today so let's use that as the benchmark.

Shri

Mr. Glass
That was not the norm still. That's like saying Pakistan still bat at a strike rate lower than 70 today so let's use that as the benchmark.
Again, revisionist bs. Jadeja had it in him to smash Waqar. Lara, Sachin etc destroyed bowlers when they clicked at amazing strike rates every now and then. Players like Bevan did not have the ability to do that. Doesn't make them poor players but lets not pretend that their games had no defects.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Again, revisionist bs. Jadeja had it in him to smash Waqar. Lara, Sachin etc destroyed bowlers when they clicked at amazing strike rates every now and then. Players like Bevan did not have the ability to do that. Doesn't make them poor players but lets not pretend that their games had no defects.
Harsh to say he didn't have that. Didn't have it to the extent Dhoni did though.