• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is MS Dhoni an ATG OdI batsmen?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What is your top five?it better be as same as mine cos im never wrong

Kohli
AB
Viv
Sachin
Ponting
Mine are in this order:

Richards
Sachin
DeVilliers
Kohli
Abbas

viriya

International Captain
Did you even read my post?

Said it's a toss up between the two who would keep and bat top 6 in an ODI ATG XI.
MB thought you meant at #6. I think Dhoni is a clear better choice than Gilly esp when you can get a like for like replacement for Gilchrist with sehwag or jayasuriya (who bring bowling options too)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Must admit, hadn't realised he'd never scored a hundred outside of Asia.
Not outs are more important than tons for a batsman in Dhoni's position.

If you're regularly scoring tons from 5 or 6 then you're either blasting nonsense 100 (40) type innings on a regular basis or your top order is hopeless.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
MB thought you meant at #6. I think Dhoni is a clear better choice than Gilly esp when you can get a like for like replacement for Gilchrist with sehwag or jayasuriya (who bring bowling options too)
Dhoni vs Gilchrist in an AT ODI XI is about the other players. Generally speaking you go Dhoni+Jayasuria or Gilchrist+Bevan. The rest of the order is:

Tendulkar
Jayasuria/Gilchrist
Ponting
Viv
Middle order bat of choice
Dhoni/Bevan
All rounder of choice
Warne
Akram
McGrath
Garner

Given the fast bowling Warne fits better than Murali and the three quicks pick themselves. 5 and 7 are flex spots that can go to anyone.

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Dhoni vs Gilchrist in an AT ODI XI is about the other players. Generally speaking you go Dhoni+Jayasuria or Gilchrist+Bevan. The rest of the order is:

Tendulkar
Jayasuria/Gilchrist
Ponting
Viv
Middle order bat of choice(AB)
Dhoni/Bevan
All rounder of choice(Klusenar/Kapil)
Warne
Akram
McGrath
Garner

Given the fast bowling Warne fits better than Murali and the three quicks pick themselves. 5 and 7 are flex spots that can go to anyone.
Think this will do it.

If Gilly is in team then Kapil can be considered to have a strong 5th bowler and if Jaya is there then Klusenar would work. Klusenar himself is a very good finisher as well.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think Dhoni and Gilchrist can play together

Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
Viv
AB
Dhoni

is as good a top 6 as any

stephen

You're better batting Bevan at 6 than Dhoni. Bevan was a better batsman and a better finisher than Dhoni. The only reason you'd consider Dhoni is if he's keeping.

It's like picking Gilchrist or Jayasuria as opener - there are other batsmen who are the same or slightly ahead but Jaya gives you a great bowling option and Gilchrist gives you an excellent keeper (who was better behind the pegs than Dhoni).

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
You're better batting Bevan at 6 than Dhoni. Bevan was a better batsman and a better finisher than Dhoni. The only reason you'd consider Dhoni is if he's keeping.

It's like picking Gilchrist or Jayasuria as opener - there are other batsmen who are the same or slightly ahead but Jaya gives you a great bowling option and Gilchrist gives you an excellent keeper (who was better behind the pegs than Dhoni).
How about having Jaya, Dhoni and Klusenar at 2, 6 and 7.

Jaya and Klusenar together good enough for fifth bowling option.

Dhoni and Klusenar together are quality finishers.

Imagine AB batting at 5 with Dhoni/Klusenar behind. All his failed chases would become successful..!

stephen

How about having Jaya, Dhoni and Klusenar at 2, 6 and 7.

Jaya and Klusenar together good enough for fifth bowling option.

Dhoni and Klusenar together are quality finishers.

Imagine AB batting at 5 with Dhoni/Klusenar behind. All his failed chases would become successful..!
You don't need Jaya and Klusenar. One of the two will suffice. If you're going for Zulu you're better off with Gilchrist and Bevan. Bevan can give you a couple of overs of spin if needed anyway.

The thing is, when you're taking about the best ever, second best isn't good enough. Gilchrist is a better keeper than Dhoni and Bevan is a better batsman than Dhoni. Especially outside Asia.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must admit, hadn't realised he'd never scored a hundred outside of Asia.
You seemed quite surprised when you posted the same thing a few weeks ago tbf

Someone on twitter pointed out an interesting statistics about Dhoni that I didn't actually know. Outside of Asia he scored zero ODI hundreds & in fact made zero international hundred any any form of cricket at all outside of Asia, which I almost found unbelievable.

OverratedSanity

Dude does have a point wrt Dhonis away record tbf. Not that it stops him from being an ATG.
Yeah, it'd be a fair point if he was arguing for someone like Bevan to be better because of a better overseas record. Can't say that his overseas record is poor though. It's not amazing but its perfectly decent. Lots of ATGs have mediocre overseas records. Eg: Gilchrist has poor numbers in many of the countries he played in.

Even Sachin's record outside the SC was shockingly average in the 90s for such a great player. It's a flaw for Dhoni as well, but not a fatal one.

cnerd123

likes this
Away records are meant to be worse than home ones anyways. That's just how the dynamic of playing home vs away works.

Players like Rahane who do better away from home than at home are freaks.

Zinzan

You seemed quite surprised when you posted the same thing a few weeks ago tbf
Aww, look at that, I've even got you taking your time trawling through previous posts looking for evidence.... cute. Hope you're not contemplating trying to charge me your research time.

Btw, surprised to learn Dhoni never scored a ODI hundred outside Asia.